LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: washington state
PostPosted: January 25, 2013, 5:13 pm 

i have been looking for ever trying to find if in the state of washington do i need to have a parking/emegency brake installed in my car?

Post subject: Re: washington state
PostPosted: January 25, 2013, 5:41 pm 

If being registered as a Custom or Street Rod this may not hold true, but at least for Kit cars it appears a parking brake would be required.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.519

I have not seen/found any separate inspection requirements or road safety equipment exemptions for Street Rod and Custom cars. As such, based on the following I would guess that if it's not called out elsewhere specified for Street Rod and Custom cars, they are likely to also still fall under the "Every motor vehicle" statement regardless of titled age.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.340

Hopefully somebody else that's actually been through the process can provide some useful information that I haven't come across yet. Or you could try giving WSP a call, since they would administer the inspection. Is there a good reason not to have any type of parking brake installed?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 26, 2013, 6:06 pm 

well my dad hadnt installed one in the car. he was goign to race it but changed his mind and wanted to make it a fun road car. my dad passed away 2 weeks ago and i am finshing it. i just need to get the facts in it before i start to pull apart the tunnel to install one.

PostPosted: January 26, 2013, 9:32 pm 

Give kartracer47 a PM. He's been thru this recently.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 26, 2013, 11:47 pm 

I did it all to get my car thru the inspection including lights, brakes, wipers, windshield and parking brake (except for front fenders). I also had a certified weight that is available from any comercial truck scales. My inspector in Port Angeles ONLY WANTED verification of body (receipts for fiberglass supplies from Baxter Auto), frame (Online Metal receipts), certified weight and engine number (copy of title as donor was scrapped). He was a little concerned about the copy of the title (color copy) but I explained that the scrap yard required the title. THAT WAS IT!
I asked if he was going to check anything on the car? He said construction looked very good and it was up to a Trooper if he wanted to stop me and check.
NOW, other inspectors may want to do a further check. Clallam county is NOT a smog county so I have no emissions requirement but it is registered as a 2012.
I have driven in excess of 3000 miles so far without being stopped.

JMR

There is a photo in my build log of the inspector attaching the VIN # while in the trailer. I did not even have to take it out.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: January 27, 2013, 2:56 am 

ok the car has headlights and brake lights,turn, horn. it doesnt have windshield wipers or e brake. so if you didnt hsve those 2 things on your car do you think they woud have said anything?

PostPosted: January 27, 2013, 8:49 am 

Assuming you are registering under the Custom Vehicle catagory....

Quote:

46.37.518 Street rod, custom, and kit vehicles—Optional and required equipment. Notwithstanding the requirements of this chapter, hoods and bumpers are optional equipment on street rod vehicles, custom vehicles, and kit vehicles. Street rod vehicles, custom vehicles, and kit vehicles must comply with fender requirements under RCW 46.37.500(2) and the windshield requirement of RCW 46.37.410(1). [2011 c 114 § 9; 1996 c 225 § 12.]

Quote:
RCW 46.37.410
Windshields required, exception — Must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.

There appears to be no exemption for Parking Brakes. All cars must have them and there is no specificed exemption for Custom Vehicles. Kit Cars Must have them.

Quote:
Braking equipment required.
(2) Parking brakes -- adequacy. Every such vehicle and combination of vehicles shall be equipped with parking brakes adequate to hold the vehicle on any grade on which it is operated, under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material. The parking brakes shall be .......

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 27, 2013, 1:31 pm 

mod9 wrote:
ok the car has headlights and brake lights,turn, horn. it doesnt have windshield wipers or e brake. so if you didnt hsve those 2 things on your car do you think they woud have said anything?

Regarding wipers, read the second half of #1 in the following link.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.410

Basically, if there is a windshield it must have wipers...If there is no windshield, then there is no wiper requirement but does require driving with face protection.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 12:18 pm 

i went to the wsp station to talk to the officer that will be doing the inspection and he has told me that his main objective is to make sure we are not building these cars out of stolen parts. he said i didnt need to have a emergency brake installed or even seats in the car.make sure all you documentation is in order to the "T" and all your markers are stamped DOT. good luck.

PostPosted: April 3, 2013, 12:48 pm 

The inspector is TITLING the car -- that is, transferring legal ownership of the parts to you. He goes down a checklist and marks only whether or not each item is compliant. This is to protect the DMV from accusations of prejudice in the issuance (or denial) of titles.

When you get on the road, any cop who cares will be doing a SAFETY inspection, and without a parking brake, you won't pass.

At that point, it's up to the cop to either write an equipment violation or impound it as unsafe to operate. One way or another, you'll need a parking brake before the car will be legal to drive again, so you might as well install one during the build.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 2:56 pm 

Went for the inspection yesterday morning to the Marysville State Patrol inspection lane. There were two lady inspectors, both very friendly. One said she had something very similar just a couple of weeks ago so I think that helped with the process. Weren't breaking new ground. Were there for 1 and 1/4 hours while they both poured over the pile of receipts I gave them. A couple of questions about the aluminum in the body (receipts for 3 4X10 sheets), where the fenders came from (Kinetic for the rear and Fenders n More for the fronts) and where the number on the engine was. That was a problem area for me as I was a little short on documentation for the engine. Told her it came with the Miata parts that I had the title for. She wanted to see the number. She looked and looked but couldn't find it. I was a little worried at that point because she went back into the office without saying anything else and was on her computer for a while. Apparently the numbers on my Miata title checked clean and my apprehension turned to relief when she walked out with the VIN plate in her hand and asked where would be a good place to put it. We decided on the firewall.

The bill of sale for the Miata pieces stated no transmission or rear end so those were questioned. Had a receipt from the U-Pull-It in Omaha for the transmission. She said I stole it because it only cost me $35. The receipt for the rear end was a print out of an eBay purchase. Also a steal at $10 for an '81 Celica GT rear end and axles. Had heard that PayPal and eBay receipts were ignored but that was not my experience. Had a handful of both and none were rejected. All in all a painless experience.

So it's is legally a custom 1963 Lotus Seven Replica. By being declared a custom that relieves me from all sorts of painful stuff
like smog, front license plate, bumpers, etc.

So I have an almost street legal Locost. Almost because when I went to
the DOL to register it they said I needed a picture of the 1963 license plate. Didn't have one and it was past 3PM. Couldn't get home and back in time so I'll go back today with a picture and check in hand.

PostPosted: April 14, 2013, 1:38 am 

Another wasted day at the DOL. Lucked out with the inspector being somewhat familiar with the type of car but the DOL was totally in the dark. Took a picture of the plate like they asked but after an hour wait they want sales tax information. They asked what I thought it was worth. Don't answer that question with what you would insure it for but what you can best estimate what you have in it. And if you can produce invoices/receipts where you paid sales tax on those items, that amount can be deducted from the total tax they are wanting to assess. So I spent Friday morning sorting receipts. Then I couldn't find my WSP inspection papers. Finally found them with my insurance papers. Was getting ready to call and tell them to cover it as I was going for a drive. That's OK. Weather was too crappy anyway.

I go back Monday with another big stack of receipts. They said they would add them up and photo copy them for Olympia.

PostPosted: April 14, 2013, 3:13 am 

Let me guess: All receipts submitted for tax verification will have already paid WA sales tax, the sum of which will happen to be the total value claimed for the car? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 14, 2013, 3:41 pm 

Justin,

That would be ideal, however I only have about $900 worth of receipts showing tax paid. I don't think they will accept that as total value.

Most of the major pieces were either from individuals or mail ordered. No tax paid.

PostPosted: April 16, 2013, 2:46 am 

Done. Now legal. As soon as my insurance agent returns my call I'm going for a drive (if it isn't raining).