LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Quebec Canada?
PostPosted: August 24, 2005, 8:06 pm 

anyone know whot is need? i've download the pdf on the SAAQ web site but hopw to find someone to give sime feed back

is a windchield and heater really need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2005, 8:41 pm 

You might want to email one of these folks and ask them.

http://www.locostusa.com/yahoo/CDN%20Builders.txt

Post subject: Re: Quebec Canada?
PostPosted: September 16, 2005, 9:10 pm 
physician wrote:
anyone know whot is need? i've download the pdf on the SAAQ web site but hopw to find someone to give sime feed back

is a windchield and heater really need?

I'm waiting on news from the SAAQ for this... i've been drooling for a Locost for long enough...

The main problem seems to be in getting the chassis approved from what I can read in the SAAQ PDF documents...

If you find anything let me know, the SAAQ seems to be taking it's sweet time to answer.

BTW, windshield and heater(just enough to defog the windshield) are necessary according to the documents I found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2005, 8:55 pm 
I just spent part of the after-noon with a SAAQ guy from the head office and here is the rundown...

When building a "home-made" replica that involves using a hand-made chassis(you CANNOT register kit-cars in Quebec) you must provide to the SAAQ a certificate from an Engineer explaning that the chassis was built accodring to the rules and is safe to drive on public roads... So technically that engineer is almost responsible if you crash the car [PooPoo] happens...

So in either words... my project is now officially on the rock until I get a big garage and enough money to haul it to the track 1-2 times per month...

Sad... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2005, 9:33 pm 

Skyllz wrote:
I just spent part of the after-noon with a SAAQ guy from the head office and here is the rundown...

When building a "home-made" replica that involves using a hand-made chassis(you CANNOT register kit-cars in Quebec) you must provide to the SAAQ a certificate from an Engineer explaning that the chassis was built accodring to the rules and is safe to drive on public roads... So technically that engineer is almost responsible if you crash the car [PooPoo] happens...

So in either words... my project is now officially on the rock until I get a big garage and enough money to haul it to the track 1-2 times per month...

Sad... :cry:

Could you theoretically sell your build to a person in the U.S. and then have them get a VIN and title and then buy it back? Yes it would be a great deal of hassle but a friend on the border might make it easier. But only if your friend could register the car as the genuine article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2005, 10:34 pm 
Nope, it might end up being legit ot transport Canada but it would still not pass Quebec inspection unless it's registered has an original...

Now I know why I dont see any kitcars in Quebec(Cobra Replica and others...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27, 2005, 11:38 pm 
You could always buy a car and title, make the car dissapear and register it as that car. This is just a quick ebay search for the word title:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Maz ... 8002327675

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-wra ... 8001813739

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Tr ... 8003102701

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-kia ... 8003302635

(this one is good)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-92-Tr ... 8003484854

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-FORD- ... 8003522553

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-COR ... 4584QQrdZ1

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28, 2005, 9:47 am 

Another thing to look into is cars 15 years and older are allowed in Canada. Maybe you can get an older Westfield for the UK and import. More money of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28, 2005, 8:36 pm 
Dave wrote:
Another thing to look into is cars 15 years and older are allowed in Canada. Maybe you can get an older Westfield for the UK and import. More money of course.

Exactly.. not locost anymore... :( not to mention I would not fit in a westfield to start with :lol:

Oh well... unless I stumble upon a drunk engineer who feels like signing some papers i'll set this aside then.

was fun while it lasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28, 2005, 10:27 pm 
There is a company in NY that titles kit cars, not sure if they can help, but...

888-521-1891 or 585-342-5769
PO box 17325, rochester NY 14617

I have no experience with them, but their advertisement reads:

KIT CAR TITLES
100% legal - Low Cost
Fast Service
Title, Plates,
Appraisals &
Insurance References
11 years in Business

-US TITLE SERVICE-

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2, 2006, 4:35 am 

there is some kit cars but i could not retrace the owners as of now.
i talk with a guy with a 33 ford kit.. he bought it from someone else.. he dont know anything. there is some cobras and buggys, but at the speed they pass, i dont have tiome to ask..lol

t-rex are somewhat frequant, but they are motorcycles here...

i'm not building for now since i'm studying mechanical engineering..( wouwou! may help! )

i saw 3 lotus 7 , one that is known to be home build, but again, could contact the owner...

i'm still looking, i'll come back when i'll have more details

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 8:39 pm 

Hi Guys,

I know of at least one Locost that was completed and registered in Quebec last year. I'm trying to get the exact details of how it was done i.e. the engineer inspection. Also a buddy of mine is getting a Factory Five so I'll as him for some details as well.

As soon as I have news I'll post them.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 8:50 pm 

Apparantly in BC a "Structural Integrity" report has been considered comparable to an Engineer's report. Is there a Specialty Vehicle Association in Quebec you can talk to?

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 9:09 pm 

SkinnyG wrote:
Apparantly in BC a "Structural Integrity" report has been considered comparable to an Engineer's report. Is there a Specialty Vehicle Association in Quebec you can talk to?

G

Not that I know of, but we do need a club or association. I know that the Rally Guys had some issues with their car in the past. They work with the SAAQ to have their cars approved for the road, the race cars have to be plated since they have to run on public roads between stages. I have a few rally friends, I'll contact them as well. I have several other contacts to explore. I never went throught them, since my car is a Track only car, but down the road :lol: I do want a street S2 so might as well plan ahead. :wink: If others can benefit from the info ...GREAT, since I'd really like to see more of these cars being built around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26, 2006, 11:37 am 

Ok I got a bit of details...

You will need to have the car be inspected by an engineer refered by the SAAQ. There will be cost involved. Threse nothing to fear from this ,since engineers jobs are exatcly to do this: They have been shooled, trained and certified to confirm that designs are safe: That's their jobs !!!

It has been done. The key is to document everything, keep bills, but it those place a standard for you to keep. Good welding and good build quality.

As I find more I'll post the details here...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next