LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Really, how fast?
PostPosted: August 18, 2012, 6:26 am 

I find speed relevant to where you are, flat out on a Superbike on a freeway or a track day is quite comfortable compared to some of the situations I have been in while driving a rally car at 1/2 the speed.

A schoolmate of mine who was Victorian Rally Champ (a State of Oz) 3 different years, intentionally ran a 4 speed (rather than a 5 speed) in his Nissan to limit his top speed becaused it scared him so much!

PostPosted: August 18, 2012, 2:04 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
A schoolmate of mine who was Victorian Rally Champ (a State of Oz) 3 different years, intentionally ran a 4 speed (rather than a 5 speed) in his Nissan to limit his top speed becaused it scared him so much!

I've read that Tony Stewart, arguable the best American driver of his generation, was too scared to run a 410 sprint on his own dirt track (Eldora). I've talked to IndyCar drivers who were scared at 225, and fine at 230, at Indy -- it depended on the setup and track conditions.

I took a ride at 165 mph in a 2-seat Indy Car. Driven by professional driver, I wasn't scared. On the way home, I was scared @$@#$-less while in traffic.

It's all relative I think. 100 mph on a lonely highway in a good car is slow, and 5 mph driving through a preschool playground would be wayyyy too fast.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: August 18, 2012, 2:49 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
I took a ride at 165 mph in a 2-seat Indy Car. Driven by professional driver, I wasn't scared. On the way home, I was scared @$@#$-less while in traffic.

Reminds me, went to a Buell Dealers release day once and was knocking around at about 220-240 kmh down the back straight pulling up hard into a tight hairpin throughout the afternoon then hopped on my 6 year old GSX-R750 to go home and went about the same speed on a lovely backroad through the sugar cane - lets just say that 6 years of brake advancement besides being new ..... I was lucky there was no cars coming as I scrabbled using the whole road to turn at the 'T' junction that I just couldn't pull up for from about 200+kay!

http://maps.google.com.hk/maps?hl=en&ne ... a=N&tab=wl

PostPosted: March 1, 2014, 11:09 pm 

Im sure Porkie (Lee) would tell you to man up.... lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZtFUJHFV0