LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
PostPosted: November 6, 2013, 9:37 pm 

so, i finished the 37 page read today. great read. thank you.

as one of the ONLY 2 guys I found with a running, driving intrepid swap via google (my google ability sucks, by the way), I have to ask: what all electrically was needed to do this and make it run/drive right? im looking at doing this same drivetrain in a 914 for the grm challenge next year. kind of a fab heavy starting project before my vintage boattail speedster styled locost. you know, make sure ive got the chops for more than just muscle cars and late models.

im assuming, reading through the thread, that the ecm, tcm, and bcm are required, as well as the factory fuel module. anything else? also, it seemed to me that I read your donor was a 95. did that have the sport-shift trans? where you can just bump it forward/back to shift gears?

in other words, what im really asking is what all, besides engine/trans do I NEED to transplant from my donor car?

thanks, egoman
michael

PostPosted: November 6, 2013, 10:27 pm 

I used the complete harness and all the control modules. Also the car was a 97 model. Honestly the only way I would attempt this swap would be with a complete running car to remove everything from. I would actually replace the harness of the 914 and use all the electrics from the donor. After all the tail light bulbs from Germany don't care if the power is fed from an American wiring harness.

PostPosted: October 13, 2014, 4:54 pm 

Well after a significant amount of time has passed I took my students to the local public car insurance auction the other day for a field trip. I generally tend to listen pretty good if I am not flapping my gums.
BLAH BLAH BLAH everything is tied into the air bag module. What was that again? CRAP Today I went and dug up an unmarked module I had living in a 5 gallon pail. Well it did say Chrysler on it, so what the hell. I plugged it into the wiring harness and started the car. Well what do you know all the gauges now work even the fuel gauge. I have auto-crossed this thing 4 times and ran an HPDE where I had 4 20 minute sessions and never had a monitoring system of any type on the car. Apparently my faith was not misplaced as when the gauges jumped to life everything was completely normal.
If anyone here watches the WWE Monday night raw and Friday night smackdown then you know all I had to do was BO-LIEVE!

PostPosted: October 13, 2014, 7:02 pm 

Who needs gauges anyway. I've been autocrossing my locost for the last few years without any. After I blew up the first engine from over revving (the same day that it first moved under it's own power), I put in an msd ignition that gives me a rev limiter, good to go.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 13, 2014, 7:34 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I just got back from the SCCA Runoffs at Laguna Seca. There was a guy running a Formula Atlantic car who pulled off early due to oil pressure that was slowly decreasing. Seems the gauge (or ECU monitoring) saved a very expensive engine... They have their place in anything where the engine's considered valuable.

PostPosted: October 13, 2014, 8:04 pm 

Don't worry when I raced sprint cars and modifieds I always had the best gauges money could but this car wasn't sporting a expensive mill.

PostPosted: October 13, 2014, 8:15 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Seems the gauge (or ECU monitoring) saved a very expensive engine...

on the other hand perhaps a bad gauge ruined a very expensive season... I guess I like gauges though, it's probably a man thing deep down.

PostPosted: October 30, 2014, 8:49 pm 

Im so glad you moved this up. I loved reading the build log. From start to finish. I wish I had the skill to fab up some of the stuff you did. Good job on the car.

PostPosted: February 18, 2018, 4:12 pm 

I am just acquiring all the beginning essentials to start another build. Once again it will not be a 7 copy but it will have a lot of pics and drawings with measurements and details. The car will be a pro touring build and when started I will cross post both here and On pro-touring.com Why would I post here? The advice and technical help here, as well as the responses were fantastic.
Just a few hints about what is to come. 97 cougar XR7, C6 ZO6 suspension. full tube chassis and roll cage (NASA legal), motor is undetermined as of yet. One of my motor choices doesn't even exist yet (DID I MENTION THAT SOMETIMES I CAN BE A LITTLE CRAZY).
As long as the members are OK with this a new thread will be popping up here in the next several weeks.
What do you guys think and are you OK with that?

PostPosted: February 18, 2018, 4:36 pm 

:agree:

Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: February 18, 2018, 5:00 pm 

Glad to see you back!

> are you OK with that?

Well, you *could* have started a Smart Car with an Allison V12, but I'll have to live with my disappointment. <grin>

PostPosted: February 19, 2018, 1:17 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
One of my motor choices doesn't even exist yet (DID I MENTION THAT SOMETIMES I CAN BE A LITTLE CRAZY).
As long as the members are OK with this a new thread will be popping up here in the next several weeks.

Well it should at least be half a sports car to appear here. So if it only turns left, that should still qualify. Or if it has an engine AND brakes, parachute doesn't count. :rofl:

Making your own engine will be interesting. Your previous build log was helpful and educational, so I look forward to another. :cheers:

PostPosted: February 19, 2018, 3:25 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Oh Hell Yeah! Bring it on!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 20, 2018, 9:54 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
One of my motor choices doesn't even exist yet (DID I MENTION THAT SOMETIMES I CAN BE A LITTLE CRAZY).

Well it should at least be half a sports car to appear here. So if it only turns left, that should still qualify. Or if it has an engine AND brakes, parachute doesn't count. :rofl:

Making your own engine will be interesting. Your previous build log was helpful and educational, so I look forward to another. :cheers:

Didn't say that I was making my own engine. I am just saying that the manufacturer hasn't started making it yet!

PostPosted: December 27, 2018, 5:31 am 

I love this build. I’ve read it several times and I enjoy it more each time. Please keep us updated on what you’re up to!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next