LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North Dakota Laws
PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 11:11 pm 

In the process of designing my own car when I decided to look at the state guidelines for custom vehicles. I found a few rules that I don't want to follow; does anyone else have guidelines similar to the examples below?

"Instrumentation and controls. Every special vehicle shall be equipped with a circular steering wheel with an outside diameter of not less than thirteen inches [33.02 centimeters]."

"c. The steering wheel shall have not less than two turns nor more than six turns when turning the road wheels from lock to lock."

"f. Special vehicles shall be equipped with a damping device at each wheel location providing a minimum relative motion between the unsprung axle and wheel and the chassis body of plus and minus two inches [5.08 centimeters]. When each corner of the vehicle is depressed and released, the damping device shall stop vertical body motion within two inches [5.08 centimeters]."

Sources:

https://www.dot.nd.gov/forms/sfn02486.pdf

http://www.legis.nd.gov/information/acdata/pdf/37-12-02.pdf?20150407215728

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c21.pdf?20150407220231

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c29-2.pdf?20150407220240

Post subject: Re: North Dakota Laws
PostPosted: April 8, 2015, 11:16 pm 

I don't know how strict the inspection is but how are they going to tell the suspension travel, to be honest i doubt they would even touch the car as they would be liable if they broke something. I recommend a cheap large steering wheel for inspection and then put on a small one as long as you don't use a reducer (before the inspection) you should be fine.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 12:36 am 

wrightcomputing wrote:
I don't know how strict the inspection is but how are they going to tell the suspension travel, to be honest i doubt they would even touch the car as they would be liable if they broke something. I recommend a cheap large steering wheel for inspection and then put on a small one as long as you don't use a reducer (before the inspection) you should be fine.

I'm just worried what happens when I actually build it and they say they need to have it tested before it gets approved? I plan on using motorbike suspension so maybe it would have to be custom bell cranks and pullrods to give it the travel it needs and then switch it back out. :BH:

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 8:09 am 

4 inches minimum of suspension travel really isn't a lot. Tetanus with Harley coil overs had more than 4, so did the R1 with QA1 coilovers. My front suspension on both cars had about 8 inches of travel.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 8:21 am 

TooBusy wrote:
4 inches minimum of suspension travel really isn't a lot. Tetanus with Harley coil overs had more than 4, so did the R1 with QA1 coilovers. My front suspension on both cars had about 8 inches of travel.

4in of suspension travel is 4in of suspension travel. I'm not planning to build an off-road car. With my current suspension design I had 2.5" total travel which I agree isn't a lot for a public road but hopefully this car will be more of a track car that I can have the bragging rights of saying it's street legal.

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 8:34 am 

Hope your roads are better than what I have in SC. 2 1/2" travel would result in bent parts and a lot of time against the bump stops here.

:cheers:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 9:11 am 

How about you pull the bump stops from the coil overs for inspection purposes. Then, after approval, put them back?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 9:34 am 
Locostering Legend

Investigate the actual inspection/approval process. Does a state official do the inspection or a licensed independent mechanic?

Talk to an inspector and ask what they look for relative to the detailed code requirements. You need to understand the process to know how to cheat it.

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 9:55 am 

JonW wrote:
Talk to an inspector and ask what they look for relative to the detailed code requirements.

I agree with JonW, here in Pennsylvania what the inspector thinks is more important than the letter of the law. If you have a choice where you can take your car to get inspected it is worthwhile to talk to the inspectors and to ask other car guys for advice. Some inspectors can be tough, some can be clueless and some can be reasonable. I went over one county to get mine inspected because the guy was experienced with Street Rods. He was comfortable with how to interpret the rules. The guys I talked to here had never seen anything like a Locost and while they were willing to try I think they'd be conservative about it.

PostPosted: April 9, 2015, 9:19 pm 

Build as you want...
Go through registration...
If you don´t pass..
Modify and re test...
Or Build according to law and modify later...
Same procedure different sequence...
Different result.
With the first one you take your chances twice..
With the other only once...
I started this post tongue in cheek, but turned serious...
Or at least less ironic.
Hope this serves as food for thought.

PostPosted: April 14, 2015, 11:36 pm 

Same rules as the province in the Country above you....( and your roads are in much better condition... )

if you're looking for opinions....

"Build according to law and modify later".... +1.

PostPosted: April 15, 2015, 1:51 am 

I really feel for you folks that have to jump through all kind of hoops to get your car's titled.

I took a stack of receipts with the car on a trailer to an inspection lane and 20 minutes later I had a VIN and registration as a 1963 Lotus 7 Super Custom. Getting the registration was a little tougher. Different agency. Had to show more receipts and a picture of my 1963 license plate that would go with the car until they change their minds about vintage plates. And give them some money. The little cutie at the inspection lane didn't want cash. Just a MasterCard or a Nordstrom card was all she asked for. I'm 74 years old so to me the inspector was a young hottie . She was about 55. Be that as it may she was super friendly.

Not any where close to the horror stories I had heard about WA state.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 15, 2015, 12:24 pm 

Are you sure she was that age Larry? Old age can do terrible things to the brain :D . I am talking from experience. Hope all is well.