LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 26, 2013, 10:22 am 

My car is practically ready for it's inspection & title. Just a couple of small items that can be done while i wait the 3 weeks that VA DMV states the process takes. My question is about the paperwork. I have a binder put together for the build with resources, pictures, reciepts etc. I'm wondering if i send this in with my application if i will get it back, or is it better to just make the drive personally to Richmond so that i can keep hold of it?

I'm hoping to get it titled as a '58 Lotus 7 Replica. I'm running Brooklands screens & acquired the IMP brochure for the car to show that they were an option back then. Fingers crossed everything goes well & i have some Tags for Christmas :drive:

Cost so far : - $1371.12

“I hate being Bi-polar - It's Awesome!”

PostPosted: November 26, 2013, 8:39 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

A real locost! I blinked and it was done, fast and cheap!

I suggest you make copies of everything and submit copies, not originals when not required.

If you receive a request for more data, besure to reference the first application because they may create a new file and then later request the data from the first application to go in the second file. Happened to me in Georgia.

PostPosted: November 26, 2013, 10:33 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
A real locost! I blinked and it was done

Yes, I've been bad about updating the build log.

I finally managed to get through to Richmond on the phone this afternoon - they told me that anything i submit to them will no be returned so not to send originals. I was told there was no need to go to Richmond, and that any customer center will be able to process it & take copies of my paperwork where required. Looks like I'll be in there tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: December 8, 2013, 11:14 am 

LSSeven,

Please share your experience. How important to the DMV is the "detailed build log"?
Which location did you work with? etc...
I'm building a 1958 7 replica just down the street in Fauquier county, and I've been concerned about the build log and also how they feel about home made frames.

"Thinking positive thoughts and keeping the fingers crossed", Ron

PostPosted: January 2, 2014, 2:04 pm 

STranger 7 wrote:
LSSeven,

Please share your experience. How important to the DMV is the "detailed build log"?
Which location did you work with? etc...
I'm building a 1958 7 replica just down the street in Fauquier county, and I've been concerned about the build log and also how they feel about home made frames.

"Thinking positive thoughts and keeping the fingers crossed", Ron

Ron - It was a breeze! Download 2 forms from the DMV website, include all of your receipts for items purchase, title for the donor car & a description of what parts from it you used, and then just a handful of pictures showing the build up. In total i think i submitted 20 photo's starting with the initial base layer of the frame and ending with 4 pictures of each side completed. They also require a written statement of how it was built that has to be notarized. I wrote it in layman's terms in 2 paragraph's & took it to the bank to be notarized. That's it. Took them 3 weeks to get out her, but this morning an officer turned up, mounted the VIN plate & handed me the title. The inspection was very quick, i think they just have to verify that it matches the pictures you submit with the application.

In total, it cost $125 for the inspection & VIN, and then another $85 for sales tax & title. Today is a good day :cheers:

PostPosted: January 14, 2014, 12:52 pm 

LSSeven,
Congratulations!!!! That certainly sounds painless enough. In the end, did you work with a local DMV office?

SO,, when do we get to see photos of your 7 sporting those shiney new Va. plates :)

Great job and thanks for the encouraging feedback.

Ron