LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 8, 2023, 12:15 am 

My car has been finished for (sadly) a couple years now as I've been going back and forth with the California DMV. I obtained the SB100 via the smog referee and the CHP inspected my car and its components and put a blue VIN tag on the chassis. I have the brake and lamp inspection done as well.

Now, at seemingly the final step, the DMV is saying they can't complete my registration because they require a sticker from the NHTSA. I've never seen this requirement in any of my research into the CA registration process.

Has anyone else titled and registered in CA recently? Is this maybe a new thing? Or did my application go down the wrong path somehow to trigger this "requirement"?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: July 8, 2023, 5:04 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

IMHO, a kitcar consists of some used parts and is considered a used vehicle not subject to new car requirements for labelling unless the State has code or policy driven by code to require it. If they do, it would need to be a new requirement since they have not been requiring this.

NHTSA Chief Counsel Interpretation ID 8902:
Mr. Joel Trim
Manager
Mechanical Service Department
Neal & Massy Motors
P.O. Box 1298
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Dear Mr. Trim:
We have received your letter of July 7, 1993, asking the Secretary of Transportation for assistance in obtaining copies of any regulations and standards that govern the certification and operation of modified vehicles (stretch limousines), kit cars, and homemade vehicles. Your country, Trinidad, has no such regulations.
Under the dual Federal-State system of government in the United States, the registration, inspection, and operation of motor vehicles is a State function. We are unable to advise you on the laws of the individual States, but you may find assistance by writing the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, 4600 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22203.
Federal regulation of motor vehicles is primarily concerned with establishing and enforcing standards to be met when the vehicle is manufactured, the Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). With one minor exception the United States has no laws or regulations that apply specifically to the types of vehicles you have named. I am pleased, however, to explain how we have treated them over the years in the interpretive letters we have written.
A. Modified vehicles As you may know, each vehicle manufactured for sale in the United States must bear its manufacturer's label certifying that it complies with all FMVSS. If a vehicle is modified after it has left the factory and before it is sold, the modifier is required to affix its own label stating that the vehicle as modified complies with all FMVSS affected by the alteration. However, this label is not required if the modifications are minor changes affecting readily attachable equipment items. Further, under our law, no label is required if the vehicle is modified after it has been sold. I enclose a copy of our certification regulation, 49 CFR Part 567 and call your attention to Section 567.7 Requirements for persons who alter certified vehicles.
We have discovered instances in which modified vehicles (stretch limos) failed to conform to the FMVSS on braking and passenger protection. In accordance with our procedures, the modifiers were required to correct the noncompliances and to pay civil penalties for their violations.
B. Kit cars We have no definition of "kit cars" but we understand them to be passenger cars consisting of a mixture of old and new parts, assembled into vehicle form by either the supplier or purchaser of a kit of motor vehicle equipment. Some of the FMVSS apply to individual equipment items (for example, tires, glazing, seat belt assemblies), and if these items are new and furnished with the kit, they will have been certified by their manufacturers. If the vehicle is assembled entirely from new parts, the kit supplier must furnish certification with the kit that, when assembled, the vehicle will comply with all applicable FMVSS. However, if the vehicle is manufactured incorporating a number of previously used parts, particularly involving the chassis and/or drive train, we generally have considered the vehicle to be a used one, and none of the FMVSS that apply to new completed vehicles (as contrasted with those that apply to equipment items) apply to it.
In order to be registered for use, a kit car must meet the requirements of the State of licensing.

C. Homemade cars We have no definition of a "homemade car" but we understand such a vehicle to be a "one-off" and not intended for production. The FMVSS apply to every newly manufactured vehicle without exception, so that a vehicle built in a series of one must conform to the FMVSS if it is constructed entirely from new parts, and if the agency has not exempted it from compliance.
A homemade car must meet the requirements of the State where it is to be licensed.
For your information, I am also enclosing a booklet containing a brief description of each FMVSS, and an order blank for "Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations Parts 400-999" which contains the complete text of the FMVSS. If you have any further questions on this subject, we will be happy to answer them.
Sincerely,
John Womack Acting Chief Counsel
Enclosures ref:567 d:9/27/93

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 8, 2023, 11:03 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I think you are talking about components and not the car meeting NHTSA requirements.
It looks like you used a motorcycle drivetrain in a car:
viewtopic.php?t=13505
The motorcycle met NHTSA requirements for a motorcycle.

Bike motors in cars have been discussed many times.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 8, 2023, 1:34 pm 

Jake-
I think what the DMV was referring to was the "Lamp and Brake Inspection". The NHSTA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) dictates the requirements for lights, brakes, etc., etc. You need two more hoops to jump through. You need to visit an improved lamp and brake inspection station (see link).

https://www.bar.ca.gov/locator?plat=37.6635392&plng=-121.798656&locationType=CurrentLocation

Once done you need to make an appointment with the Calif. BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair); again see link.

https://asktheref.org/appointments/scheduling/

Once that's completed take all you paperwork back to the DMV for final plate issuance.

I sent you a response to you private email you sent to me about this process. I'll also look for another discussion on this site done a few years back.
Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: July 8, 2023, 1:42 pm 

Check out this discussion also.
Roy

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19301

PostPosted: July 9, 2023, 9:29 am 

As your registering from a kit rather than welding something together, you might get a help at https://usa7s.net/ There are many people there that have registered Caterhams/Birkin?westfields

Graham