LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 12, 2020, 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: sprite into locost
PostPosted: June 13, 2015, 7:59 pm 
Toyotaphobe

vroom wrote:
Someday I'll figure out how to get the pics in the right order :oops:

They are displayed in the reverse order of how you loaded them unless you put them "inline" in which case you can put them wherever you want to.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 13, 2015, 9:10 pm 

Totally freakin' awesome, dude. I can't believe it. Man, you can build anything now! Well almost anything. :wink: This is just tremendous. I don't know of anyone on this site who has something like this. Get that thing wired up ASAP.

Watch your fingers, though! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 13, 2015, 11:41 pm 

Thanks Lonnie
I don't know if I can get "anything" built. Basically I decided to swap the hammer for some other stuff that I hadn't used in years and probably wasn't about to. The finger thing is good advice. Can't wait to get back from NOLA.

PostPosted: June 15, 2015, 12:56 pm 

So cool, I want one! Maybe I should figure out my English Wheel first though.

PostPosted: June 15, 2015, 1:31 pm 

Damn Son, that's a helluva hammer. :shock:

can't wait to see what comes next. :lurking:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: June 16, 2015, 9:31 pm 

Just tell us what hours you're not using it and where you hide the key for the shop.
(I hope its not noisy and your bedroom isn't over the shop) :lol:

PostPosted: June 22, 2015, 9:40 am 

Hmmm let me get some panels made first. :wink:

PostPosted: June 22, 2015, 10:49 pm 

What I know about sweeps

If you have been following this post you know I recently hauled my body buck off to the Academy for the Art of Metal Shaping. Although Mark G (the chief guru) didn’t dis my buck too much it became obvious why I should have been using sweeps when I developed it. Before I went to Green Bay I didn’t know what sweeps were. I had heard of them but didn’t know why they might be useful. They generally are a method of creating large radius curves described by their arch length over (usually) a 60” distance at arch heights starting at (usually) 1/8” at proceeding at 1/8” increments.

I tried drawing some up in CAD and using the plots as patterns cut them out of card board. Next I used them to measure some of the lines on the buck and panels we had made. The low rise sweeps (<#40) need to be 48” long. Sweeps >#40 could be shorter. The big question is how many do you need and which ones. Mark said you need them all. He is selling 1 through 100 on 50 sweeps that is two per piece one concave and one convex. So far I have made 26 sweeps in cardboard and am transferring them to 1/4” BB plywood. Starting at #4 and going up in increments of four to #100 plus a #2 for the very flat side panels. The increments of four are a jump of 4/8” or 1/2”. This sounds like a lot but when you check the crown on a panel it isn’t so much because my panels never have an arch 60” long. I think these will be accurate enough for someone of my talent.

Having messed with them quite a bit it seems they will be quite useful. That is good as making a whole set in BB plywood is taking a lot of time.

They should be very handy to use with a tube roller as you can measure a tube radius while it is in the machine.

PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 10:00 am 

Hi,

I've been trying all week to post a reply here without success. I'll maybe have to post the text portion and then PM you the graphics, which I haven't been able to upload. It's really just some information about developing, then duplicating curves, either in scale or full size. You may already know this, but if not, it may help you find further information, which you'll need if you're going to do some real-life work.

The terminology you've used isn't what I'm used to with respect to laying out full-size curves. Sweeps are usually what you use to lay out curves on paper or Mylar to scale in the design phase, not full size.

I'm not sure how how he (Mark G) uses sweeps. I'm used to hearing the tools used to lay out curves full size being called splines. Splines have been used in ship and boat building for quite a while (hundreds of years?) and they can be made of many materials including wood, plastics and some metals. It used to be common for individuals to make their own, but that is no longer true. Plastic is the most common material now. I have some plastic ones that I got from a firm in Maine quite a while ago and could take some photos of the smaller ones for you. I have a very long one (about 8') that was used to lay out a dinghy.

You typically use several pieces of weighted tools called Ducks to lay out full size curves with splines. Here is a small curve being developed in the traditional way with a small spline and lead Ducks. This curve is no doubt for a yacht detail somewhere, but it illustrates the point in a small space.

<GRAPHIC> = Ducks-on-Small-Spline.jpg

When developing a buck, you would typically make a template out of some material (wood or metal usually) that matches your curve as developed with splines (or computer software) above. Then you would use that template to check your buck (usually just one station of a buck) to make sure it matches what was developed with splines (or software).

Getting back to sweeps, here is an extensive collection of traditional sweeps called "Ship's Curves", which are a variation of the French Curve, but for use on larger man made objects such as boats, airplanes and cars. There are different mathematical functions, usually polynomial equations, used to create them in your material of choice. Then you cut them out and sometimes hand finish them. Obviously, if they are commercial products, they are finished when you buy them.

<GRAPHIC> = Ship's Curves.jpg

Here is one Ship's curve to a larger scale. I have a small subset of the set shown above. The largest one is close to 24" long and is used (or was used before computer software) to design automobiles and boats.

<GRAPHIC> = Sweep-Ship's Curves.jpg

What is it you are trying to do with curves at this point? Are you going to redevelop your existing buck or make a new one?

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 10:18 am 

I seem to be limited to loading one graphic at a time, even in PMs. So, here they are (I hope) one at a time.

<GRAPHIC> = Ducks-on-Small-Spline.jpg
Attachment:
Ducks-on-Small-Spline.jpg
Ducks-on-Small-Spline.jpg [ 6.36 KiB | Viewed 3248 times ]

PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 4:54 pm 

<GRAPHIC> = Ship's Curves.jpg
Attachment:
File comment: Commercial collection of ship's curves
Ships-Curves.jpg
Ships-Curves.jpg [ 133.38 KiB | Viewed 3220 times ]

PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 4:58 pm 

Here's a common type in detail. My largest one (from a set similar to the one up above) is just about 24" long.

<GRAPHIC> = Sweep-Ship's Curves.jpg
Attachment:
File comment: One common one in larger scale.
Particular-Ships-Curve.jpg
Particular-Ships-Curve.jpg [ 15.83 KiB | Viewed 3219 times ]

PostPosted: June 30, 2015, 8:00 am 

This subject is a real rabbit hole. I have a fair math back ground and laid out my buck in CAD using b-splines. Like ships curves and french curves b-splines are just a graphic representation of polynomial equations. That said polynomial equations are not very useful to people with no math training and of no use at all for someone faced with a full sized buck trying to get it to "flow". This "flow" thing is a big part of the art of body design and why those Italian bodies look so great. It is also not easy to define in words but if you lay a set of sweeps on a buck you can see it or not. Not a very logical explanation I know. But I'm stickin' to it.

PostPosted: June 30, 2015, 8:08 am 

Lonnie

Sorry in answer to your question I am using the sweeps to add a little more "flow" to my buck stations and to resolve some problems around the cockpit. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: June 30, 2015, 9:22 am 

vroom wrote:
...not very useful to people with no math training and of no use at all for someone faced with a full sized buck trying to get it to "flow". This "flow" thing is a big part of the art of body design and why those Italian bodies look so great. It is also not easy to define in words but if you lay a set of sweeps on a buck you can see it or not. Not a very logical explanation I know. But I'm stickin' to it.

TLAR* Engineering!!!!

*That Looks About Right

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.
Girlfriend thinks I'm nuts for building this....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next