LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: June 20, 2013, 11:03 am 

Wemtd, I would rather not say who and where this company is. These comments that were made were just that, one set of comments. The other 20 minutes were nothing but informative and good conversation.

As for the rest of your comment my experience has been that 7 builders are everywhere but very few interchangeable parts. (Maybe I misunderstood your question)

2x. .... Yes we need a report on the dvd

PostPosted: June 20, 2013, 12:14 pm 

I believe most of the Locost cars are under developed. If you take the time and effort to adjust on them, dial them in you can get the same as everyone else. But I think a lot of owners just build and drive, and that's perfectly OK.

Graham

PostPosted: June 22, 2013, 12:20 am 

Well DVD sold out now, I agree we need a report.

PostPosted: June 22, 2013, 7:52 am 

Quote:
Well DVD sold out now, I agree we need a report.

Or start a loaner library program :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 23, 2013, 9:38 am 

More copies of the DVD available here;
http://www.dukevideo.com/prdUKT1/Ultima ... 7-Replicas

Check out the other DVDs shown at the bottom of the page.....some look interesting.

Still haven't watched it yet. I'll be batching next week when my wife is at the lake so I'll watch it then and report.

PostPosted: June 23, 2013, 10:37 am 

Yep, It is on "the Bay" too for 23 USD delivered. Awaiting your review.....

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 4, 2013, 11:54 pm 

DVD review -

I'm only half way through it (savoring it rather than bingeing) and I'm rating it overall a 7.5 out of 10. It gives good descriptions of the cars and has good photography. In parts there is annoying background music that masks the talking and the engine note (why do movie producers insist on doing that? Drives me crazy). The lap time comparisons are interesting as the specs of the individual cars are so different but it does quantify how much difference a hundred extra hp makes...I'll leave it for you to see the results yourself, won't spoil the plot. Unfortunately there are no straight line acceleration tests or braking tests but the on track footage does provide a good idea of how each car handles. Overall I'm very satisfied with the DVD and I'd buy it again....hmmm, I'm changing my rating to 8 out of 10 where the ten is my own personal dream of what a DVD like this could actually be like. I'll definitely watch it multiple times.

Bill

PostPosted: July 5, 2013, 9:09 pm 

Thanks for the report Bill. Based on your report I thought i would do the same. Two weeks ago I was able to spend some time with a couple caterhams (race prepped r500 and a csr) and they are amazing cars. The fit and finish are just as you would think and the performance is .... well ...... fast, nimble, and wow. If my car comes close to these I will be thrilled. Given this was my first "hands on" with a seven it was nice to see and feel what these cars are capable of.

PostPosted: July 5, 2013, 11:41 pm 

I've now watched to the end of the DVD. Turns out that I was only about 1/3 through it at the last report and the last half is the better half! I'd now rate it about 9.25 out of 10. Definitely worth the 20 something dollars it cost me as I'll enjoy watching it many times. There is enough info in the track tests to draw some conclusions about the effects of different horsepower, brakes, and chassis types. The comparison of the newer cars to the original S2 is very interesting and the result makes me happy as I'm a sap for old cars that can hold their own with modern stuff. I'd recommend this DVD for readers of the forum.

PostPosted: December 29, 2013, 12:27 am 
Weight watcher

Interesting question.
I believe the answer has another component that I didn't see in anyone's reply, which is the mental value of the car.
A guy that bought a car to drive it at the track is less likely to get caught up in thoughts about the last 4 years that he spent in his garage building the car, because he did not.
He wanted a track car, paid the bill and he's ready to go.
If you pinched pennies to make your project car and fabricated many of the components yourself, there's a good chance that you will hold back on getting the most out of your car.
It is also less likely that your car spec will actually be comparable too.

FWIW, I've never driven a locost at the track (I'm building mine as a racecar), but I have driven a Caterham R500 at the track and it was very v-e-r-y fast even with me tip-toeing around (not my $70K car...).

JMHO, YMMV.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: December 29, 2013, 7:08 am 

cheapracer wrote:
If you have to ask the question then the store built car is for you.

JackMcCornack wrote:
Oooh, harsh.

Wasn't meaning to be, 6 months later I hold the same thought; If you need to ask the question then apparently you don't have the technical ability to match the years of development of the "Factory" 7's.

Otherwise just build a Locost and enjoy it for what it is. :cheers:

PostPosted: December 29, 2013, 11:24 am 

Thanks Moti for the reply, I will find out for myself this summer. I have been thinking the same in that I will have spent nearly two years working on this car and am not sure about pushing it to the limits and then being the one to put it back together. However to alleviate that competitive itch, I'm in the planning stages of a spec Miata.

PostPosted: December 29, 2013, 11:44 am 

Hi cheapracer , while I respect your opinion I would like to disagree. I believe that not only the experts can be innovators. If I believed otherwise I would not have been able to be successful in my busuness to extent to which I am. I really have no clue if my car will be as good as a comparable caterham but that doesn't mean one cannot try to build it as such. The point of the original post was to have a conversation.

PostPosted: December 29, 2013, 2:07 pm 
The voice of reason

I think this is worth saying again.

Quote:
...that's a crock. If someone asked me "Would you rather have a Locost, or a Caterham?" I'd say a Caterham, but if they asked "Would you rather have a $40,000 Locost, or a $40,000 Caterham?" I'd shout "The Locost!" and jump up and down with glee. Ditto if someone asked, "Would you rather have four Locosts, or one Caterham?", or "Would you rather have a Locost and a van and a pickup, or a Caterham?" Heck, in my case, it's be "Would you rather have a Locost and a house, or a Caterham?" and yeah, I like my $30,000 house and my $10,000 Locost so I'd say the former.

PostPosted: December 29, 2013, 11:51 pm 
Weight watcher

kcburnzz wrote:
I'm in the planning stages of a spec Miata.

Unless you're planning on being very competitive, don't bother planning a Spec Miata, the used market is practically flooded with them.
You can pick up a mid pack car for $8-10K all day long and that will get you slicing and dicing all you want and you can get going right away.
Get one that has the safety stuff done right and doesn't need a ton of mechanical work and call it a day, SM is the one class that really doesn't worth the time planning too much.

If you are planning on being competitive, bring your check book.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next