LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 31, 2022, 11:26 pm 

I would like to find out, how close to the original has to be the car that I'm building, to be able to register it as an early Lotus 7?
I would like to modify the look of the car, to look more modern.
Should I build it first to look as close as possible to the original, and then I can modify it after the registration?

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

Last edited by tibimakai on August 7, 2023, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 12:00 am 

Missouri didn't care how close my car looked to an original seven, but my insurance company did want pictures of the car. you may want to check with your insurance company, especially of you change it significantly after you initially get it insured.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 1:10 am 

I'm not planning to change it a lot, but I would like to borrow some ideas from Donkervoort.
For example, Donkervoort has a top/flat hood, so the sides are fixed. I like that idea, much easier to build/to open.
Another idea that I have and it would be easier to make, is a pre war type hoods that open on both sides and eventually use a completely different grille(pre war style).
This way, the engine height wouldn't be a big issue. Mine is sticking out at least 10" front(VVT valve) and back. 1" below the chassis.
I like their doors, specially those that have a top together with the side part, but even just the side ones are great. The exhaust exits at the back, and not at the side.
This is not a Donkevoort, but if it would look like this, I would be happy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 12:57 pm 

The answer will vary by state and possibly the person behind the counter. In Illinois, my car built to the "book" was legally registered as a 1960 Lotus "Custom". It was registered under the "custom vehicle" classification which was a SEMA backed legislation. Many states have adopted the SEMA recommendations with varying changes. I am not aware of the California SB100 requirements. In my case, I sent pics of a 1960 Lotus Seven along with my application with photos of my car with an application after getting the application package from our Sec of State's office. I had no trouble with the VIN/registration other than typical red tape delay. My guess is the further the person has to squint to see the car it replicated, the more likely it will be denied.

YMMV

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 1:39 pm 

Very interesting update on the L7 design!

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 4:27 pm 

I don't think any of the styling queues you want to use will matter. I thought you were going to be more drastic.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 1, 2023, 10:21 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

It may well come down to the personality/car knowledge of the DMV person and the insurance agent. I managed to register and ensure my mid-engine "Seven" without issue. That said, I may have been very careful about how I framed the photos supplied to the insurer. In my mind, it makes no difference where the engine is, but suspected that if I showed the engine as being behind me, it would light the fuze on a conversation that I couldn't defuse.

PostPosted: January 2, 2023, 2:25 pm 

I don't think that you need to concern yourself over styling mods. When I registered mine they really didn't give a damn. I have two other examples of "yeah whatever" approaches to registration. As much of a PITA as California can be about things automotive, we get off light (Knocks wood) on scratch builds. That said, all it would take is one douchebag bureaucrat to make your life difficult, so you may want to connect with local builders to see if one DMV branch is more friendly than others. Same with CHP. But I think that the CHP has so many other problems on their hand, that one builder won't be worth harassing.

My favorite example is when I tried to register for street use an old Fiat that had been converted to a race car. The builder had removed the all important VIN plate. Took it to a CHP and the guy was super helpful. He said basically:"How important to you is it that this car be registered as a Fiat?" Me: "Not much". Him: "Well if you want to register it a a Fiat, it's going to take a while and be an expensive PITA. If you want to register it as a specially constructed vehicle I'll have you out of here in 15 minutes."

PostPosted: January 2, 2023, 3:07 pm 

Kreb, would Cali allow a homebuilt to be registered as a Lotus and have an early model year? (as in what the title says?) I am assuming you are thinking of title via SB100?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 2, 2023, 11:36 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yes, in California, via SB100, you can claim a home built car to be a "replica of a 1962 Lotus Seven", assuming that it more or less resembles one.

PostPosted: January 3, 2023, 6:51 pm 

"more or less". Here's my '27 Ford. Splitting image, isn't it?:

PostPosted: January 4, 2023, 4:32 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The fact is, everybody doesn't follow their own rules or care about their performance beyond getting paid. While there is a narrow path to follow to right a wrong, the best you can hope for after a lot of effort is to get what you should have been entitled to per the code and no apology. There is little to no accountability or "merit" in getting into these positions.

Looks great Kreb. Is there a site where you shared the build because I didn't find anything about it here.

Specs? (rad, ifs, irs, etc)

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 4, 2023, 10:47 pm 

The build was originally by the illustrious Ted Aston. I'm in the process of modifying it to my own tastes. Think of it as a Locost on steroids - SBC, Discs all around, IRS (FORD 8.8 with LSD). I'm widening the body, raising the rear roll bar, replacing the fiberglass body panels with steel and building a functional boot as well as changing misc details such as adding an in-tank fuel pump. It's got an auto, so I probably won't track it, but I want to be able to run multi-day summertime rallies in it.

I'll probably do a summary build story, but don't anticipate doing a real-time log.

PostPosted: January 4, 2023, 10:47 pm 

duplicate post

PostPosted: January 5, 2023, 9:52 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

kreb wrote:
The build was originally by the illustrious Ted Aston. I'm in the process of modifying it to my own tastes. Think of it as a Locost on steroids - SBC, Discs all around, IRS (FORD 8.8 with LSD). I'm widening the body, raising the rear roll bar, replacing the fiberglass body panels with steel and building a functional boot as well as changing misc details such as adding an in-tank fuel pump. It's got an auto, so I probably won't track it, but I want to be able to run multi-day summertime rallies in it.

I'll probably do a summary build story, but don't anticipate doing a real-time log.

Sounds good. I'm not familiar with Aston. I'd like to know what spindles and coilovers were used and some pics of the irs chassis whenever you write the blog. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12