LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 12:00 am 

here is a site that i found pretty usefull, I hope that it can help others.

Ken

http://www.erareplicas.com/statereg.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 12:07 am 

OOh very nice find. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 1:02 am 

hmmm this was listed under Oklahoma

Quote:
posted July 10, 2002 02:22 PM

Oklahoma, NO state inspection required. If the MSO says 1965, that's what it's titled as.

whats an MSO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 1:16 am 

sagz wrote:
hmmm this was listed under Oklahoma

Quote:
posted July 10, 2002 02:22 PM

Oklahoma, NO state inspection required. If the MSO says 1965, that's what it's titled as.

whats an MSO?

Manufacturer's statement of origin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21, 2006, 1:12 pm 

What if its build from scratch? This is the only thing that scares me. There won't be an MSO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21, 2006, 3:13 pm 
This is a question that I have had. What are the legalities about a MSO? Who can write a MSO? If you "Manufactured" the frame then are you not the manufacturer and can't you get into Word and create a document that states that the frame is a replacement frame for a 57 Lotus America? How many replacement parts have you bought over the years that other than the markings on the box bore no resimblance to the original part?

Years ago I got a rather lengthy fixit ticket on a Dune bugy I had built. Two items on it wer bumpers and modified exhaust. The car was registered as a Spcstn so I was the mfg. The bumper statute stated a device provided by the mfg designed to protect the body. I bolted VW over rider rubber strips to the fiberglass argued the point with the CHP and he signed off. Same with the exhaust, since I was the mfg and this was what I had installed it was obviously not modified. The fenders were even better. Cars under 1500 lbs didn't require fenders. By removing everything not bolted down, including the passenger seat (the doors were next) I got a weight slip for 1450 lbs. I showed this to the CHP and offered to remove the offending fenders if he wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22, 2006, 3:42 pm 

I found this site informative.

http://www.dmv.org//custom-built-cars.php

"The ultimate skill is to take up a position where you are formless." Sun Tzu

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22, 2006, 4:03 pm 

locostv8 wrote:
Years ago I got a rather lengthy fixit ticket on a Dune bugy I had built. Two items on it wer bumpers and modified exhaust. The car was registered as a Spcstn so I was the mfg. The bumper statute stated a device provided by the mfg designed to protect the body. I bolted VW over rider rubber strips to the fiberglass argued the point with the CHP and he signed off. Same with the exhaust, since I was the mfg and this was what I had installed it was obviously not modified. The fenders were even better. Cars under 1500 lbs didn't require fenders. By removing everything not bolted down, including the passenger seat (the doors were next) I got a weight slip for 1450 lbs. I showed this to the CHP and offered to remove the offending fenders if he wanted.

That is great - I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2006, 11:00 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

locostv8 wrote:
This is a question that I have had. What are the legalities about a MSO? Who can write a MSO? If you "Manufactured" the frame then are you not the manufacturer and can't you get into Word and create a document that states that the frame is a replacement frame for a 57 Lotus America?

Thats my understanding as well. If I built the frame from something that was not a frame previously then I am a not-for-profit mfg. I gave it to myself when it was finished so there is no tax evasion. In general, a license is not required to make something.

In Georgia, a vehicle simply has to look like something over 25 years old to bypass the emission issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2006, 2:25 pm 
Most states put a lot of faith in MSOs I'm just not sure of the leagalities of a MSO.