LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 30, 2011, 9:38 pm 

So just to make sure I understand, you didn't have to do emissions at all?

Thanks for the writeup! Really gives me hope when (more like 'if') I finish my car!

PostPosted: November 30, 2011, 9:50 pm 

That's right, there was no emissions test done, or for that matter no safety check done. Except for just dealing with it, mostly the fact that no one seems to know what they are doing until it has to be done, it was really easy.
Wayne, my car has plates, Evans 8)

PostPosted: December 8, 2011, 7:54 pm 

Wayne,

As far as reciepts go... what do i need to hold on to? Will i need the bill of sale for my engines? That part didnt seem too clear.

Thanks a bunch
Mo

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 20, 2011, 11:56 pm 

they seemed to have little interest in the engine and drive train parts, at least for mine, I would have a bill of sale or basic receipt for those parts though, so you can, sort of, prove they aren't stolen. I would have the vin number of the donor car if possible, although I was never asked for any of that. I did show the engine receipt at the roadworthyness inspection. In Colorado they seem more interested in parts like fenders and doors that you might be using from a donor car. we don't use any of that though, so they just pass on it. sort of weird. :?
Wayne.

PostPosted: December 21, 2011, 8:54 am 

elewayne wrote:
they seemed to have little interest in the engine and drive train parts, at least for mine, I would have a bill of sale or basic receipt for those parts though, so you can, sort of, prove they aren't stolen. I would have the vin number of the donor car if possible, although I was never asked for any of that. I did show the engine receipt at the roadworthyness inspection. In Colorado they seem more interested in parts like fenders and doors that you might be using from a donor car. we don't use any of that though, so they just pass on it. sort of weird. :?
Wayne.

Thanks wayne.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: January 3, 2012, 2:12 am 

I am from the Springs, and will be starting a build soon. I am not planning to use a windshield. If a wiper is required... Sounds as if a shield itself is as well. Maybe a temp setup altogether.?

Buy Nutek Forged wheels!

PostPosted: January 4, 2012, 11:08 pm 

Fortysixand2 wrote:
I am from the Springs, and will be starting a build soon. I am not planning to use a windshield. If a wiper is required... Sounds as if a shield itself is as well. Maybe a temp setup altogether.?

I wouldn't take this as gospel, since it's practically fourth party information, but I called and spoke with one of the officers at the Castle Rock branch and what he told me was that they don't require a windshield. Basically, he's going to look the car over for lights, seatbelts, horn and a few other basic safety features. Other than that, if it can run and drive on it's own and there's nothing obviously unsafe, they don't seem to care to much.

PostPosted: January 5, 2012, 9:14 am 

reddeth wrote:
Fortysixand2 wrote:

I wouldn't take this as gospel, since it's practically fourth party information, but I called and spoke with one of the officers at the Castle Rock branch and what he told me was that they don't require a windshield. Basically, he's going to look the car over for lights, seatbelts, horn and a few other basic safety features. Other than that, if it can run and drive on it's own and there's nothing obviously unsafe, they don't seem to care to much.

Wow! That was completely different information than what i got from the Denver State Trooper Branch. Can you go through Castle Rock if you live in denver??

Thanks
Mo

PostPosted: January 11, 2012, 2:40 am 

Just a long time car guy and machinac I know here was under the impression that if you didn't have a top then you didn't have to have a windshield. IF you didn't have a windshield you didn't have to have a wiper either. Since I had the Brooklands though, I did have to have a wiper. Even though it was hand operated and only on the drivers side. I never asked if I had to have the windshield though.
Wayne

PostPosted: April 13, 2013, 10:14 pm 

I will also add this at a now much later date. They don't seem to care where you get these inspections done. There several locations around to get it done. I lived, at the time, in Longmont and got the inspections done at Denver and Golden locations so I guess it doesn't matter at all. I did my DMV stuff in the small town I was living in but I think It could be done anywhere in the state. I'd try a small town so I could easily get the same person to work with through the whole thing. When I did my camp trailer I was living in another bigger city, sort of in Denver. The DMV office there was s circus so I went back to Longmont. I don't recall anyone asking me at any time if I actually lived in Longmont. Of course I had a Longmont address.?????

When I got to Houston they just took my Colorado title and issued me a new one from Texas. charged me another $250 bucks and I was set to go. Who knows.
Wayne