LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 8, 2014, 4:01 pm 

I am parting out my donor and lots of people are asking if i will sell the frame, title and dash. I assume they are wanting to put together their own car cause of a bad/salvage/lost title. In looking at the Missouri regs, the way I read it I dont need the title for a Specially Constructed Motor Vehicle, which is what Missouri classifies a Locost, but I do need to pass a VIN examination.

9. Each application for an original Missouri certificate of ownership for a vehicle which is classified as a reconstructed motor vehicle, specially constructed motor vehicle, kit vehicle, motor change vehicle, non-USA-std motor vehicle, or other vehicle as required by the director of revenue shall be accompanied by a vehicle examination certificate issued by the Missouri state highway patrol, or other law enforcement agency as authorized by the director of revenue. The vehicle examination shall include a verification of vehicle identification numbers and a determination of the classification of the vehicle.

I assume this is just to check the vins of the engine and tranny as those are the only two components that will have a vin. I think a copy of the title with my name on it and a bill of sale that specifies that the car was sold without drivetrain would meet the requirement.

What all have you all done with your titles of donor cars or your donors that didnt come with titles? I may just need to head to the courthouse and try to get a determination, but I dont see that going well.

Any other MO builders that have experience?

PostPosted: May 8, 2014, 5:57 pm 

2-3 years back, a Missouri builder had problems with registering his car. He needed a copy of the title, or something like that, to prove the engine was legal. He ended up having to sell his build. Jack McCornack looked into buying it at the time but could not get it registered in Oregon without the VIN or Title or copy or something....... Do a search on author MartyNygard in the for sale section.

Keep everything as long as you can is the best practice. Parts, paperwork, everything!(if you can).

In Ilinois, 3 to 4 years ago, I got away with a copy of the title and a bill of sale from the guy who sold me parts. The title was not in his name and the VIN number was not on the engine. The stamped engine markings were difficult to read at best, One or two digits could have been a 3, a 6, or a 9. Mazda North America could not verify the engine number since the vehicle had a salvage title. I think I got lucky. I'm not complaining.

Every state's process is different. Best to only use Missouri builders as a reference, and recent ones at that. PRocedures change, even within any given state.

BTW exactly what part of a Miata is "the frame"? :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 9, 2014, 8:56 pm 

Sounds similar to CA. The CHP needed the pink from the donor, but not the registration. The car hadn't been registered in 10 years. I would hold onto the title until after you've got your VIN, then you can do whatever you want with it. You're not transferring title from the donor, you're only using the title to prove you obtained the donor legally.

I didn't have to show any numbers. The engine number was not on the pink slip, and the VIN on the pink slip was for a shell that was long gone. The pink slip and bill of sale were enough to satisfy the officer that I didn't steal anything. That is their main concern, that you're not trying to re-VIN a stolen car.