LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 28, 2012, 7:03 pm 

10 years ago I bought my donor car sweet upgraded engine made from various years of Rx7s. I raced the car for years and then made my donor. I put an old engine in it and traded it in at the cash for clunkers. I am ready to register my car, yet none of the driveline numbers match my title.

What do you suggest?

I could buy another car with matching numbers. Then swap out my engine and tranny, what a pain.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by kill no cone on February 16, 2012, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Got a problem...
PostPosted: January 28, 2012, 8:12 pm 

You didn't get the idea from me :wink: but a "receipt party" sounds to be in order. .......
Out here at least, they just want to see something that claims to represent a chain of ownership.

PostPosted: January 28, 2012, 11:13 pm 

What I found on my RX7 engine was an engine number that did not match the VIN, not even the same number format. It is at the top of the front iron. Nor did I find any serial number on the trans or diff, although I admit I didn't look very hard for those. I wrote a cover letter with my application to the state saying I knew the VIN number they came from and I knew the engine number (sort of as one of the digits could have been a 3,6 or 8). All they needed was a bill of sale from the previous owner which I got after the fact. He had never transferred the title in his noame nor the owner before him.

I did contact Mazda North America. They can tell you the engine number if you can give them the VIN number of the engine. That is unless the car had a salvage title (like mine). Once a salvage title is reported to Mazda, they purce the serial numbers for some strange reason.

Maybe an affadavit from you that the engine came from a car owned by you whose engine was swapped then sold several years ago would suffice.

BTW, congrats on getting to the registration point. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 1, 2012, 11:21 pm 

Good info about the mis-match numbers from Mazda.
And thanks about the compliment, I am pretty pleased.
JEB

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 4:17 pm 

Took my car to the Washington State Patrol Vehicle Inspection site yesterday...and I passed!

They did not even look at the engine numbers.

I will write more when I get the rest of the paperwork together!

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 5:03 pm 

Yay!!! Excellent news.

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 7:23 pm 

Well after a number of hours, I have a vin number! It was a crazy day, and the powers that be were with me. First, I had to schedule 10 days ahead, in the wet western Washington. Well it was wet on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday of this week, yet Wednesday was clear and sunny. Wednesday was the day I had my Washington State Patrol inspection. Got there at 1:00, he was running late. At 1:30 he ran out and jumped in a WSP cruiser and was off. I sat and enjoyed the sun. At some point a WSP person came out and asked me to hold tight, and said the inspector had to go to find the vin numbers on three stolen cars. 2:30 has was back and we talked about the beautiful; sunny weather we are having. He took a look at the papers, the car, asked about the papers again.

He asked if it was a kit, and I said no it was a reproduction based off of a 1948 Lotus Mk 1. He looked around a bit more and then asked if it was a homebuilt (I have been down that road*). I said it was an "assembled car" based on a purchased frame. I mentioned it started as a 1948, and I just could not find body pieces for that car in my price range. So, I picked up the body panels for a 1967 Lotus seven (after they went from formed metal to fiberglass body panels). Then we talked about the drive train and suspension pieces. I gave him a document which outlined what pieces came from the two donor cars.

I had been concerned about engine numbers and vin numbers not match between the parts from my 1985 Rx7. This was not a problem at all.

I had also been worried about the car not having a windshield, fenders, or bumpers; even though I have the state vehicle codes (RCWs). He asked if it was for occasional use, in fair weather conditions? I said yes. He asked if it would be licensed as a collector vehicle, I said yes. At this point he did not care about any of those details, he said "no problem."

He took the paperwork and left for awhile. Half an hour later he came back with his drill and installed two vin plates. Wahoo! Then he was off again, and another 30 minutes later he came back with all the paper work, with a bunch of red stamps over them. He said he could not get the printer to work, and asked if he could just send it in the morning, since there were other cars to be inspected and it was 4:00. No problem to me!

To tell you the truth, I am not sure it was the plethora of paperwork (thanks so muck Jack). Or, the sunshine, or that he was running behind, or because of his positive experience he had with rotaries in the past, but I ended up with a vin and I am a happy camper.

* One thing I learned about the process is that it REALLY matters who you talk to, and what you say. If you talk with one inspector and if you do not hear the right thing, go find another. I told the first inspector too much information. I told him about the pieces I had built, so he determined it was a "homebuilt," which in Washington means it needs to have air bags and pass smog tests. (My old rotary would not pass a smog test even if it was turned off!). In talking about the "kit car" angle I would have to have shown all the pieces to be DOT approved materials. This can be an tricky path! The other options in Washington state are "street rod" (1948 or older), a "custom car" (1949 to 1972), or "assembled." Since my car was assembled from donors the pieces were DOT approved. Since it was a reproduction of a 1948, it can be licensed as a street rod with minimal requirements.

Thanks for all the couching from the Locost USA crew and especially to Jack M, Chuck and Peter U!

PostPosted: February 16, 2012, 8:31 pm 

Congratulations!! Glad to see another car make it through registration in WA. Sounds like you have a very reasonable inspector too. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 21, 2012, 6:58 pm 

Got my plates today, and ROTUS is now officially a 67 Lotus…Next, insurance.