LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 4:12 pm 

98 gt wrote:
but im not fat... im big boned

Is that the 11 gauge stuff? :)

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 4:36 pm 

Hi Josh,

Back to your original questions, there are in fact several members here on Locost USA designing and building cars with similar dimensions to a Lotus/Caterham versus a Locost and its variants (i.e. McSorley, Haynes Roadster). One of the main differences other than overall size (a "book" Locost is about 3" wider than a Caterham S3 and about 1" narrower than a Caterham SV: a "book" Locost is about 4.75" longer in wheelbase than a Caterham S3 and about 1.5" longer than a Caterham SV) is styling. Lotuses (Loti?) and Caterhams have a longer bonnet which pushes the scuttle further rearward. Also, the tubes along the cockpit are angled downward to the rear versus horizontal. Finally, the upper and lower side tubes at the rear are curved and not straight. I personally prefer the lines of a Caterham over those of a Locost, but hey that's just me.

In my case I am using the Caterham SV size chassis for inspiration over the S3, not because I need the extra space in the cockpit (I am 5'-7" and only need to lose 5-10 pounds according to my "honest" mirror :wink: ), but rather to fit my not so svelte Miata 1.8, its transmission and perhaps one day a Garret GT2560R turbo I have my eye on. This insight is based primarily on the experience of Skip Cannon who shoehorned a Miata 1.8 turbo into a Caterham SV as documented here http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm.

I also purchased a nose cone from Caterham along with a couple of rear fenders (with no questions asked on the part of Caterham other than what my credit card number was). They were about twice the price of equivalent Locost bits available here in the USA.

As mentioned by OzGecko above, making an exact copy of a Caterham chassis will lead to some expensive consequences. The Caterham uses a modified version of Triumph uprights at the front. On IRS cars, they use a Sierra differential and custom machined aluminum uprights. All of this can be sourced from the UK for a price of course. If you went with a DeDion rear, you could modify a live axle to work around the Caterham's pick-up points.

If you are interested, my build log (more of a design log at this point) is here http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8885. If you could in fact pull some dimensions off of the Caterhams in your town, I would be very interested.

Finally, I hope I don't get lambasted by an Admin for using a 300 pound car engine and not being fanatical about what my, repeat my, car ends up weighing....

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 4:38 pm 
We are Slotus!

Steve-
Good answer! Thanks...

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 4:57 pm 

Blackbird wrote:
Really?
You're gonna go with that as your arguement? :roll:
Moti

My point was that you're adding features that the original car did not have, which is all that anyone else is doing with their 11 gauge tubing, or V8s, or roofs, or wide tires, etc. I'm sure nobody is judging your build and telling you that you're an idiot for putting in a cage, so what gives you the right to do the same back to them.

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 5:34 pm 
Toyotaphobe

98 gt wrote:
but im not fat... im big boned

And so's my car!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 5:47 pm 
Weight watcher

skou wrote:
Finally, I hope I don't get lambasted by an Admin for using a 300 pound car engine and not being fanatical about what my, repeat my, car ends up weighing....

I've actually requested to be removed from the administration of the forum not too long ago, so feel free to fire away at will :lol:
Interestingly, non of the mods or admins of the site ever practiced their editorial abilities in hot debates to censor any users, so if you point was that any admin or mod would use that power it seems to have very limited validation.

As for the rest of your message, you cover the differences quite nicely.
The IRS Caterham diff can be had in the US (Merkur), no need to get it from the UK.

Firebat, you managed to miss the fact that my car is built for a rule set.
Don't put words in my keyboard, I didn't call anyone an idiot.
I said the cars are heavy, which is again, just my opinion.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 6:06 pm 

Thanks for the good information guys!

So you can't use a Miata donor if you want it to turn out like a Caterham? I want to keep the IRS.

So the rear suspension can be had in the US from Merkur (XR4?), what else can be had in the US? Or should I ask what can't be had in the US since there is some conflicting info.

Are the Duratec motors they use smaller than the Miata 1.6?

Keep it coming!

Joshua

P.S. This is a kit car based on a car designed and built by Colin Chapman, of course it's supposed to be small and light! :BH:

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 6:12 pm 

its not necessarily a kit car... its a variation of an older car and this one happens to be a one off

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 6:13 pm 

Man, and I thought thought all my previous comments about all the "plus, plus" sized cars might hurt someones feelings :D

But I gotta say, those that embrace the Chapman concept for the original car do have difficulty relating to some of the monsters that still call themselves Sevens.

Why look for original Caterham specs? Do what a couple of builders have done, and what I would have done if I'd known the differences between book 7s and a real Lotus 7, and build as close to the original specs as possible. Look at postings by SkinnyG. That'll give you a much better idea of differences between a book 7 and a real one.

OK, I'm going to duck now and let all the flying daggers go towards Moti :boxing:

:D Ron

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 6:14 pm 
Weight watcher

Sure you can use miata donor, it's a popular choice because it makes sense in the US being a relatively small and light car.
Quite a few builders (myself included) use a tubular replication of the miata IRS, main difference being the methods of adjusting the suspension.

The weight of the motor is only one parameter in designing and building the car, I don't recall actual weight but I believe the duratec was slightly bigger and heavier than the B6/BP.
It is a however a motor that can make considerable amount of power in NA form with mods.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 7:24 pm 

killerkane wrote:
has anyone built a Caterham scale car?

Rod has (cs3tcr): http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... =36&t=3137

There is also a forum more dedicated to "true" 7 replicas: http://www.diyse7ens.com/forums/index.php

I am building a dimensionally "true" replica, using the drawings from the diyse7ens site (using a Duratec but NEITHER Triumph uprights NOR Ital axle).

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 7:35 pm 

My Leitch is also a dimensional copy of the Lotus S3 with the exception of the nose being one inch higher. If I can be of any help with measurements etc, please let me know. Mine doesn't have an independent rear though, Corolla GTS solid rear axle. By the way, it is 15 1/2 inches between the tunnel and the inside of the outer frame tubes. Tight but firm. :lol:
:cheers:

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 9:13 pm 

I'm just a tiny bit fat :oops:

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 9:46 pm 

being fat is like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't... in my case im just a tiny bit pregnant...er.. uh, i mean fat

PostPosted: March 31, 2011, 9:54 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Blackbird wrote:
...I've actually requested to be removed from the administration of the forum not too long ago, so feel free to fire away at will...

"I'm going now! Here I go! Don't try to stop me! You'll see, I'll really do it! I mean it, you'll be sorry!"

No need for the contrived drama, if you don't want to be here any longer, just go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next