LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: April 1, 2011, 12:27 pm 

I too wanted to make my locost as close to a 'real' 7 as possible. - I guess that means different things to different people. If you look at the current Caterham line you'll see even they sell a wide variety of configurations and power levels. I believe their higher-end models are several inches wider than the 'classic' versions.

Me? I wanted a more modern sporty version and tweaked the book dimensions with both aesthetic and structural changes that I thought were improvements. (ie shorter wheel-base, sloping cockpit sides and additional triangulation.)

The most important issue here though (which has been touched on in previous posts) is "What is your donor going to be?" Unless you plan on spending $10k in piecemeal parts from the Caterham mail-order store you're going to end up making some level of modification to a Caterham frame copy.

First FIT YOUR CHASSIS TO YOUR DONOR. Start with a decent foundation (book plans) and make the necessary modifications. For example the height of a Miata mill is TALL and you'll have to make some kind of accommodation for that, or find a smaller engine.

Second, make other adjustments that are important to you. Maybe having round tubes under the bodywork is important to you, maybe it's the wheelbase or swoopy dash configuration. All those can be incorporated to make it your own but know where to draw the line. There are lots of things you could do to make it more Caterham-esc, but would it be worth it? For example I wouldn't recommend cutting an inch off each Miata half-shaft if the Caterham track is an inch narrower on each side. - Make it simple or you'll never finish.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: April 1, 2011, 5:56 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

rust_bucket wrote:
... Make it simple or you'll never finish.

Coupled with "If you don't start, you'll never finish."

PostPosted: April 2, 2011, 5:37 am 

Moti,

You know not to keep this thing going on a negative note and all.

I suspect I fit into that Fat catagory.

I have said I am using a 1997 Lincoln Mark 8 engine and trans, a frame built out of 11/4" 11 gauge tubing.

But the deal is I think your right.

Should I be able to call my car a Locost 7?

Yes, if I wanted to, because it's really not written in stone that it is deminsionally a LOTUS 7 is it?

But to be fair, by the time I finnish it most probably is not going to be Lo-Cost either.

To be true to the engine and transmission I do plan to put Lincoln emblems on the car.

Other than the drive train it's going to be all "ME".

I'm building the darn thing so why don't I get to put my darn name on it.

Oh I'll tell people it resembles a Lotus 7 but I built it.

I think people need to start giving themselves more credit and be proud of their abilities without franchising their product.

Guys, we are here to learn.

If Moti wants to call me fat, go right ahead because when I look at my bank account I like it good and FAT.

As to if I can afford a cobra, that's my and only my business and if you want to know it's gonna take a court order to find out.

So Moti, if you enjoy burning bridges, more power to yah brutha!

It's just that simple!

Oh and to get back on topic, I think those Pat Price prints are a pretty darn good start if your looking for skinny cars.

Mark.

PostPosted: April 3, 2011, 12:27 am 

Personally, I I love the looks and the lightness of the original cars but it did not fit MY wants, I will happily admit that my car is a bit chubby but I plan on building another one in the future that will be smaller and lighter. I don't mind my car being a bit big, after all where am I going to put all the ladies if my cockpit is only 36-40 inches wide :wink: and I have found many things that I can improve on for the next build, quite a few of them came from Moti and Kurt's builds. :cheers:

I love the idea of building an "original" spec car and I applaud anyone who is willing to source the parts and pieces for such a build. I have ridden in a Series 2 and it was a somewhat tight fit for me even when I was 16.... and I am not a big-boned individual lol

Also thanks for that link to the other forum I think it will be a valuable resource for builders on here.

Can't we all just get along and build some fun toys :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 3, 2011, 2:00 am 

Brian,

You hit the bulls right in the eye.

If I wanted a light nimble car just for the track I would just love to build to original spec.

I would also want a bike engine or a Duratec for that matter.

From a Fat guy that's building a Fat car if I followed Moti's rules it's a wonder I am even reading the Caterham post to begin with isn't it?

Great ideas come from any one of us here is why I read everything and try not to be too course.

Does anyone have any picture of a Caterham frame?

If we had a picture and one reference point measurement we could almost figure out all the deminsions.

Anyone have pictures guys??????

Mark.

PostPosted: April 3, 2011, 10:23 am 
The voice of reason

Spend some time searching. I know we have some frame pictures.

PostPosted: April 3, 2011, 10:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo-
I don't have any Caterham frame pictures that would show dimensions. I do have this one, supposed to be original spec's for a Lotus 7.
Attachment:
Lotus7Dimensions.gif
(Note the front camber!)
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 3, 2011, 12:02 pm 

Gyrofli wrote:
If we had a picture and one reference point measurement we could almost figure out all the dimensions.

Previously in this thread, SkinnyG wrote:
There is also a forum more dedicated to "true" 7 replicas: http://www.diyse7ens.com/forums/index.php

I am building a dimensionally "true" replica, using the drawings from the diyse7ens site (using a Duratec but NEITHER Triumph uprights NOR Ital axle).

PostPosted: April 4, 2011, 12:59 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Sorry I'm showing up late to this party. Glad to see everyone's pretty well piped down. Any further inflammatory remarks will be deleted. In fact, if I get any more poopie in my diaper, I might just go back and delete all the trash talk in this thread.

Got it?

Build on,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: April 5, 2011, 11:39 pm 

A lot of oversized Sevens here for sure. I wanted to build a "book" frame and so I did. It has plenty of room
for my 6' 1 220 lb frame. I agree oversize cars are running rampant. I have a rather heavy motor and rear
axle. My car still tips the scales at 1350lbs with half a tank. Wouldn't be hard to drop 150 lbs with a different
motor and careful attention to weight. Done over, I might build a smaller car with a Nissan 1500 cc
A-series engine turboed with a five speed and live axle. Very short, light motor Perfect for a Eleven replica..

HMMMM...

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: April 6, 2011, 3:22 am 

dhempy,

Just wondering what's your favorite color. Green poopie or Yellow poopie?

I like the Green myself!

Marko.

PostPosted: April 6, 2011, 4:46 pm 

Well I guess this what Caterham thinks of the 442.... And I have to agree with them :cheers:

From April 1ST 2011...

Introduction of the new Caterham Seven Sports XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release

Introduction of the new Caterham Seven Sports XL

British sportscar maker, Caterham Cars, will introduce an exciting new model to its line-up on June 6, 2011 at the 2011 London Motor Expo in Canary Wharf, London. The latest addition to the renowned Caterham stable marks the beginning of a new dawn for the Company, one that extends the lineage of the sporting heritage of the legendary Seven and will expand its continuing global success.

The Caterham Seven Sports XL represents a broadening of Caterham's Seven range in a natural development for its United Kingdom, European and United States' markets. Taking the proven race-proven CSR chassis with its inboard front suspension, Caterham Cars has extended the cockpit length and width by four inches over the standard CSR chassis for enhanced cornering stability and passenger comfort. Like the CSR, the Seven Sports XL will leverage the craftsmanship of Arch Motors to assemble the new chassis. A radically new advanced air cushion rear suspension system has been developed and extensively tested for its smooth tracking under higher cornering and carrying loads.

Under the skin, the engineering is pure Caterham. Anticipating the needs of our new larger customer base, Caterham have teamed with BMW to fit the turbo diesel from the award-winning BMW 520d. With its 2.0-litre 16-valve turbo 4-cyclinder producing 184hp and 380nm at just 1900rpm this engine will have the torque to shift Caterham's largest car yet with fuel economy expected to be in excess of 45mpg. The race proven 2.3-litre Cosworth Ford Duratec engine remains as an exciting option, producing 260hp and a top speed of 130mph.

The classic 5-speed Ford T-9 gearbox makes a reappearance, with its characteristically low first gear and with new uprated BGH internals, to propel the sturdy 1000kg chassis from 0-60mph in under nine seconds. BMW will also supply a limited slip differential for improved cornering traction. For those customers requiring more comfort, a 4-speed automatic from BMW will be available for the first time by Caterham. A full weather kit means the Seven Sports XL is thoroughly enjoyable in any conditions.

Available options include the lowered floor for extra comfort in the cockpit for those taller than average drivers, a CSR-like integrated dash, uprated instrumentation, power steering, air conditioning, cup holders, and a new stylish leather interior in a range of fashion colors.

Caterham Cars Managing Director, Ansar Ali comments: "The Caterham Seven Sports XL will target a large segment of the market previously not accessible to Caterham. We are looking forward to gaining a sizable new customer segment. With Caterham's proven track ability, I am excited by the opportunity of the Seven Sports XL to showcase our race-winning technology and performance to a completely new market segment. The Seven Sports XL will be a winner in the huge US market. For the first time we will have a product suitable for the larger driver with all the comfort and luxury amenities demanded by the US market. In our dynamic new partnership with BMW, I am thrilled to be offering the highly advanced BMW turbo diesel and automatic transmission providing a level of smoothness, torque and environmental friendliness that Seven owners have only dreamed about to date. The ultra-low emissions BMW turbo diesel is integral to our goal of achieving significant sales growth in the California market."

For just £28,995, the Seven Sports XL combines Caterham’s thrilling performance and driving experience with a unique spaciousness and comfort not experienced by any other Caterham driver before.

PostPosted: April 6, 2011, 4:56 pm 

April 1st was 5 days ago...

PostPosted: April 6, 2011, 7:51 pm 

Tom17 wrote:

I hope that's what it was, an April fools joke; I mean a fat 7 with cup holders :ack:

Ron

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 2:23 pm 

sevenesqueron wrote:
Tom17 wrote:

I hope that's what it was, an April fools joke; I mean a fat 7 with cup holders :ack:

Ron

Who doesn't want cupholders, for a street car? :ack:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next