LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: sprite into locost
PostPosted: July 5, 2016, 12:35 pm 

You mentioned "2) take a mold of the pattern using an iron filled epoxy surface with epoxy glass back-up" in your list. I'm having trouble visualizing that one. Do you have a photo?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 5, 2016, 3:01 pm 

Lonnie
Not yet the UPS man should arrive today with the epoxy

PostPosted: July 9, 2016, 5:06 pm 

The UPS was here but so far the latest experiment is something of a bust. The idea was to build a mold of the headlight surrounds using epoxy-glass in the usual way. First coat the pattern with mold sealer and mold release and then build up layers of epoxy-glass. I thought an epoxy surfaced mold might not be resistant to beating a panel into it. So I thought a coating of iron filled epoxy might cut down on surface wear. This requires that the iron epoxy be painted onto the pattern as the first mold layer. As it turns out the iron epoxy is not nearly as thixotropic as I hoped it would be. The pictures show the result. I attempted to resolved my problem by putting a couple of glass laminations on quick. When the whole mess kicks off I will probably have to fix some blisters (air bubbles).

On reflection I think this may still work but I'm not sure the iron filled stuff was really worth all the bother. A plain glass mold might work as well. Also next time I won't use clay because it never gets hard it is prone to damage. Also the mold sealer (gray) developed little surface cracks which didn't go away until I put the mold release (green) on. Modeling the pattern was fun although getting right and left to match is a challenge. The stinky part is less fun :ack:

Lonnie: I hope this is clear

Questions or comments always welcome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 1:49 pm 

I'm sorry your plan didn't work out. Can you still save what you've done by applying and finishing conventional body fillers on top of your epoxy/glass work created thus far?

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 6:14 pm 

That remains to be seen Lonnie my body filler and clay on foam pattern is under that green and black stuff (the mold). I have to further build up the mold with more fiberglass and epoxy before I pull it off the pattern. THAT will be the moment of truth and I will be half way there.

The next moment of truth will be when I beat a piece of annealed aluminum into the hammer form (mold) and it comes out looking like a headlight surround. :roll:

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 10:11 pm 

vroom wrote:
That remains to be seen Lonnie my body filler and clay on foam pattern is under that green and black stuff (the mold). I have to further build up the mold with more fiberglass and epoxy before I pull it off the pattern. THAT will be the moment of truth and I will be half way there.

The next moment of truth will be when I beat a piece of annealed aluminum into the hammer form (mold) and it comes out looking like a headlight surround. :roll:

OK, I'm staying tuned for future developments. :thmbsup:

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 11:57 pm 

vroom wrote:
when I beat a piece of annealed aluminum into the hammer form (mold) and it comes out looking like a headlight surround.

Vroom, is there any chance that you could film that and post it? I'd LOVE to watch you do it!!

Bill (fascinated by guys that beat metal into shape with hammers and hand tools)(my Grandfather was a blacksmith...it must be in the blood)

PostPosted: July 22, 2016, 10:21 pm 

Hammer forming into a big hollow turned out to be pretty difficult. And figuring out the weld lines wasn't working. Then I found this pic of an AC snout being formed. It is quite similar to the Touring Ferrari I want to replicate. So I made a course correction and am building up a positive nose buck using the Hammer form negatives.

While trying to bang parts into the hammer forms I was doing a lot of annealing by the carbon black on surface and burn it off method. This is pretty tedious (air temp 98°F, high humidity) so I looked around for an alternate. I found this http://www.totalmateria.com/Article139.htm One of the graphs seems to say that heating 1100-H18 to 500°F for a few hours would anneal it to -0. All this would take is an oven capable of 500°.

Two questions:
1. Has anybody tried this ?
2. Would it work using the usual 3003-H14?

The wife says "not in my oven" but most any electric oven might do.

Lonnie, If all this back and forth positive/negative stuff makes no sense let me know and I'll make a sketch.

Bill, I would be glad to as soon as the process starts showing a little success.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 23, 2016, 7:37 pm 

vroom wrote:
. . . Lonnie, If all this back and forth positive/negative stuff makes no sense let me know and I'll make a sketch. . . .

Usually, I can figure it out after the fact if there are photos.

I ran into an interesting site off a post to Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/). Here is a photo from the subject website. I think you'd enjoy poking around there. They're in the UK. It's really cool if you love automotive metalwork.

Main page ==> http://3dengineers.co.uk/

Bucks page ==> http://3dengineers.co.uk/bucks-and-formers/

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 27, 2016, 1:36 pm 

Very cool buck but a little beyond my typical project.

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 7:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
If the wife says "Not in my dishwasher!" and you wait until she's out of town and do it any way, 1) She will find out and 2) Things will not go well for you. Trust me, I know this first-hand. You're talking about a different appliance and a different wife, but tread lightly, my friend... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 9:41 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
If the wife says "Not in my dishwasher!" and you wait until she's out of town and do it any way, 1) She will find out and 2) Things will not go well for you. Trust me, I know this first-hand. You're talking about a different appliance and a different wife, but tread lightly, my friend... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD

Been there, done, that. Big mistake! :whip:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 11:51 am 

vroom wrote:
Very cool buck but a little beyond my typical project.

Mine too, but it's very interesting that a new, high tech approach is being taken with such an old process. Their website has several examples of really cool stuff, including scanning existing cars for duplication through the creation of a body buck from the scanned data. There are clear signs that metal shaping is experiencing a resurgence world-wide. Interesting stuff is starting to show up on sites like Pinterist from many parts of the world.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 6:30 pm 

Considering you can charge $100k for an alloy body of a 550 Spyder or a C Jag I am not surprised that there is a resurgence. And we all know the alloy body only gets you part way to actually having a car.

PostPosted: October 24, 2016, 6:05 pm 

My last post was back in July. Sorry! I have been doing a lot scrap making and learning a little so here is something worth knowing:
I have never liked the soot the part and burn it off with the torch technique for annealing. It puts a lot of soot in the shop, takes a long time with my small OA set-up and uses a lot of gas. Then I happened on the ultimate solution, the Red Dragon Weed Burner. It is a giant 400,000 BTU propane torch that you plumb to a 20lb. propane tank. It takes just a few minutes to anneal even big parts. And propane is pretty cheap.

You can even use it on weeds :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next