LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Untitled donor - Ohio
PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 5:58 pm 

Hello everyone, I was curious if this would be an issue? Anybody ever hear of any issues with buying an untitled car for a donor. I have seen a couple donors for a project but they were untitled and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get it registered when the time came to get it on the road. I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,

Vince

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 6:11 pm 

Is Ohio a state where you have to demonstrate the bits weren't stolen? Will absence of title affect that?

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 7:55 pm 

Every state handles it differently. Generally you have to show proof of legal ownership of the parts (car) for you to register your Locost. This is usually done via Bill of sale for the parts with the VIN identified on the Bill of sale. In the case of the whole car, you usually need to show proof of ownership of the car, usually done by a title. If you do not get a title upon purchasing, you can sometimes get a bonded title. However it aooraers that Ohio does no have this option.

from http://www.ehow.com/how_7492149_obtain- ... -ohio.html:

Quote:
The State of Ohio discourages any vehicle purchase that is not executed with a certificate of title. Additionally, the state does not allow bonded or surety titles, which are used to record provisional proof of ownership in most states around the country. If you have purchased a vehicle without a title and the seller is unavailable or unwilling to apply for a duplicate certificate of title, the Ohio BMV suggests that you contact a county title office, which reviews vehicle purchases without titles on a case-by-case basis.

I would never buy a car without a title, even for parts. In my state it is illegal to sell a car without title. a title is needed even to scrap the vehicle. YMMV

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 8:46 pm 

Agreed. I am mildly paranoid when it comes to the government and Titling. If you do it all legit, you pay more, but you have zero issues or regrets.