LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 19, 2011, 11:02 am 

I'm getting close :)

I have read and reread the guidelines for registration in Ontario and there are still a few areas I am unsure on, hopefully some of you lucky guys who have your cars on the road can help:
- do I need a sun visor? NO
- do I need windshield wipers and a defroster? Wipers YES
- do I need the ignition inhibitor for the clutch? NO
- do I need reflectors or side markers?NO
- do I need daytime running lights? NO but I did need PARKING LIGHTS
- how do i provide proof of weight (I have weigh scales and access to professional engineers) - NOT NEEDED
- and finally, I need a sworn affidavit to get the VIN number so I can get the safety. Do I then use the same affidavit to get the vehicle registered? USE THE AFFIDAVIT TO GET THE VIN - that is all it is needed it for

Thanks for any and all help

Adam

Last edited by locost_adam on July 13, 2011, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 12, 2011, 9:32 am 

I have started the process.
1: Get a sworn affidavit - make sure the affidavit states it is a kit and where and when you purchased the kit - in my case the body (front and rear arches) was purchased from Curtis, with material from Metal Supermarket for the frame. Provide original receipts for all the major components and supporting customs paperwork (receipt for the car, the arches, the nosecone, tubes and aluminum)

2: Take all of #1 to a friendly MTO office, be patient and hopefully have a VIN issued. As I didn't have insurance mine was registered as unfit, so I have to trailer it for the safety. If you have insurance then you can get the 10 day permit and drive it to the safety inspection.

3: Complete a safety inspection....

got this done today at a local garage. Nothing to it (although you do need to make a VIN# plate that matches the VIN# you received in #2. I just had to add parking lights and passed the inspection.

4: Get insurance, Currently working with a Hagerty broker in Guelph, but the progress is painfully slow, I am not sure they know what they are doing so I may try another broker.

Got insurance. I had to fill in several forms, provide photos but no appraisal. Also had to state that i had a daily driver. Insurance in hand I went to the MTO and got plates abd a sticker valid for this year (my birthday is Dec 30).

It is all legal