LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 12:22 pm 

Save all of your receipts! ALL OF THEM. Have receipts for materials, parts, etc. Anything you build yourself, take photos of along the way as evidence that you made them and did not buy them. There is no such thing as too much paperwork when dealing with the government. Remember, the inspection and licensing process in MO is designed for two purposes: ensuring the parts are not from a stolen vehicle, and ensuring that sales tax is paid. If you have a donor vehicle, ensure that it is TITLED IN YOUR NAME.

If you have all of the above organized in a binder to take with you to the inspection station, things will go very smoothly. Have totals for all the parts you paid sales tax on (bought locally, donor vehicle) and those that you didn’t (ordered online).

Step 1: Go to your local license office and purchase a DOR-551 Form. It will cost $27.50

Step 2: Call your nearest MSHP motor vehicle inspection station and schedule a “Special Construction Vehicle” inspection.

Step 3: Take your vehicle and your stack of paperwork to the inspection station and explain what you are doing. In Missouri, you have two options, you can register it as a “Replica” which would be eligible for historic plates, or a “Special Construction Vehicle” which will have current year of manufacture.

Step 4: Take the DOR 551 that was filled out by the MSHP inspector to the DOR central office in Jefferson City. Only the central office can issue DOR vin numbers (you may be able to do this by mail). You will have to fill out an application for Missouri Title and License, pay the titling fee, pay a DOR VIN fee, and sales tax on any parts you haven’t already paid sales tax on. If you are doing a replica, they will want completed photos of the vehicle.

Note: The DOR will issue a VIN to you with a form, but the actual tab will be mailed back to the inspection station that did the inspection.

Step 5: The MSHP inspection station will call you when they have your VIN tab (roughly a week later). You can either bring the vehicle in to have it installed, or schedule to have one of their staff install it at your place (could take another couple weeks). After they rivet the VIN tab on, they will fill out the VIN form from the DOR which you can then submit to the DOR and you will get your title.

Step 6: Apply for Historic Registration (if going that route). Otherwise you will apply for your license plates when you are at the DOR in step 4 and receive them in the mail with your title.

Build Log

PostPosted: August 11, 2016, 12:38 pm 

From the first time you went to the inspection station, how long did this process take?

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: August 11, 2016, 4:22 pm 

July 18th: MSHP Inspection and DOR immediately afterward, both in Jefferson City
August 2nd: MSHP called saying VIN tag was available to be installed
August 5th: Inspector installed VIN tag at my shop

I have yet to receive the title in the mail, but I have insurance and my paperwork so I haven't really worried about driving it around getting the carb and steering dialed in.

Build Log

PostPosted: August 11, 2016, 5:32 pm 

That's quicker than expected. Did you do specially constructed or replica? I was planning replica so I could license and insure as historic vehicle and only have to comply with the requirements for the year it is a replica of.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: August 11, 2016, 10:07 pm 

FieroReinke wrote:
That's quicker than expected. Did you do specially constructed or replica? I was planning replica so I could license and insure as historic vehicle and only have to comply with the requirements for the year it is a replica of.

That is the route I went also. I know a 2016 vehicle wouldn't need an inspection for 5 years, but after 5 years, I don't want to have to argue with an inspector as to why my 2016 vehicle lacks a catalytic converter etc.

Build Log

PostPosted: August 17, 2016, 11:24 pm 

Chris
This is how an inspector explained the process. You can really speed up the process by taking your paper work to Jeff City yourself after the inspection.
The highway patrol uses something they call trouper mail to move documents back and forth from Jeff City to your inspection station. It's like a slow pony express. A Springfield cop will pick up the mail at Jeff City going to points west south and take it to Springfield. When a Carthage cop has to go to Springfield he will pick up the mail for the Carthage inspection station. Your Vin plate has to go to your inspectation station by trouper mail.
On both cars After inspection I took my paper work directly to Jeff City, applied for title as a 1962 lotus 7 with pictures, paid all fees and taxes. Both times I had to argue my case that it should be titled as a 1962 Lotus 7 in accordance with Sema. With out that discussion I don't know how they would have titled it. The title came to my house in less than a week. She had the vin plate but would not let me take it back to The Carthage inspection station to have it riveted on. Each time it took over a week to get the call to have the vin installed.
Gale

PostPosted: August 21, 2016, 9:20 am 

August 20: title arrived by mail

Build Log

PostPosted: August 21, 2016, 9:35 am 

How is the wording on the title......19** Lotus 7?

PostPosted: August 25, 2016, 10:18 pm 

1961 lotus

1961 was the last year of a plate style in Missouri so it is easy to find a 1961 plate

Down by the address it has REPLICA in all caps

Build Log

PostPosted: January 22, 2018, 3:05 pm 

So much great info guys!

Bonus! I am so happy tovsee that there are some locosters here in Missouri and from the looks of things one in Joplin! Im in carthage. Super cool.

PostPosted: January 22, 2018, 4:28 pm 

Hey Wicky and Hilux don't forget the Midwest Gathering in NW Arkansas in May. It will be a great place to see and trade Locost ideas, Russ

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 9:02 am 

Great info! I’m in the planning stage right now and just wondering if you’re using a windshield and wipers? Reasoning is i plan on running a speedster type w/o windshield and wipers and have read that in order to do so it must be registered as an “on road dune buggy” . I’m primarily going to use it as an autocross car but would like to be able to drive it on the road (legally “ from time to time. Also planning on chain driven BEC and was told that reverse is not required for inspection.

Thanks
J

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 9:25 am 

Daddyj, will we be seeing you in Mountain Home, AR this May? Should be a great time! This same question applies to wicky & hilux!

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 9:34 am 

That is very possible. What time and place is the event? I’m in KC MO but if possible I’ll definitely put it on the calendar!

J

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 5:17 pm 

It's the second weekend in May, the 10th through 13th. Mountain Home, AR, a few miles South of the state line, and about 80 miles East of Branson. Roughly 275 miles from KC, MO. More info here; http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19092

Hope to see you there! :cheers: