LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michigan Info
PostPosted: August 20, 2005, 9:18 pm 
So for Michigan seems to have very clear and understandable documentation (so far).

This was taken from:
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html

Michigan Assembled Vehicles

Some owners want to know how they can title and register an assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle is:

1. One built (assembled) from new or used materials and parts by someone not recognized as a manufacturer (usually an individual). Example: homemade vehicle.

2. One altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration. Example: a Volkswagen made into a dune buggy.

3. One which has had its body replaced with that from another vehicle. Example: pickup truck has its cab replaced.

4. One assembled from a kit (often called "kit cars"), even if a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin is provided.

Procedure to title an assembled vehicle:

1. You will need ownership documents for all vehicles or major component parts used in assembling the vehicle. This includes:

* Titles
* Assigned ownership documents (example: Release of Abandoned Vehicle notice from police department)
* Original bills of sale

The following parts must be accounted for in the ownership documents presented:
Engine, Transmission, Body Parts (doors, front and rear clips), Frame including axles.

You will need to bring these documents to the branch office.

2. You will also be asked to complete a certification statement summarizing the building of the vehicle. It should include:

* A description of the vehicle and its parts,
* Who assembled the vehicle,
* When and where it was assembled or reconstructed,
* Any special information about the vehicle to assist the investigator.

3. A Vehicle Number/On-Road Equipment Inspection (form TR-54) completed by a police officer must be submitted. The inspection will verify the vehicle has all equipment required for on-road registration.

4. All assembled vehicles require a state-assigned vehicle identification number (VIN). There is a $10 fee for this.

5. When you apply for your assembled vehicle title, tax is due on all parts unless paid at time of purchase.

6. A license plate cannot be sold until the Department's Investigations Division places the assigned VIN sticker on the vehicle and releases the new title to the owner. This will usually be about eight weeks from the time of title application. The Investigations Division will contact you for an appointment, usually at a local State Police Post or Secretary of State branch office. A 30-day or 60-day permit may be purchased if you need to register the vehicle before the Investigations Division places the new VIN sticker on the vehicle.

Related Documents
Instructions for Titling an Assembled Vehicle (BFS-72)
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BFS-7 ... 3315_7.pdf

Post subject: Re: Michigan Info
PostPosted: September 13, 2005, 9:04 am 

DMCunningham wrote:
3. A Vehicle Number/On-Road Equipment Inspection (form TR-54) completed by a police officer must be submitted. The inspection will verify the vehicle has all equipment required for on-road registration.

This is the most complex part of a very easy system.

TR-54 is just a checklist for a police officer to inspect a vehicle for road-going equipment - including
Headlights (one each side, high and low beams)
Turn signals (front and rear)
Taillight (at least one, if equipped with two both must work)
License plate light
Brake Lights
Horn
Bright light indicator
Windshield wipers
Windshield washers
Brakes (adequate to stop and hold the vehicle)
Parking brake
Safety belts (1965 and newer models)
Safety Glass (no plexiglas, sufficient size to protect driver and passengers, no cracks, no obstructions, non-transparent material prohibited)
Outside rearview mirror on driver’s side (adjustable)
Bumpers (required on passenger vehicles, 14 to 22 inches above the ground)
Tires (2/32 inch tread, no exposed cord or tread separation, approved for highway use by D.O.T.)
Exhaust (good working order, no excessive noise.)

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2005, 1:08 pm 
I see that wipers / washers are required, but is a windshield needed? I was thinking of the lower aero style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10, 2006, 11:50 am 
whats the word on bumpers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10, 2006, 12:09 pm 

Windshields and bumpers? Ugh, I hope they're not required. A horn? Can you say "dead weight"? :lol:

My friend's father is a police officer, I'll see if I can get some input on this.

Post subject: Michigan inspection
PostPosted: May 31, 2007, 10:41 am 

I did not have bumpers for my inspection and it was not an issue. But they did inspect for a windshield washer. They also checked the seat belt clasp function and the E-brake.
Dave W

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 8:56 pm 

I registered my LoCost a couple of years ago in Michigan. I was able to use a hand operated windsheild wiper (Marine style unit). The front bumper is a curved piece of tubing inside the nose cone (I told the policeman that the bumper was located inside the bumper cover or nose cone, just like most new cars today). The rear bumper is a tubing piece that was also the spare tire mount and license plate holder.
I also used a brake line lock for the parking brake.

Since I originally registered my car, I have been told that you don't have to have a windsheild, but if you do it must be laminated safety glass. I have not tried this myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 8:38 pm 

Just found this, it's the actual form for inspecting an "assembled vehicle" in Michigan. The one big sticking point that I see is the safety glass requirement. How on earth are you supposed to put a safety glass windshield on a locost?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 8:48 pm 
Locostering Legend

Like everyone else does, I guess.

Make a template, go to glass shop, ask for DOT 50, AS-1 safety plate, pay them when you pick it up. Remember to request that they etch AS-1 on the lower left corner and save receipt with the same information thereon. Show both to state police officer inspecting the car.

Drive car.

Smile big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 9:22 pm 

I wasn't aware most people were using real safety glass. I just figured plexiglass or something. Either way... It has to be of a sufficient size to protect the driver and passenger? Seems pretty vague.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 9:40 pm 
Locostering Legend

That looks like an inspection form. Search the underlying state code. It will probably have 50+ pages of requirements on lights, brakes, glass, etc.

PA wants an AS-1 windshield 12 inches high "unless the car being replicated had a shorter windshield". Street rods need a 7-inch high windshield.

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 12:03 am 

everything seems easy but... windshield washers?. Im thinking of just getting a washer bottle and the pump off a car at a yard and doing a temp install. Everything else seems easy with a manual type of wiper as it doesn't specify mechanical or not and a wiper is a wiper.

Anyone know the rules on bodywork? I would like to start this process as soon as possible (this winter) so i can be ready for summer, but my body will take some time as its a custom middy. Im assuming that if a dune buggy will pass anything will

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 12:07 pm 

My inspection did not include anything relative to the body parts, but I had a standard type Seven body. But You see dune buggies on the streets of Michigan with just a floor pan and a tube structure, so I would think if you get pass the windshield and the washer deal you would be good to go. For the windshield I just had the bill from the glass company which indicated that I purchased DOT safety glass.

Dave W

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 2:07 pm 

Yea I plan to rig up a temp windshield, wiper, and sprayer to pass inspection.

So this is the basic process?
-build car to spex
-go to Sec of State with receipts and documentation and fill out paperwork
-meet with state police for inspection
-take inspection documentaion to SOS where a title is awarded
-take car to state police for VIN

Is that correct? Also how did they apply your vin number? Did they stamp your frame, apply a sticker, or rivet on a plate?

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 2:15 pm 

Also it says there's an 8 week delay between applying for the vin/title and actually getting the inspection and title. So the fastest route would be to apply for a title 4-6 weeks out from having a "legal" version of your car?