LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA requirements
PostPosted: September 25, 2006, 8:53 pm 

For those registered in PA, what were some of the mandatory items?

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25, 2006, 11:25 pm 
Locostering Legend

Scott,

Check out the form here:

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/ ... v-426B.pdf

You can download the applicable PA Code, also. You can get away without bumpers. I included a photo of a Lotus 7 to show the state that the car is a replica of a car without bumpers. I gave them the lights and heat shields; simple stuff. Some of the lights and heat shield have since "fallen off".

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26, 2006, 6:04 am 

I've seen that form before while digging through alot of the PA code stuff. I didn't want to build a car that wouldn't be legal. How about a windshield? Do you think that would be required? I want a windshield, but if I can legally drive the car sooner without one, that'd be spiffy. So you need a heatshield for the muffler huh? No biggie, probably end up burning myself anyway :p What sort of lights other than the obivous were needed? The form is kinda' vague, not telling you what's required, just check the box if it may or may not be there....kinda' hard to know what to do.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject: PA Code Requirements
PostPosted: September 26, 2006, 7:39 pm 
Locostering Legend

Scott,

You have to read the code:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/c ... pKtoc.html

I've read it a dozen times. Any questions/interpretations you need to discuss with your inspection mechanic of choice. He will have to inspect it twice. It looks like a windshield is required. Bumpers clearly are not.

I think I need a windshield on my Locost At-om even though, from the factory, it has none. I'll omit the defroster. If it fails, I'll use the electric ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26, 2006, 8:12 pm 

While driving home today I stuck my head above the windshield of my miata doing about 40mph, I'm gonna' put a windshield on it before I spend any time getting it inspected. Logic tells me, if I have a WS, I need WS wipers...and probably a defroster...but if it has no roof....I was thinking of putting a hinged WS on it, kinda' like a jeep, giving me options.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject: Re: PA requirements
PostPosted: January 16, 2010, 3:53 pm 

Scott,
If your inspection station mechanic is on the ball and knows his stuff, he should ask that you have demisters during his inspection. I found a 12V ceramic heater (I think at Harbor Freight) with a built in fan
when I completed my Factory Five Roadster 7 years ago. When you hit the defrost switch, it actually produces "some" hot air and the blower motor hums to satisfy the requirement. Of course, if the sbf is barking out the side pipes, it can't be heard. Plan to use the same set up with the Seven.
Don

PostPosted: January 16, 2010, 8:53 pm 
Locostering Legend

PA DOT's QA inspector was too busy measuring my scrub lines and angular fender coverage to look for demisters when he came to my garage. Neither of my "spec constr" cars have them.

PostPosted: January 17, 2010, 2:18 pm 

Jon,
Let me make sure what your guy was looking for. First, was he a state DOT inspector? When I registered the Cobra 7 years ago, the state registered mechanic was the only person that "inspected" the completed KIT to fill out the MV-426 & MV-1 forms. The title/registration lady never did see the car. Only the stack of paper.
Anyway, are you referring to the lower fender angle cut we Seven guys all seem to make on the front and back of the rear fenders 'cause it looks nice? And, also I guess the angular sweep of the front fender. Mine go from about 2 o'clock ahead of the front wheel centerline to about the lower body edge. I think pretty close to most others I have looked at on the forum. Do you think I may have a fender problem, or that was just your inspector's "thing" to give builder's a headache?
Thanks for you insite,
Don

PostPosted: January 17, 2010, 2:37 pm 
Locostering Legend

My standard (as you described) application was rejected. I resubmitted photos demonstrating the fixes. PA DOT made an appointment to send the QA inspector to inspect my car in my garage. He's the guy that visits your inspection mechanic periodically and gives them crap.

He was looking for the angular fender coverage; ie. coverage 15 degrees forward and 75 degrees aft of the vertical wheel centerline. I'd think the high side of the angle cut would have to satisfy the degrees of coverage. It's not a very large fender. I was just trying to minimize mine.

PostPosted: January 17, 2010, 3:48 pm 

Thanks Jon,
I was not aware of the 15 degrees, but I feel pretty sure I'm OK. I have the fiberglass parts out for paint, but I may go pick up a front fender, reinstall the mounting bracket, take a side picture of the car and use a protractor on the picture to measure angle.
Thanks again,
Don

PostPosted: February 18, 2010, 6:18 pm 

N. Versailles Cobra wrote:
Thanks Jon,
I was not aware of the 15 degrees, but I feel pretty sure I'm OK. I have the fiberglass parts out for paint, but I may go pick up a front fender, reinstall the mounting bracket, take a side picture of the car and use a protractor on the picture to measure angle.
Thanks again,
Don

I was told today that my paper work will be sent shortly. After sending it in October. They required me to put bumpers on my Seven. They will come off.You do need 15 degrees ,defroster,mirrors scrub line exposed fuel filler. And a couple of other things. Any help you might need, just ask.
Joe

PostPosted: August 11, 2010, 1:39 pm 

Ugh I need a defroster on a specially constructed vehicle with no roof!? What kind of windshield material do you guys use?

Also, I assume that I can use components that are "for racing only" like brakes and seat belts/harnesses since it is a totally custom car?

I'm seeing that I need a 12" high windshield and I don't need the squirters?
Only "some part" of a bumper must be 12-20" above the ground.

PostPosted: August 11, 2010, 5:07 pm 
Locostering Legend

Neither of my cars has a defroster. Depends on your inspection mechanic.

My Wilwoods don't have stamped on them "Racing Only". I have dual brakie circuits. Your mechanic might look for "DOT" on many components. Choose your mechanic carefully.

As far as I know, seat belts are not required.

12" high windshield unless the car you are replicating had less, per code.

My Locost 7 passed w/o bumpers, since original car had no bumpers.