LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 7:21 pm 
We are Slotus!

L8 apexr wrote:
horizenjob wrote:
That's great, FTD by 2 seconds - I think that means we get to count this as another successful build!
Now for some real track time...

Yes so far its been good,4 events and 4 FTD's ranging from 2 seconds to a little over 3 seconds.I'm purposely avoiding the track just yet,I want to make sure things seem good before I start cranking over 100mph and have a suspension failure or something.

Well said! While I agree with Marcus in principle, I think you're being smart by testing things thoroughly at autocross events before going "full tilt boogie" on a track. I plan on doing much the same with my car (whenever I actually finish the damn thing).

JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 3, 2011, 7:50 pm 

More autox "testing" today and the perfect record of FTDs is intact,gapped the next fastest car by 3 seconds.Forgot the gopro however. :oops:

PostPosted: October 8, 2011, 2:40 pm 

Season's over now,maintained the ftd theme with a 3 second gap.Only had 2 runs before it rained,it was barely above freezing so I packed up and bailed.

The cars really driving well after a few small changes to spring rates,alignment and rear wing angle.I have picked Avon slicks due to the softer compounds and better heat cycling to replace the used hoosiers I bought for this year,I also picked up a nearly new td04 15t from an 850r volvo.My research shows this turbo to work well on the bikes,approx 7psi on stock internals is an easy 240hp(with alcohol injection in place of an intercooler) which gets my power to weight down into the Veyron territory-but I'm geared for under 120mph currently not 240mph. 8)

Next season is going to be interesting.

PostPosted: October 8, 2011, 3:03 pm 
The voice of reason

Your going to have to be careful not to pass yourself on the course. :rofl:

PostPosted: October 8, 2011, 3:50 pm 

That was easy to do prior to the wings,now its SOOO much more stable its time to really push and see what it'll do.I need to find approx 5 seconds in order to be #1 pax,I hate pax with every fibre of my being and can't stand it but the competitive side of of me wants to beat it regardless.

PostPosted: August 7, 2012, 7:24 pm 

A little update,after almost 2 decades of autox'ing I've decided to move on as far as dedicated efforts go so in order to prep a production based car for road racing I put this up for sale.Looks like it'll end up in Wisconsin,working out the delivery details currently.
I ran an event last weekend and set FTD so over the course of 2 seasons the car has set ftd at every event attended with very minimal issues,the largest being the cv shaft used for a driveshaft.No problems at all with the cv joint itself despite running occasionally without a boot and filled with dirt.I seem to have the boot problem solved,most of it was caused by the bellows rubbing together and heating up and failing.I remounted the diff at an angle to spread the angles around the 3 shafts and moved the small end of the boot forward out of the gvoove it should sit in to keep the bellows from rubbing.
Last weekends ftd run,I've continued to make to changes to the set-up and the car is driving very well both at low speed mechanical grip and higher speed areo loads.
http://youtu.be/J80e5yxLDBg

PostPosted: August 8, 2012, 12:53 am 
The voice of reason

Why do you want to race a production car instead of your open wheel car on a track? I love road racing, but loved it much more when I moved out of a production car and into a Formula Ford. It just works so much better. Production cars weigh a lot, are harder to work on and all their parts are basically over stressed. Is it a question of what clubs will let you run?

PostPosted: August 8, 2012, 5:17 pm 

The car wouldn't qualify to run in any road race classes,buying a ready made open wheel racer isn't my style or in my budget.I have a '99 miata that I'm thinking I should run,lots of performance parts to pick from for not much $$,I'm also thinking about using the mid engined awd geo ice racer as it wouldn't take much to switch suspension to work with grip.I need to check with the rules a little more in depth to see if that would work out.They have some provisions for bike engined cars in the rules but the slant is towards purpose built bike engine cars as opposed to a production shell with one.
The miata makes 140hp and would weigh approx 2200lbs prepped for the track,the geo has 150hp and I think it will be sub 1500lbs with awd and a nearly perfect weight distribution for aft and side to side with me on board.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8