LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WI license expierence?
PostPosted: February 7, 2013, 2:42 pm 

I was thinking ahead to when my car is done and was wondering if there are any builders in WI that have completed and registered their cars. I am interested in any suggestions that would make the registration proses easier or any problems that you ran into.
Thanks for any info
Paul

PostPosted: February 9, 2013, 2:41 pm 

Wow 28 view and no comments! Must be something I said! :roll:

PostPosted: February 9, 2013, 4:47 pm 

I was gonna make some Wisconsin jokes -- ie, needing a beer holder if you drive near Green Bay, or state law requiring aero improvements to protect endangered mosquitoes, but that would've not helped you one bit.

BTW, I spent 7 months in Madison, including a winter where they got 125" of snow, followed by 6 weeks or so in the Green Bay area.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 9, 2013, 7:21 pm 

geek49203

WI jokes are always welcome! I was just figuring that I'm not the only person in WI crazy enough to build one of these things. I try to learn form other people (mistakes or otherwise) and am hoping to get as much advice and smooth out as many wrinkles as possible before I'm at that point.

Paul

P.S. kill all the mosquitoes that you can!!!! :D

PostPosted: February 9, 2013, 8:41 pm 

I was in Green Bay, and figured I'd go for a walk on the lake shore. You know, since most cities on the Great Lakes have accessible lake shores? Well, Green Bay doesn't have accessible lake shore. So I went to a local state park, and started hiking. It went well for the first 15 minutes, but after that, the deer flies started to find me. And even that wasn't too bad, until I killed one and ten thousand showed up for the funeral. For the last 2 miles or so of the hike I was on a dead run....

BTW, Road America is flat out beautiful. It's not the only beautiful course in the world, but there are none that I've been to that are more beautiful. When I get my car on the road I hope to take at least one lap on the thing.

The Milwaukee track is also something special. I hope it doesn't die, but it sure has been trying to die. Last time I was there I had about 20 bratwurst for the weekend. However, I didn't have time to get some gourmet mac and cheese, nor head over the Madison to the Great Dane for their Bratwurst Bacon Pretzel burger.

None of this helps you get your license, but hey, at least you know I kinda miss Wisconsin. BTW, some of those rioting in Madison were, in fact, my former coworkers.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 10, 2013, 2:18 pm 

Wisconsinites all love Wisconsin jokes and ethnic jokes as we are all ethnic. No snooties here.

So to your question. First I have to ask where do you live? Urban types might find my advice a little more difficult to accomplish as they have smog testing to deal with. What I would do is select a donor that doesn't require smog testing, like a '67 AH Sprite or similar. Then find one with an unsalvageable rusted out body, Easy. Make sure it has a good clear title. Start or better continue paying for plates. Build car. Attach plates. Drive :mrgreen:

You now own a '67 AH Sprite with custom bodywork. You might evan drop in a different engine, gearbox or whatever. Make sure your pipes are quiet. This may be the land of Harleys but you want quiet. And when the officer asks, it is a special bodied AH Sprite and be friendly. Actually, where I live, the cops already know what I am building.

PostPosted: February 10, 2013, 3:21 pm 

vroom

I live in Warrens witch is about 1hr east of LaCross. We have no smog testing of any sort so that isn't a problem. I am building from a 1991 s10 witch is rusted out but has a clear title. Would it be possible to do the same and just have an s10 with custom body work? I had herd that you could do that in WI but it sounds to good to be true.

Paul

PostPosted: February 11, 2013, 1:14 pm 

Take a look at this:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/a ... /305/II/18
and this:
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/ad ... ns/305.pdf
I have read thru this stuff and you need a car with all the normal stuff like lights and windshield etc. etc and you could go for hobby plates but I haven't figured out when it gets inspected if ever. Just make sure it is safe and quiet.