LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 11:45 pm 

Thanks, guys.
Well the day started off well, but then deteriorated in a hurry. I took some vacation time, to get all the paper work and get the car weighed. Unfortunately, none of the papers were ready, so by lunch time I was getting worried, since I had made an appointment at the scale for 3:30. Furthermore, I have one sick kid staying at home, plus two more 7 year olds showing up at 3:00 and Mama is in meetings all day. Anyway, by 1:00 the inspector tells me, hey, we still need an alignment. Really???? When can you do that? Tomorrow, maybe... but what about the scale???? .....So I just wandered down to the insurance office, batted my blues :oops: and said, well you need that weigh slip for your paper work, so how about a permit to go to the scale? No problem. So off I went to the scale.
https://youtu.be/4Npf3GsIPQc
I'll get another one for tomorrow's alignment. Money well spent. I had a blast!!!! And I wore out that permit :twisted:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: October 22, 2015, 1:18 pm 

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. It is done. I passed the inspections and the car is registered and insured.
So for future reference and other BC builders, I will recap my experience.
The application form to get the process started is MV1325 (Application for BC Assigned VIN). This has to be submitted with pictures of the finished car, all sides plus hood and trunk open, and a cheque for $ 25. On this form, one also has to name the Designated Inspection Facility. Then I had to file a statutory declaration, MV1484, with details of the major components, when and where bought, and the cost. I submitted information for frame, body, engine, transmission, rear axle, seats, tires and wheels, and suspension, steering and brakes. They also wanted copies of the invoices, but it was in excess of 50 receipts, so they accepted the major ones for each category. It was still 15 or so receipts.
Once the VIN is issued, it is sent to the Inspection Facility, and the inspection can be done. The mechanical inspection form was printed out by the inspector. ICBC also required a structural integrity inspection, which has to be done by a Autobody Tech Trade Technician. The form he used was CVSE0032; part of it is a 4 wheel alignment, that was required. Even so the form is used for re-builts, the inspector confirmed with the CVSE that it was also required for a new ubuilt. Once the inspection is done, the VIN can be installed. It is a stick-on, metallic foil, but it also has two safety rivets. I brought regular rivets along, but there was no need. I had it installed on the rear bulkhead upper tube; easily visible from all sides.
After that, a weight slip from a trade approved scale has to be obtained to confirm the weight. I got a permit to drive the car there, although none of the paper work had yet been entered in the computer; however, the VIN had been installed at that point. Once all the papers are signed off, it is easy to finish off at an ICBC office.
As I mentioned before, the little presentation that raceral had suggested, worked really well. I sent a copy with my application, and gave copies to both inspectors. I included various pictures from my build log and it gave them an idea of what I was talking about. I'll try to zip a copy and attach it to this thread, in case someone wants to use something similar.
It was a bit frustrating, but in the end, it got done. My total cost was $ 450 plus enough Scotch to soothe my nerves during the ordeal. :cheers:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 26, 2015, 3:42 am 

Excellent news and great information. Thanks for sharing and being so detailed. I look forward to seeing the copy of your little presentation.

PostPosted: October 26, 2015, 8:47 am 

Here is the file. Feel free to use it as needed. I had to break it into two parts. When I'm zipping it, it only saves 1%. :BH:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 3:25 pm 

Wow, that's quite comprehensive! I'm concerned as, over the 10 years or so I've been working on my Locost (with a few years & a move in the interim), I've misplaced a few of the more important receipts for my build...several thousand's worth, actually (the rear axle, the steel for the frame, and the front suspension components, for example!). I hope I can recreate enough to get them to accept my build!!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 8:41 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
Wow, that's quite comprehensive! I'm concerned as, over the 10 years or so I've been working on my Locost (with a few years & a move in the interim), I've misplaced a few of the more important receipts for my build...several thousand's worth, actually (the rear axle, the steel for the frame, and the front suspension components, for example!). I hope I can recreate enough to get them to accept my build!!

I wouldn't be too worried. I was in the same boat as you, except most of my major parts were bought from junkyards that gave better prices but no receipts if you paid cash. My frame came from CMC back in the day, but I never did get a receipt or MSO with it, and my engine came from a wrecked car that was given to me, but had no paperwork, and I didn't think about recording the VIN. Basically all I had receipts for was my wheels and a few small other parts. ICBC called me after I sent in the basic required pictures (before I had even painted the car) and the few receipts that I did have and asked me to fill out the statutory declaration and have it notarized, then they finalized my application and sent the VIN. All the statutory declaration is is a document saying that to the best of my knowledge, none of the parts on my car are stolen. My biggest hurdle was pestering the guy that had agreed to do my inspection to actually fill out and submit the paperwork. Cornering him took almost 3 months. I was a bit worried about the VIN application too, but that turned out to be the easiest part of the whole build.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 10:07 pm 

zetec7 wrote:

I've kept all my receipts. The nice thing is the wrecker puts the VIN of the original cars that the engine and trans came from. The VIN guys like that. When I submitted my application I gave them the big ones (18 or so) and threatened them to fax the other 200 if they wanted..... they seemed pretty happy with the few I sent. I'd just send them the big ones you have and let them know there's a whole bunch more if they want.

For most, the biggest hurdle will be finding an inspection shop that is willing to do these cars. Most guys just want to do straight-forward CVIs, and not spend extra time on these.

Cheers.

PS: I guess it's time to add up my receipts now that my car is legal......

PostPosted: May 18, 2021, 5:39 pm 

Sorry to revive an older thread, it has been a great read and full of excellent info. I am currently Building a GBS Zero and reside in Vernon BC, was curious as to others experience with installing Front and rear Bumpers. I have been told that it is mandatory by Barry Bertoli our Senior area vehicle Inspector. But I have heard of some Super 7's with bumpers during Inspection and some without and they passed. I had one inspector who did not really want to do the job say I need air bags too, as he were calling it a Ubuilt. :shock: I ask Barry on that and he said that is not true, it is a repli-kit not a U-built! but is under the U-built category. I am still ways a way from Inspection but thought I'd check with those that have been through the inspection process in British Columbia on the Bumper issue.

Thank you

PostPosted: May 21, 2021, 11:00 am 

Others have run into this issue in BC, as well. There is no need for bumpers, as MANY Locosts have been built, registered, inspected, and passed in BC without any requirement for them. There have been other inspectors in BC that also tried to demand airbags, ABS, and even one who demanded that the builder supply an entire car for destructive testing before any approval would be given on the final car. These "inspectors" are merely mechanics (NOT ICBC staff) at ICBC-approved testing shops who have a hate on for home-built cars and want to prevent anyone from building one. The guy is no more "senior" than any other such mechanic at any of the other approved shops. Even the mechanics at some Canadian Tire stores have apparently been able to do Locost inspections.

I've found a local shop (on Vancouver Island), which is fully ICBC-approved to do my inspection & pass the vehicle for road use. They do NOT require bumpers, a separate structural analysis, or any of that other garbage. They have done this several times in the past with 100% success, and ICBC has zero issues with it.

I am certain there are LOTS of other inspectors in your area who are easier to work with. There is no such thing as a "senior inspector" - ALL mechanics at ICBC-approved testing facilities are equally qualified by ICBC.

Bear in mind that you don't need ANYBODY from ICBC itself to look at or examine your car - in BC they simply accept the word of ICBC-approved testing facilities. You simply find such a shop (preferably one with a reputation for working with hotrod guys) who wants to test your car for you, apply for a BC VIN number when the car's complete, take it to your shop, and they'll do the rest. When they're done, they'll apply your VIN decal, hand you the approval papers, you take it to your local ICBC outlet, and get your plates & insurance.

Find yourself such a shop, avoid the one (with the inspector you mentioned) like the plague, and you'll be free of these headaches.

PostPosted: May 22, 2021, 12:03 am 

This is a challenging valley for Inspections. The guys in charge seem to run it very strict.

If you can find a shop that is willing, and is open to creative interpretation, that's 90% of your battle. ICBC itself doesn't even seem to have a clue about this, when asked specific directed questions so I can build to fit their requirements "Just send in all your paperwork and we'll figure it out" they said. Well no, I need to build it to what you want to see. They don't know what they want to see.

I've seen BC cars get through requiring bumpers and requiring no bumpers, requiring windscreens and requiring no windscreens, requiring mud flaps and not requiring mudflaps, daytime running lights and not, even requiring "exit/sortie" signs so you can find your way out... of a two-seat open-top car.....

Best I can say is "good luck." Ask around at the hot rod shops, Dunbar if it's still around, or whomever you can talk to with hot rods. Your local LordCo or Napa might be able to tell you who the hot rod shops are that might need to inspect or get inspections done.

PostPosted: May 22, 2021, 12:04 am 

A friend of mine runs a shop that does inspections. He knows me, and knows the quality of work I do, and while I've shown my vehicles to him, he is very clear "just don't bring it here for an inspection." Few shops here want to place themselves under the microscope for something unusual.

PostPosted: May 22, 2021, 7:26 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The shops license is at the mercy of the power-hungry idiot layman above. Much easier to push the agenda than stand and suffer. A business decision.

Sounds like nobody is trying to help anybody be successful, so the best you can do is be armed with the rules and choose your battles wisely.

If you find a shop trying to do the right thing, don't point them out to the idiots. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 24, 2021, 1:29 pm 

SkinnyG wrote:
A friend of mine runs a shop that does inspections. He knows me, and knows the quality of work I do, and while I've shown my vehicles to him, he is very clear "just don't bring it here for an inspection." Few shops here want to place themselves under the microscope for something unusual.

I fully understand this, I too have a good friend that works at a Inspection facility and he also said don't bring it his shop, the inspector there will fail it. I have reached out to Cam Jammers Hot Rod Club, I have gotten a couple suggestions on Inspectors that are hot rod friendly and are considered fair with there inspections. So will be reaching out to them, and see what they say and expect from this build. Like others have said do as the inspector requests while building it and you will be fine.

"Quote from Zetec7" The guy is no more "senior" than any other such mechanic at any of the other approved shops. Even the mechanics at some Canadian Tire stores have apparently been able to do Locost inspections."

As to the Senior inspector mention it says on the BC Government website that Barry Bertoli is the Senior Area Vehicle inspector. I was told that the other Inspectors in Vernon and surrounding area turn to him if and when they come across a grey/questionable area in there Inspection, and he can make the final call on it. Just what I was told and why I was calling him the Senior Inspector.
https://dir.gov.bc.ca/gtds.cgi?esearch= ... ctId=80199

PostPosted: May 24, 2021, 1:50 pm 

Okay, I get that. It's clearly different here on the island - the inspector in the testing facility (mechanic's shop) makes the final decision, and it seems not to be questioned by ICBC - they just rubber-stamp the paperwork and away you go.

As SkinnyG said, the valley has been known for some time to be "challenging". I went to a few shops here, and some of them were adamant that they would not even LOOK at a Ubilt car, period. The shop I plan on using asked to see a few pics of my build's progress, and they were very, very happy with it. They've done several original Sevens and clones, and they advise they really enjoy doing them (they even have several framed pictures on the wall of some of the cars they've inspected & passed).

It's all about finding the right shop. It's unfortunate you have an area ICBC honcho who's such a hard-nose & seems to micro-manage the area inspectors. I do recall others from the valley reporting the problems they had, and obviously the guy in question is the one causing the problems.

I hope you're able to get around him!

PostPosted: June 17, 2021, 10:42 pm 

I got mine passed through a friendly coworker with connections, he was half owner of a shop that flat out refused to touch anything homebuilt when I called, but he did the inspection himself. There is a lot of stuff that doesn't really apply to a locost or similar car, and because I had done my homework, he was asking me whether stuff was legal or not. When I was close to ready for an inspection, I loaded my car up on a flat deck and shopped around for an inspection shop, and a couple were willing to at least take a look. I only went with the coworker because he offered. I don't know if they're willing to inspect homebuilt cars, but Riverside Auto in Kamloops has a steady stream of interesting European sporty cars they're working on, so possibly worth a try if you can't find anyone closer to home.
Kristian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next