LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 22, 2014, 4:45 pm 

Some great pictures from June 21st Autoslalom in Victoria B.C. put on by the VMSC.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92504596@ ... 878467267/

Enjoy...I sure did! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 8, 2014, 12:04 am 

Nice to see a local locost at autoX. If you find yourself looking to do autoX on the mainland, I can give you info. How does that car handle? I've gone for a ride in it, but only sedately on the street.

Cheers.

PostPosted: May 10, 2015, 9:29 pm 

The car handles great! I put a set of Hankook Ventus RS2 tires on it and it came to life. We have a very active autoX community here, and go to just about every event.

There are some more photos of the car from last month in the middle of this set:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131613068 ... 025851686/

PostPosted: June 2, 2015, 3:01 am 

Another great weekend of racing.

This event had 4 Super 7's! 2 were actual Caterhams....one a Busa powered machine that claimed FTD out of 55 cars.

Myself and Olaf (Deman SR7) made up the 2 Locost racers.

Some great photos here from Glenn: https://www.flickr.com/photos/92504596@ ... 741612574/

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: June 9, 2015, 10:57 pm 

Hey Chris!

Thanks for sharing the photos. Glad to see you out there having fun with the car. Besides the track, are you driving it much on the street too? I remember how fun it was to see people's reactions when I drove it in public. Do you have any planned modifications?

I'll be over on the island visiting the in-laws sometime this summer, so I'll have to meet up with you again.

Mark

PostPosted: June 12, 2015, 2:05 am 

Hi Mark,

Yes, we definitely drive the car on the street frequently...especially with the great weather we've been having! The reactions from the pubic are priceless....

We took the windshield off and now drive to the racetrack with our helmets on....we get lots of great attention like that too! We have goggles and earplugs for shorter drives...I get a smile on my face every time I drive that little car.

I have been contemplating fitting fuel injection onto the 3tc. I have some Hayabusa ITB's and am researching a microsquirt set-up. I recently added a Howe steering quickener. The car is very very responsive now. Steering effort increased a little ore than I would have liked, but I think I can tune that up a bit with wheel alignment tweaks. I have to re-learn how to drive it though...it's so different.

I made some fancy seat brackets and lowered the seats to the floor pan. I also gave them a bit more tilt. I have adjusted the brake and clutch pedals to accommodate the new seating position and minimize "dead space". I also machined up new pedal pivots to remove any slop from the factory stuff.

I have a few ideas for more mods, but really I'm just having so much fun with the car as is, I'm not sure I want to do much else. I did score a light weight aluminum flywheel...so I will swap that in one day. I also have a race cam shaft, but it's too aggressive for the stock carb to handle, hence EFI and the snow balling continues....lol.

I'm also researching frame designs and am thinking about building another one from scratch. Just bought a wrecked 2000 Miata 1.8L - 6spd and Torsen IRS. Long term project though. :roll:

Racing June 20th and 21st...

Cheers,

Chris

PostPosted: June 18, 2015, 12:57 am 

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the update. While I had the car, I had planned on putting a steering quickener in it too, but never got around to it. Did you go for the 1.5:1 ratio quickener?

I won't be able to make it there this weekend to watch you race, so make sure Glenn takes some more of those great pictures! I'll be over there in August sometime for a few days, so I'll plan to catch up with you for a visit then if you have time.

Good luck racing this weekend!

Mark

PostPosted: June 20, 2015, 11:49 pm 

mainlandboy wrote:
make sure Glenn takes some more of those great pictures!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92504596@ ... 521536913/

YUP!

PostPosted: June 21, 2015, 12:11 am 

How does the Smart car do in the slalom?

PostPosted: June 21, 2015, 12:54 am 

Not the fastest car, but the driver was having lots of fun...about 15 seconds off FTD. Needs more power...

I don't have the final results, because we had to leave early...but I did have FTD when we left :mrgreen:

There were some fast cars with great drivers still to run though...so it may not hold...(the photographer is one of them).....