LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
PostPosted: December 8, 2010, 10:32 am 

Well the season for auto racing is over and now its time to reflect and debrief.
After all the talk about bumpsteer and front suspension on this site, well it really didnt matter.I never rewelded the front spindles and the car handled like a dream. Besides that it turned in at the slightest wheel input. There was no waiting for things to happen. The rear bumpsteer was another issue. I could feel it moving the rear around slightly, but it never became uncomfortable.
Now to tell you about the lapping day at the track.
I arrived early as I am prone to and had to wait at least an hr. before anyone else arrived. I walked the track and by the time I got back there was still no one there. Apparently sports car racers dont get up very early.Finally the other drivers started to arrive and we took care of memberships and entry fees and the drivers meetins and etc.......
I was placed with the novice drivers and after the first few sessions of more seasoned drivers we were sent out. I ran 2 laps at a warm up pace and then got into the throttle and brakes a lot harder.This car liked the open spaces of the road course a lot more than the autocross track. I passed a few cars on the straights when I was waved by and completed the first session.A debrief with the track marshalls gave us some driving tips and we went back to prepare for the next session.
Now earlier on of the driving instructors had come by and we chatted about the car. Tire pressures were discussed and I said that I was running 15 psi. He told me that I was way out of the ball park and should raise them significantly. I had to disagree with him and explain that these were bias ply dirt track tires and any more pressure would only crown the tread surface.
He also said that the front end toe looked to be way out of whack. I asked him what he felt was right and he recommended 1/8 toe in. I figured since he was there he could hold the tape measure and we could fix it. He had told me it looked toed way out, the actual measurement was 3/16 toe in.
Now back to the story. Upon returning to the pits the tires were perfectly feathered all the way across and the car handled beautifully. The same driving instructor came over and said it looked like I could "lower" the tires a few more lbs. Allthough I accepted the instructors input on driving I think car setup will stay within my own domain.
I completed 5 sessions with no major problems and 2 spins. One was a braking bump that got me and the other was a throttle induced spin out of a tight corner.
Overall a very fun day and the only mechanical problem was the left rear strut was shaking on acceleration.
The video that I took was from the roll cage and only showed the track,kinda boring.They arent sure where the car would race(class wise)yet but they suggested a few things the car still needs. Brake and tail lights for the car and a hans device for the driver.
This will sound wierd but the first time down the front stretch with the throttle cable stretched out all I could think about was"this thing needs another 150hp."
Mark Donohue was right.

PostPosted: December 14, 2010, 7:22 pm 

Glad you got it out on a track,I'm not surprised you say it needs more power as the vids of yours I watched seem to show that.Its got good power so it's likely the power/fun sucking autotragic gearbox,any manual swaps for that thing?.

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 4:11 pm 

I dont blame the gear box for my perceived lack of power. You have to remember that I come from a circle track racing background. When I started racing it was in 600hp outlaw sprint cars that weighed 1200lbs.
I am not all that enamored with the manual gearbox for the same reason my car doesnt have a crank on it. Of course with all that being said I am building my own transaxle and it will be a standard.
The next build log will blow your mind.COMING SOON!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 4:28 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

egoman wrote:
... He also said that the front end toe looked to be way out of whack. I asked him what he felt was right and he recommended 1/8 toe in. I figured since he was there he could hold the tape measure and we could fix it. He had told me it looked toed way out, the actual measurement was 3/16 toe in...

I had the same thing happen to me. It's very likely the optical illusion caused by the chassis tapering inward as it goes forward; it makes otherwise-parallel front tires look toed-out.

"Blow our mind"? Like Hans Solo said, "I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit." There's some pretty creative people here.

Last edited by KB58 on December 15, 2010, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 6:50 pm 

You don't like manual trans??,I know there's no shifting in a sprint car but for everything else........ :D

Oh and I don't think its just your perceived lack of speed,it looks less than fast in your vids.

PostPosted: December 15, 2010, 8:20 pm 
The voice of reason

I think it's reasonable to run 1/8" toe-out in front for a track car. That's the setup on my Formula Ford. My last event was the first time I'd driven it in years and I got some similar quality advice which caused me to chase a bunch of crap that was all wrong....

PostPosted: February 17, 2011, 2:25 pm 

Well pat what did you think?

PostPosted: November 10, 2011, 11:27 am 

Small update for you guys. I had the nephew take the car put to a autocross while I was out of town and he broke it.
Nothing serious , he just snapped off the top of a old strut.
I also acquired a toy to play with on the next build which will be starting next spring or thereabouts.
Attachment:
eee.jpg
Attachment:
bbb.jpg
Attachment:
ooo.jpg
Attachment:
rrr.jpg
Attachment:
xxx.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 18, 2011, 1:06 pm 

Hi there

Have you ever weighed your car? Any idea as to the weight distribution? Do you know what the motor and trans combo weighs ?

Phil

PostPosted: December 18, 2011, 4:44 pm 

Honestly the car has never been on a scale and I dont know the engine transaxle weight. Set up was accomplished with a floorjack and a pivot on chassis centerline to achieve a neutral balance, old circle track tricks for when you dont have a set of scales. Its not exact but its very close when you have no other way.

PostPosted: April 24, 2012, 8:50 am 

:BH: hey buuuuudy......

rumor is that you are starting another creation...do tell....... :cheers:

PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 3:29 am 

egoman wrote:
Honestly the car has never been on a scale and I dont know the engine transaxle weight. Set up was accomplished with a floorjack and a pivot on chassis centerline to achieve a neutral balance, old circle track tricks for when you dont have a set of scales. Its not exact but its very close when you have no other way.

Pyhsics doesn't change just because you have paid a lot of money for electronic gizmos.

Also a bump in case there is another creation, this is what the Locost forum is about for me ...

PostPosted: May 4, 2012, 10:03 am 

I am currently torn between two ideas right now. The strange part is that one of them only has three wheels and will fly . The other will be v8 and mid engined and will be street legal. I just passed on a ebay body that was a kellison gt. The body was represented as a gt40 replica and when clarification showed it was a kellison I dropped out. I may have liked it but wasnt ready to pay for that pig in a poke.

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 2:41 am 

pmatolcsy wrote:
Hi there

Have you ever weighed your car? Any idea as to the weight distribution? Do you know what the motor and trans combo weighs ?

Phil

dry, with alternator and ac pump and one tripot cup, the engine and trans weighs 691 lbs. this is 8 lbs less than a dressed 396. no one has weighed the second gen aluminum block combo yet.
good work ego! You inspired me to get mine running- but she runs too cold to close loop and the overdrive wont engage until she gets up around 210f. I admire your initiative and problem solving-
I have a site that focuses on resetting the LH e/t in other vehicles--
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v6abduction/ it's a crappy template but its free.
todd / california

PostPosted: July 18, 2013, 4:57 pm 

Just movin this up for a new builder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next