LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 14 guage instead of 16?
PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 5:15 pm 

It seems that 16 ga. square tubing is scarce around here unless one is willing to buy a whole bundle, and I'm not. I did the math and it looks like 14 guage (this area is crawling with the stuff) would increase the weight of the entire frame by about 20 pounds over 16 guage. This being my first locost, I could probably live with that much weight in the frame, if it doesn't cause other problems.

For instance, will the extra rigidity cause trouble like overstressing welds, or something else that a non-engineer like me would fail to foresee?

I'll bite the bullet and have the 16 shipped if I have too, but the price difference would be considerable. Thanks

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 5:22 pm 

14 gauge steel is 25% thicker than the 16 gauge stuff. You can easily use the 14 gauge and probably never know the difference in the end product. Any drilled holes will take 25% longer to drill (and there are a lot of rivet holes to drill, and all cutting (200+ cuts reported) will take longer too. It really comes down to your choice IMO.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 6:00 pm 

I built my frame out of 14 gauge and i did not have any difficulties. In fact i preferred 14 gauge because it is less likely to dent or deform and i also had 0 warpage and liked the idea of the slightly higher strength. I also liked the idea that it was much cheaper. I found it at a local surplus steel supplier and i only payed 9 dollars for a 22 ft length of 14 gauge as opposed to the 20 dollars for a 22 ft length of 16 gauge from the same place.

PostPosted: April 11, 2012, 7:35 pm 

My buggy's plans called for 1.25" OD .095" wall tube, but I had over 100 feet of 1.315" OD .133" wall pipe. I also had the bending die for the 1.315" and not the 1.25". It's quite a bit heavier, but I had it on hand and used it instead. I did the same thing on my 1.25" square tube. Instead of .065" I had a bunch of .120" wall and used it. More drilling and sawing involved, but I'm not building a race car. It's going to be a fun toy that I built myself. It saved me a few hundred dollars not having to source more tubing.