LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:57 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

THANKS!!! I've been fixating on vanity plates as long as I've been working on the car. This plate's been waiting for me at the county clerk for about 5 months. Pity my car isn't a bit more "traditional." Anything *but* British racing green for me, thank you!

I also like SKEL8R for the car in its current condition, but that won't make so much sense when I put body panels on.

-dave "who is number one?" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: September 23, 2010, 1:54 pm 

So I email the Kentucky Department of Motor Vehicles about homebuilt and kit cars and this is reply I got.

Quote:
Good Afternoon, I received an e-mail this morning asking me to get in touch with you about kit vehicles & laws. There are no KRS on kit vehicles. I can inform you on how to title them, if that would help.

First of all; homemade(hmde) & kits are treated a little differently. On hmde vehicles you have to apply for a KY assigned number. That step requires a TC 96-169 form (Vin Application) you can get one on-line (mvl.ky.gov) go to forms or you can pick one up at your county clerk office. You need to submit copies of receipts for major parts. Notarized statement why applying for a vin & address where vehicle can be located. Last we need a handwritten sheriff inspection stating vehicle complies to chapter 189 in KRS. That lets us know if vehicle has lights, wipers, turning signals, etc.

Now, kit vehicles – you should have MSO (Manufacture Statement of Origin) or C of O (certificate of origin.) for the kit. If either or those origins have a vehicle identification number on it, get vehicle inspected once it’s completed (inspection will be on form TC 96-182) & if all new parts, apply for title through county clerk. If origins have the wording “serial number” you need to apply for a KY assigned number & apply for title after it’s attached & inspected. Now; if this kit has any used parts you need to apply through rebuilt section for a title instead of county clerk. We will require a TC 96-215 form, origin, original receipts for parts, descriptive notarized labor statement, 182 form completed & notarized showing inspection.

If you have any further questions or I didn’t make myself plain enough (which happens sometimes) just call at number below or e-mail back. I hope this helps you some.

Nothing really new but it might be helpful to someone.

PostPosted: September 24, 2010, 12:44 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Good info. Thanks or sharing, 96DXCivic. HEY!!! My wife drives a 96 Civic DX!

-dave "coincidence?" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

Post subject: Building cars in Quebec
PostPosted: October 3, 2010, 12:44 pm 

Province of Quebec is not exactly the best
place to build hand-made cars, because of
compulsory no fault insurance, plus stringent
requirements in fabrication of such vehicles.

So, my question is, how much it may cost [approx]
in other Provinces and States to park a turnkey
Locost in front of one's house, licensed-insured and
ready to go.
Here is a breakdown of our cost building a sev7en.
(Approximate-minimum)
Donor car 1000.$
New wheels and tires 700.$
Mechanical parts to donor 800.$
Steel for frame (bolts nuts nd'brackets) 250.$
Stainless for suspensions,windshield frame 200.$
Windshield Safety glass 150.$
Aluminum and fiberglass for bodywork 600.$
Seats,belts,gauges,steering,mirrors,etc. 950.$
Paint 400.$
-----
Sub-total 5050.$
Prov. of Quebec inspection
hand-built vehicles
1)Police inspection (for stolen car parts) 170.$
2)Engineer fee, frame chassis susp.appr. 1500.$
3)Mechanical inspection for hand-built 375.$
4)No fault insurance drivers over 25 years 400.$
old, below that, it runs into thousands
Sub-total 2445.$
Total 7495.$

And suppose one likes to sell his "Lokost"
because he wants to build another one, and needs
space (my case) How much he should ask for it ?
It takes approx.1600 man-hours to put one together
during leisure time. How much is worth leisure time

Ewhen

PostPosted: October 3, 2010, 1:33 pm 

Ewhen wrote:
Province of Quebec is not exactly the best
place to build hand-made cars, because of
compulsory no fault insurance, plus stringent
requirements in fabrication of such vehicles.

So, my question is, how much it may cost [approx]
in other Provinces and States to park a turnkey
Locost in front of one's house, licensed-insured and
ready to go.
Here is a breakdown of our cost building a sev7en.
(Approximate-minimum)
Donor car 1000.$
New wheels and tires 700.$
Mechanical parts to donor 800.$
Steel for frame (bolts nuts nd'brackets) 250.$
Stainless for suspensions,windshield frame 200.$
Windshield Safety glass 150.$
Aluminium and fiberglass for bodywork 600.$
Seats,belts,gauges,steering,mirrors,etc. 950.$
Paint 400.$
-----
Sub-total 5050.$
Prov. of Quebec inspection
hand-built vehicles
1)Police inspection (for stolen car parts) 170.$
2)Engineer fee, frame chassis susp.appr. 1500.$
3)Mechanical inspection for hand-built 375.$
4)No fault insurance drivers over 25 years 400.$
old, below that, it runs into thousands
Sub-total 2445.$
Total 7495.$

And suppose one likes to sell his "Lokost"
because he wants to build another one, and needs
space (my case) How much he should ask for it ?
It takes approx.1600 man-hours to put one together
during leisure time. How much is worth leisure time

Ewhen

thank you ewhen, those are some pretty good numbers for baseline, imhop, that include some of the information that tends to get forgotten in the mental rush of building, once again "the devil is in the details". (in our next episode bullwinkle asks, "how much did i pay for washers mr peabody?!?" :rofl: )
i'm curious though, once you've paid the "engineer" fee, is that for the single frame or will it cover all the frames you build of that design? we don't have a chassis design approval requirement out here in california. ..
you bring up a very important point if one plans to go into production, my estimate, with jigs,4-6 hours to cut the metal for the chassis, 8 hours to weld up a book chassis without putting on any tabs/suspension mounting points/floors/etc. then another day at least putting on the tabs, 1/2 day minimum to put on a floor(better to plan a day imhop). .. and thats just the basic chassis with many many things still to be done. i suspect you could build another for less if you had planned to from the beginning but would have spent twice as much time building the first one to do so meaning some 3000 labor hours for the first one and maybe 6-800 per unit after that. than there's picking up materials, sweeping up the shop, and a myriad of other small things that all add up. build something as eyepopping as what pook is doing right now and the time goes up exponentially, curved tubes, double mitered cuts, and so on all take more time. .. my excursion into the world of self employment lasted 6 years with a goodly profit but i definitely wasn't working a 40 hour week to do it, more like 50-60 after everything was said and done. ( :rant: i hate paperwork!! :rant:) those numbers are wag's of course and i take a break every couple of hours to stretch and drain which would affect the totals.

PostPosted: October 3, 2010, 9:11 pm 

oldejack wrote:
[

thank you ewhen, those are some pretty good numbers for baseline, imhop, that include some of the information that tends to get forgotten in the mental rush of building, once again "the devil is in the details". (in our next episode bullwinkle asks, "how much did i pay for washers mr peabody?!?" :rofl: )
i'm curious though, once you've paid the "engineer" fee, is that for the single frame or will it cover all the frames you build of that design? we don't have a chassis design approval requirement out here in california. ..
you bring up a very important point if one plans to go into production, my estimate, with jigs,4-6 hours to cut the metal for the chassis, 8 hours to weld up a book chassis without putting on any tabs/suspension mounting points/floors/etc. then another day at least putting on the tabs, 1/2 day minimum to put on a floor(better to plan a day imhop). .. and thats just the basic chassis with many many things still to be done. i suspect you could build another for less if you had planned to from the beginning but would have spent twice as much time building the first one to do so meaning some 3000 labor hours for the first one and maybe 6-800 per unit after that. than there's picking up materials, sweeping up the shop, and a myriad of other small things that all add up. build something as eyepopping as what pook is doing right now and the time goes up exponentially, curved tubes, double mitered cuts, and so on all take more time. .. my excursion into the world of self employment lasted 6 years with a goodly profit but i definitely wasn't working a 40 hour week to do it, more like 50-60 after everything was said and done. ( :rant: i hate paperwork!! :rant:) those numbers are wag's of course and i take a break every couple of hours to stretch and drain which would affect the totals.

Thank You Oldejack
In the Province of Quebec, each frame-chassis built by individuals, and not derived from recognized manufacturers, including suspensions, plus quality
and specs of material used, must be approved by an
engineer appointed by Dept of Transport.
The reason for high fee is the liability insurance
cost, engineer has to cover for that particular build.
As for time consuming with first project, you are correct , it's those little brackets holding different gizmos around the whole frame that take time to fabricate. The time for the next project for sure
can be cut in half.
Greets
Eugene

PostPosted: October 21, 2010, 8:54 pm 

Overall I give KY two thumbs up for as straight forward and simple a process of registering a build as possible.
The steps I experienced differed a little from Hempy's experince. But, after playing the bureaucratic game, i'm now Licenced to Drive !!

ps. dhempy: drop me message next time you're in town to come inspect my car first hand.

Cheers.
Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 22, 2010, 12:49 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Hey, that's awesome, Paul! :cheers: I'll look you up, for sure. Is my math straight that you build that in about a year? BTW, where's your build log? We want pics and at least a little commentary on what you built. Why not start a new thread under "Completed Builds"?

-dave

PostPosted: November 22, 2010, 1:21 am 

Thanks for the info on KY titles for kit/homemade cars. I've got people on the inside right now, but if I don't hurry up and build my car they may retire. Good times. :D

Finished product: http://www.fawbush.org/images/2012_8_19_buggy/2012_8_19_first_drive_6.JPG

PostPosted: November 26, 2010, 1:11 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Georgetown, eh?!?! We need to hook up! Do you drive it in the winter? Next 65 degree day we get, we should meet up at Sonic or something. Or come to Lex and visit my shop, or invite me up to yours! Somehow I missed that you are in Georgetown. COOL!

See you soon, I hope.

-dave 859-351-2363

PostPosted: February 9, 2012, 9:24 pm 

Wow , nice to see there are people in Ky who have already gone through the trouble of getting a Locost licensed.
One thing I'd like to add to what 96DXCivic said: The person who e-mailed me from the transportation cabinet also said "Any used parts we will need the VIN number of the vehicle those parts were taken from."
Maybe they changed the rules.

PostPosted: February 11, 2012, 12:11 am 

Something I ran across that might be helpful for people considering a build. The Bullitt county KY clerks office has a page with a general rundown of krs 189 as well as the downloadable forms required for a build, it can be found at http://www.bullittcountyclerk.com/motor ... uggies.asp

PostPosted: February 11, 2012, 11:10 pm 

To the best of my memory I was only asked for receipts, not VIN numbers, for my engine/driveline. BUT I have all these on hand.
As previously paraphrased by our colleagues: "have a thick stack of oily receipts for inspection"...

From my experience Kentucky appears to be concerned with collecting the appropriate tax and inspecting standard vehicular things like headlights, horns, and turn signals. Overall I'd give KY two thumbs up. They denied some of my requests, but passed me at the end of the day.

Cheers

PostPosted: November 17, 2012, 12:13 am 

good to hear the process is fairly easy

PostPosted: November 17, 2012, 5:07 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Very easy, once your county sheriff's office is on board. One fellow in Ohio considered moving to Kentucky for a month just to register is car. I encouraged him!