LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 11:21 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've just realized that all my helmets have expired and I've got an autocross coming up (that tells you how often I've been on any type of track recently) so I need to find a good place to buy.

I realize that I need to try some on to see which style fits my head, and glasses, because I know they fit differently so first I've got to find an automotive source locally. Motorcycle helmets were all I was able to find before.

My experience has been that brick & mortar stores are dramatically more expensive for helmets. So much so that you can't afford to support them so where do you guys buy your helmets.

Is the 2015 standard out yet? I was thinking it wouldn't be out till after October, but I've been wrong before, I'm married, I've got kids and I've met JD in person.

Aren't HANS type attachment points required on just about all track days anymore?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 8:11 pm 
Always Moore!

I don't see how track days could enforce using HANS devices since you need a 4+ point harness to use one; its totally useless with a standard 3 point belt. Every one I've been to allowed SA or M helmets.

This won't help you at all but I bought my Bell from Summit's store. I went to Bell's site, searched for DFW area dealers, and they came up: http://www.performancespeedtech.com/

Do you have to have a car helmet or can you just go to a motorcycle shop for a bike helmet?

PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 8:39 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My son just bought himself a motorcycle helmet and got one with a 2015 rating. On the motorcycle helmets the HANS attachment points are optional.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't thought of shops @ Cresson. That's only about 20 minutes from my house.

The last time I tried on helmets the Bell didn't fit the shape of my head, but if they've got one they've probably got others.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 10:11 pm 

I had a similar issue and gave up finding a brick and mortar store so ended up buying from the internet. Great fit for my head but I cannot fit my glasses unfortunately. Not a big issue as I don't really need them but I would rather have them.
I could not get the 2015 Helmet either and also thought it was towards the end of the year the 2015 Snell rating comes out.

At this point though I would just take your old helmet and get a loaner if they don't let you use yours. It is definitely worth waiting a couple of months for a helmet that will be legal for an extra 5 years. Every club I race with has loaner helmets. If not do you have any friends with one, I know I have a spare.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 11:38 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Hopefully I can find either a new one or someone with a newer old one I can try on and see what brand fits my head & glasses.

Now I have 2 autocrosses so if nothing else I'll use the sweaty loaner and try on a few at the first one to see which ones I like and then I can shop.

As you said an extra 5 years of life on the helmet is worth a little due diligence.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 11:00 pm 
We are Slotus!

I've been told recently (I'm helmet shopping too) that the Snell 2015 helmets will be available in October. Mine is a 2000, so I've got to get a new one by then. The decision is "Do I buy a 2010 cheap when they go on sale, or do I get a 2015 a few weeks later, pay more, but get the full term of the helmet's legal life?" Decisions, decisions... Think I'm going for a 2015 helmet.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 11:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My son bought me a cool looking HJC motorcycle 2015 Snell helmet. He bought it the same size as his. He said he presumed our heads were the same size.

He bought a medium and it wouldn't even go on My old one is an XL so he says he'll exchange the medium for a large. It's obvious why my head's bigger, there's more brains in it.

I bet I can wear the large, but it won't be comfortable and the glasses probably won't fit, but it will carry me over until the 2015 car helmets come out.

I've got 2 autocrosses coming up that will allow me to test fit a few helmets from other people to see how each brand fits which will allow me to order with confidence online.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 11:17 pm 

so carguy, is your head not bell shaped, what are you, some kind of cone head or other?

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 12:29 am 
Toyotaphobe

john hennessy wrote:
so carguy, is your head not bell shaped, what are you, some kind of cone head or other?

You been window peepin' again?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 1:09 am 

My only SA helmet purchase was able to support the local race shop that helped me choose the right one for me. However, they actually did a decent amount of online sales as well, so their prices were actually pretty competitive.

john hennessy wrote:
...what are you, some kind of cone head...
I thought that was already covered when he said he needed it for an autox. :mrgreen:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 11:04 pm 

I have two problems: I insist on a properly-fitting helmet, and I have an oddly shaped head that makes finding a properly-fitting helmet all but impossible.

Long ago I got to be rather ept at prying the styrofoam liner pieces out without destroying them, carving them in some spots, adding a bit of closed-cell foam elsewhere, and so forth.

Even with expensive helmets, the foam is usually slaphazardly stuck in there, and the liner is glued around the edges of the foam. I have some tools I used specifically for removing the foam; they came from the local flea market, and were originally spatulas, salad tongs, and a long shoehorn. The liner can usually be freed with a razor blade and care.

I use double-sticky cellphane tape to holds the bits together during fitting, then some high-strength double-sticky tape for the foam-to-shell joint when I'm satisfied with the fit. I never seem to have any foam-safe, non-stinky glue around, and the tape works just fine.

One additional modification you might want to make is to add a 1" or so wide band of foam around the bottom perimeter along the sides and back. On some helmets it can give a dramatic reduction in wind noise.

The hard styrofoam is what absorbs impact. Try not to remove any you don't have to. The soft foam is to provide a more universal fit; as far as impacts go, it might as well not be there.

PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 5:25 pm 

I am also in the market for a new helmet this off season.. I currently use an SA2005 rated helmet that I drilled to make provisions to run a HANS, and it will be expired come December. Here is what I have gathered so far

The new SAH2015 rated helmets are available for purchase as of October 1st, but I haven't found a vendor yet that will ship before December 1st.

With the 2010 standards, there was an SA rating (no HANS provisions) and an SAH rating (HANS provisions provided). As far as I know, the 2015 standards make HANS provisions mandatory.

The M rated helmets are on a completely different level. As far as I have seen the 2015 helmets are already out. One point I would like to make. If you ride motorcycles and only autocross a street car then use an M rated helmet. If you ever even think that you will be in a car with a roll bar overhead, or only use your helmet for auto use, PLEASE buy an SA or SAH rated helmet. M rated helmets are tested for your noggin smacking the pavement. SA and SAH rated helmets are tested for your brain housing group smacking roll bars, windshield and b posts, pavement, your seat, and steering wheels....

Like I said, I purchased my SA 2005 helmet in 2005. It has had 10 years of at least monthly use. I am fairly certain that my decision is to purchase an SAH 2010 rated helmet once the 2015s ship and sales come in to get rid of old stock. This way I will force myself to be on a 5 year helmet plan rather than a 10 year replacement plan. After using a helmet for 10 years, I would rather spend a little more in the long run and get a new dome piece every five years....

Some companies I have dealt with and had success and good working relationships.

http://www.saferacer.com

http://www.ogracing.com

http://www.soloperformance.com

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com

http://www.ioportracing.com

Sorry for the rant, and I imagine that a lot of this information is common knowledge for many of you. I just have a soft spot for safety.. 19 years as a career firefighter/emt, ran on track safety crews, and had a few close calls on track myself over the years...

EDIT: I just remembered getting this email in my inbox last year. Theres a lot of good info in here, and I was able to find it on their blog if you want to read it...
http://www.ogracing.com/blog/2014/04/wh ... 15-helmet/