LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Registering Donor Car
PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 9:33 am 

I'm picking up my miata donor car on Saturday, and was wondering if it worth it or necessary to register the car if I'm going to just be dissembling it.

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 9:43 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Like always, it "depends."

If you're passing off your Locost as a rebodied Miata... I'd register it now. That way, the DMV, cops, and brake/light inspectors never see the car, it's just a "Miata." When it comes time for insurance you'll pass it off as a rebodied Miata. That's what I did with my basketcase (literally) 1961 Mini that sort of turned into a carbon-shell mid-engine project...

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 10:33 am 

Yep, "It depends" on your state registation laws and in some instances, which path you take in registration. you must decide. In some cases, (very few) you may want to register the car because paying the taxes might be lower than if you have to have the finished locost appraised later.

Oh, you are going to have to do your homework ahead of time to ensure that you will be able to license it at all. You wouldn't be the first builder to finish their car and then find out it can not be registered in their state because of...... I think Georgia is pretty lenient on that though. But you may need to retain emissions equipment.

Check first, then build.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 1:44 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Check first, then build.

May be a bit late for that. The chassis is more or less done. :)

Guess I need to make some phone calls to determine what the safe route is.

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 3:01 pm 

KB58 wrote:
If you're passing off your Locost as a rebodied Miata... I'd register it now.
I've been tempted to try that myself, but if you do it that way, be sure to cut out the VIN-stamped part of the firewall and use it for the firewall at your passenger's feet. And practice telling the judge that your Miata is "heavily modified" without bursting into giggles.

You'll want the VIN tag from the passenger's dash too. Remove the windshield first* or you'll booger up the tag, which will make your car look stolen to the casual onlooker.

*A suitable tool was invented by a Mr. Paul Bean in the late 19th Century. His name has entered the language in a somewhat spoonerized version, but the proper term is Paul Bean Hammer. A lot of people don't know that.

Last edited by JackMcCornack on June 6, 2013, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The original wasn't funny enough.

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 3:37 pm 

DaveStruve wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
Check first, then build.
May be a bit late for that. The chassis is more or less done. :)

As long as you have bill of sale for the steel etc your OK.

Guess I need to make some phone calls to determine what the safe route is.
Look up your GA's statutes for titling a car. Hopefully Ga. is using the SEMA model for "Custom cars, Hot rods" etc.

If you call the DMV you are going to get the local DMV version of what the rules are. If you study the statutes first and then present your arguments it's hard for them to say the statutes are wrong.

In Fla the favorite classification now for Locost's is ASPT (Assembled from parts). But you need proof of where all the major parts came from.

Although in Fla they are interpreting the word "manufactured" (which was added to the rules a few years ago) to mean a licensed company making Locost's as a business. It seems that an individual can't build a Custom Car or maybe a Hot Rod either if the local office still interprets the rules that way. Hence they assign a ASPT title to a Locost. Your statutes may vary. :wink:

Also in Fla if you go strictly by the rules you would have to sell or donate your donor to a junk yard so they could [in affect] have title changed to "salvage" so they could sell the parts BACK to you to make your Locost. This would be an argument to put the donor car's title in your name (not junked) and then "rebody" the car.

Jack: I'm giggling just reading your post and my car is already titled. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 7:12 pm 

Yeah it appears GA uses the SEMA regs, but the details on a hand built/ non-kit car are pretty slim. I dont think there will be much of any issue with regards to registering it. But since I live in a county that requires emissions, I'm trying to sort out how that will work. Mainly how to deal with the Cat. Convertor. Technically it would require one since the miata would be the donor... but there is no way I'm doing that unless I can find a muffler that has one built in, or build a second pipe that has one for testing purposes. But then again they have never checked my Subaru STI for a cat, and it has always passed with flying colors.

Anyways I've contacted the DMV and am awaiting a response.

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 7:39 pm 

DaveStruve wrote:
Yeah it appears GA uses the SEMA regs, but the details on a hand built/ non-kit car are pretty slim. I dont think there will be much of any issue with regards to registering it. But since I live in a county that requires emissions, I'm trying to sort out how that will work. Mainly how to deal with the Cat. Convertor. Technically it would require one since the miata would be the donor... but there is no way I'm doing that unless I can find a muffler that has one built in, or build a second pipe that has one for testing purposes. But then again they have never checked my Subaru STI for a cat, and it has always passed with flying colors.

Did they plug an OBDII reader into the Subaru OBDII connector or just look on the dash for a "check engine" light? From what I've been reading on the web it seems that a lot of states just plug into the OBDII connector and check for error codes

Anyways I've contacted the DMV and am awaiting a response.
If the Miata has two O2 sensors you may have to leave the cat on it so you don't get an error code. The 2nd sensor is used to check that the cat converter is working properly.

If it only has one sensor you could mount the cat converter with a flange on both ends of it so you can use the car off road with a flanged bypass pipe.

PostPosted: June 6, 2013, 10:21 pm 

Going back a couple of posts ... be careful about transferring VIN tags. In Canada that's against the criminal code, and in another string someone pointed out that it was illegal in many US states as well. As someone said, check with your DMV.

Don't sweat too much about a cat converter - there are lots of aftermarket ones that don't look bad.

It is also unlikely that there will be anything wrong with a frame per se, so getting a head start on your welding is not a big issue.

PostPosted: June 7, 2013, 7:54 am 

Quote:
Yeah it appears GA uses the SEMA regs, but the details on a hand built/ non-kit car are pretty slim.
Are you sure about that? I see the reference to kit cars but do not see anything about homebuilts, other than trailers. The SEMA site does not show Georgia as one of their states. Typically the SEMA law eliminates emissions and some safety equipment. I do not see that anywhere in Georgia law.

In counties where emissions are done, Gerogia shows OBDII testing for post 1996 vehicles and exhaust pipe measurements for pre-1996

Things seem to change fairly rapidly with this type of registration. I hope that you find things go in a positive direction when you get your response.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 7, 2013, 9:55 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Ah... emissions testing. Yes, well, if your county plays hardball, that's a problem since you'd then have to transfer over ALL emission controls into the Locost. I'd try hard to see if it can be considered a "replica Lotus"/kit car, something that gets a smog exemption.

Many a dream has been dashed by emission testing. While the laws are worthwhile, so few people build kit cars and replicas that it means they aren't any measureable threat to clean air.

PostPosted: June 7, 2013, 1:39 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Ah... emissions testing. Yes, well, if your county plays hardball, that's a problem since you'd then have to transfer over ALL emission controls into the Locost. I'd try hard to see if it can be considered a "replica Lotus"/kit car, something that gets a smog exemption.
Also in FL if the car is a replica, it is licensed as if it IS a car from the year the actual car was made. My BEC is tagged as an antique!

And even more important, a replica only has to meet the safety rules and emissions that were in affect at the time the real car was built. ASPT does not give you these perks here. That's why it's important to study the DMV rules.

PostPosted: July 3, 2013, 9:20 pm 

Here's some info I got from the Exocet guys. This is of interest since these guys are local to me and what they are doing isnt all that much different that the locost.

Georgia has a couple ways you can go about it. We issue a Certificate of Origin with each kit and that basically functions as a "pre-title" - similar to what you get if you bought a new trailer. This document can be submitted to the state along with all your receipts and a few other forms for registration. The SEMA Action Network has done a great job of getting all the pertinent laws and forms together in a single PDF document for each state and you can download Georgia's here: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=t ... x&g=SEMAGA

Georgia also has a Dune Buggy method, where you cut out the VIN plate from the donor Miata and submit it to the state along with all the other paperwork - that is actually how I registered the all black Exocet you saw at C&O since it was registered before we began issuing COOs.

Some are running their Exocets as the original Miata, but if you choose that route, make sure you are aware of all the laws/insurance. Some have their cars insured as "heavily modified Miatas" through companies like Classic Collectors by Infinity. The way I see it is that this may be skirting around the law a bit since you are technically replacing the frame of the vehicle. While some may argue that the Mazda PPF is part of the "frame" and since it is retained it is still a Miata, but I could see the authorities not liking that explanation.

Since you are titling it as a new vehicle, there are no emissions requirements for the first three years. After that, you can apply for an exemption through the Clean Air Force assuming you've retained all the emissions equipment on the Exocet. We are in the process of trying to push SEMA's custom vehicle legislation through - we've got about 23 states done so far and I hope to have GA on board soon. That would eliminate any emissions checks for custom vehicles/kits moving forward.