LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Book build in Idaho
PostPosted: September 21, 2012, 5:32 pm 

I thought it wise to check the laws here in Idaho before getting too far into my build. I'm building a book build with a 1980 Toyota Corolla donor.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH5.htm

It appears to me that I have two choices. Title it as a replica, which would fall under the rules applying to the year the vehicle replicated was made, or title it as a specially constructed vehicle which means I would have to comply with 2013 federal safety and emission laws.

I talked to our motor vehicle inspector, she seems really reluctant to title it as a replica.

Any ideas out there? I really don't want to be stuck having to comply with 2013 emissions and safety laws if I can avoid it!

Post subject: Re: Book build in Idaho
PostPosted: September 21, 2012, 6:38 pm 

I found the definitions in Title 45, chapter 1: 49-123(n)-(p).

Idaho 49-123(n) wrote:
(n) Replica vehicle. A vehicle made to replicate any passenger car or truck previously manufactured, using metal, fiberglass or other composite materials. Replica vehicles must look like the original vehicle being replicated but may use a more modern drive train. At a minimum, replica vehicles shall meet the same federal motor vehicle safety and emission standards in effect for the year and type of vehicle being replicated.

Idaho 49-123(p) wrote:
(p) Specially constructed vehicle. Every vehicle of a type required to be registered not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles and not materially altered from its original construction and cannot be visually identified as a vehicle produced by a particular manufacturer. This includes:
(i) A vehicle that has been structurally modified so that it does not have the same appearance as a similar vehicle from the same manufacturer; or
(ii) A vehicle that has been constructed entirely from homemade parts and materials not obtained from other vehicles; or
(iii) A vehicle that has been constructed by using major component parts from one (1) or more manufactured vehicles and cannot be identified as a specific make or model; or
(iv) A vehicle constructed by the use of a custom kit that cannot be visually identified as a specific make or model. All specially constructed vehicles of a type required to be registered shall be certified by the owner to meet all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect at the time construction is completed, and all requirements of chapter 9, title 49, Idaho Code.

I believe these definitions come somewhat from SEMA laws enacted in 2008.

If you're building a Lotus Seven replica, and it looks recognizably as a Lotus Seven, then I would say that the replica vehicle definition fits. Also, I'd be hard pressed to argue that your vehicle would comply with (p)(i)-(iv), at all. I would take a picture of what a Lotus Seven looks like, and perhaps some pictures of finished book builds, and see if her opinion changes. Otherwise, just break out the statute book and start nitpicking the laws.

PostPosted: September 21, 2012, 7:06 pm 

NoCost wrote:
I talked to our motor vehicle inspector, she seems really reluctant to title it as a replica.
Find another inspector...Preferably one with a more intimate knowledge of classic cars, replicas, and the noted laws associated with them.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 21, 2012, 8:44 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
NoCost wrote:
Find another inspector...Preferably one with a more intimate knowledge of classic cars, replicas, and the noted laws associated with them.

Wish I could, but they're assigned by the state to cover a set number of counties, and she covers mine and 10 more.

PostPosted: September 21, 2012, 9:52 pm 

There's a guy in Twin Falls that built and registered his locost. I don't have an immediate way to contact him to ask that he share his DMV experience with you. If he shows up at the SRRSCCA autox at the end of this month I'll ask him to contact you.

Ron

PostPosted: September 21, 2012, 10:34 pm 

If you are building a Sevenesque car, ( I assume you area) that is what the legislators had intended the "Replice Vehicle" was for. If you are building a middy or atomesque car, then it doesn't resemble an older vehicle. That is what the "Specially Constructed Vehicle" is for. SEMA pushed for that legislation in Idaho and it was passed by your legislation and governor over 5 years ago . Did your inspector indicate what her reservations were? Show her the legislation and photos of period Sevens, showing the cycle or clamshell fenders you intend on using. Ask her if she has ever registered a "Replica Vehicle" before. And in your most humble voice, ask what part of your build prevents you from using the "Replica Vehicle" path of registration.

Be polite, but be persistent. Play dumb and keep asking why not. Try to get her to say why not in specifics.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 1, 2012, 9:38 pm 

Hey NoCost, be sure to keep us updated. I am from Moscow, ID and would love to know what happens with you. I'd like to build one soon as well and will need to go through all this myself. :BH:

Thanks!

PostPosted: May 12, 2013, 4:16 pm 

NoCost, did you get any more info on this? Did you successfully register it as something? I am taking my locost in for inspection on Tuesday and am planning on trying to register it as a 1969 Lotus Super 7 replica. If you have any tips for me that'd be great, otherwise I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: May 14, 2013, 2:35 pm 

The Latah county inspector was great. I showed him a link to an album of photos for a 1965 Lotus 7, and he compared them with my car and considered it a recognizable replica. We went through the receipts and he was very pleased with my preparation (thanks Idaho7 for keeping/passing on such great records!). After about one hour we were done and he was on his way!

PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 4:18 pm 

This makes me very happy!! I will be building my frame over the winter and hoping to have it done and driving by the end of next winter. sorry for bringing a post back from the dead! If any of you other Idaho builders are in the Boise area, I would love to meet up and get some pointers and check out some different chassis' as I am unsure if I want to build a book or a 442.