LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Michigan Info
PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 9:07 am 

I think you will find that the title process will take less time then stated. It only took three weeks for my title and VIN about 4 years ago. My guess is as long as they do not have any issues with the serial numbers on the engine/trans, it will take less time. The state police actually came out to my house to put the VIN sticker on the frame.

Dave W

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 7:24 pm 

Ah good to hear. The motor i got the bike from was clean and clear when it got parted out so i "shouldn't" have any problems. I know it would be frowned upon but i have an R1 sitting in my garage and i was thinking of restamping the motor from the car to match that of the bike. I dont plan to sell the bike as i would loose my ass on it by now and i plan to retire it as a full time track bike in 1.5 years and pick a new one up for the street.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: March 21, 2012, 1:31 pm 

I'm only in the planning stages of my build but i'm also concerned about this...

can i slap a windshield and crap on there just for inspection and then take it off?

i was thinking of always having the windshield on so i could drive the car without a helmet on but now i'm thinking i might want to take it out.

also do they actually check the height of the lights and stuff?

there's a regulation in the michigan vehicle code that states headlights have to be 24" off the ground at center... i was planning on a car with 15" wheels (maybe 16" for the street, to up the ride height a bit) and 24" off the ground is going to make for some funky fenders with the "DSR" style i'm trying to go for.

any and all info would be great.

push comes to shove i'll put some honking big wheels on it to jack the ride height up for the inspection and put the car back down later... with all the stanced cars out there i'm sure i'd be the least annoying one with headlights that are "too low" i plan to aim them correctly and use proper cutoffs (looking at the Hella 2.5" projectors)

PostPosted: April 16, 2012, 8:36 am 

timmay wrote:
there's a regulation in the michigan vehicle code that states headlights have to be 24" off the ground at center... i was planning on a car with 15" wheels (maybe 16" for the street, to up the ride height a bit) and 24" off the ground is going to make for some funky fenders with the "DSR" style i'm trying to go for.

What size tires are you planning to run on your 15" or 16" wheels? Most people are going to pick a 24-25" tire . . . But yes, pure DSR style is going to be difficult.

Can headlights be in "unique" locations? Say on the Main Hoop, projecting out over your head? That probably has a lot of other issues and is only a random idea.

PostPosted: April 16, 2012, 8:39 am 

What is the recommended documentation for engines on an Assembled vehicle in Michigan?

Is a notarized Bill of Sale from the seller acceptable? (Assuming the seller has zero backing docs?)

Ideally I would think it would be nice to have the VIN of the donor vehicle and proof that the seller owns said donor (a photocopy of title?)

Thanks,