LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aluminum Frame?
PostPosted: December 6, 2011, 6:31 am 

Hi Tom. I live just north of Shannonville. Whereabouts are you located?

PostPosted: December 6, 2011, 8:35 am 

Far, i'm in Whitby. Haven't been up that way yet, been meaning to do a track day for a while...

PostPosted: December 6, 2011, 10:15 am 
Always Moore!

horizenjob wrote:
This same issue shows up in a locost frame. An advantage for aluminum is that you could use a larger diameter tube which is longer and not worry about the buckling. I see this in the frame I am designing. There are places where a tube could be more then 50 times as long as it's diamter, which is much too slender. So more bays are needed to avoid this and it adds weight.

I don't think it's true that aluminum frame has no advantage, but an aluminum copy of a steel frame would have less advantage.

I think that fabric planes use steel frames because, in general, they were designed before good aluminum was available. WWII is when that started happening. I don't think 6061 was available until the mid 50's. For most people the idea of a plane made from aluminum monocoque was more attractive then a fabric plane. So in a way that's a more appropriate use of the material, Understanding the appropriate use is really a major key to a successful design.

I still think the main point to take away from it is one structure had a strength requirement and stiffness came second and on a car chassis typically stiffness comes first. A strong but light material is desirable for the first but the stiffness per given mass of material is desirable for the second (ironically both steel and aluminum fit this bill).

I did some quick numbers for Euler's buckling and a 1"x0.065" square tube commonly found on a Locost would have to be between 65" and 70" long and unsupported for buckling to be a concern. I don't recall seeing any unsupported lengths that long on your design (I thought you were going with larger diameter stuff anyways?) It still seems easier to add a diagonal or two rather than completely change the entire chassis material.

To keep the same theoretical bucking properties with aluminum versus steel, the aluminum tube's second moment of area would have to be three times that of the steel tube which isn't hard to do since everything is to the 4th power but its axial stiffness will still only be a little over half that of steel.

This is the kind of stuff I was referring to when I said:
Quote:
there is more to it then welding some aluminum tubes together.
Its doable but it takes work to do it right and the builder would have to decided at what point have they reach diminishing returns for their efforts.

PostPosted: December 6, 2011, 1:16 pm 

Frankly speaking, it would be dumb to use aluminum and not use it to it's advantage... meaning some sort of folded sheet monocoque.. welded space frame without heat treat ain't it's forte..
Truth be told, there are some alloys that recover to a very high strength after welding (7005 IIRC), but those were very expensive last time I checked...

day job: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v723/turbolimac/portfolio/

PostPosted: December 8, 2011, 6:56 am 

cheapracer wrote:
Wayne,

I have the offer to do all my chassis in aluminium but the Pleb's fear factor put a stop to that,

There you go Wayne, even in a forum like this with generally smarter, hands on people you see some of the indifference's and arguments over aluminium chassis. I did a test post at another forum about it some time ago and you would have thought I had clubbed baby seals such were some of the responses... :lol:

PostPosted: December 8, 2011, 10:47 am 

link, please.. .:)

day job: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v723/turbolimac/portfolio/

PostPosted: December 9, 2011, 2:39 pm 

Once again thanks for all the responses and answers. I talked to the purchasing agent here at the shop where I work and she gave me a price of $0.60/lb for 1" X 1" X .083" Mild Steel HSS that was over stock on another job, this is in comparison to $2.30/lb. for the Aluminum. On the one hand I would like to do something a little different, but on the other hand (this would be the Dutch, ie: "cheap" side of me) I can't argue with the economics of Mild Steel. Sorry to ask stupid questions as this turned out to be simply an intellectual discussion. Now to find a donor car and find a place to store the motorbikes and ATV's!

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 2:11 am 

kikiturbo wrote:
link, please.. .:)

Pass - I do not promote that forum in any way now.

I may grab some of the quotes later.

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 2:37 pm 

wvandyk wrote:
this would be the Dutch, ie: "cheap" side of me....

and I suspect you are an ex South African - Wayne Van Wyk is as Afrikaans as boerewors :wink:
BTW, Im not going into the argument for and against ally, but can leave you with this thought.

Quote:
Every one laughed at him because he is different....but he laughed at them because they are all the same

Webpage: http://5psi.net
Build Diary: http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1530

PostPosted: February 21, 2012, 9:37 pm 

Gah, just had someone offer me enough fresh aluminum that now I am tempted to jump ship....

PostPosted: February 21, 2012, 10:11 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

cheapracer wrote:
... There you go Wayne, even in a forum like this with generally smarter, hands on people you see some of the indifference's and arguments over aluminium chassis....

I think it's that many of us know what we don't know, and stay out of it. As for the "why not" aspect, some of us are - okay, I'm - tired of writing long posts detailing the reasons, and simply recommend using the Search button.

PostPosted: February 22, 2012, 2:34 pm 

Well folks, guess what - there's been a turn of events and as of tomorrow, dies will be made to extrude one of the 3 required sizes (they already have 2 other suitable sized dies) to build my chassis from aluminium.

They (being friends of mine who own an aluminium extrusion/fabrication company as well as an electric vehicle company) are going to make a couple of my chassis under my direction, one for themselves to make an electric version and one for me to consider for my car (I may not use it).

The difference with mine to a Locost is the tube size is vastly different with 3" x 0.080" main spars (chosen for aesthetics) that are about 3500% stronger than 1" x 0.065" box and the rest mostly 1.6" x 0.080" box, again being considerably stronger at 500%.

Will keep ya's informed, the dies will take a week to make ......

PostPosted: February 22, 2012, 2:40 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I think it's that many of us know what we don't know, and stay out of it.

It's just engineering hand in hand with logic and experience to suit as with any field.

I'm not building a F1 racer so practical "over-engineering" and "over-sizing" will apply in abundance.

PostPosted: February 23, 2012, 6:53 am 

cheapracer wrote:
The difference with mine to a Locost is the tube size is vastly different with 3" x 0.080" main spars (chosen for aesthetics) that are about 3500% stronger than 1" x 0.065" box and the rest mostly 1.6" x 0.080" box, again being considerably stronger at 500%.

Just to clear up a misunderstanding, the stated sizes above are my current steel frame, the aluminium will be 3" x 0.140" and the rest 1.6" x 0.140" (76mm x 3.5mm and 40mm x 3.5mm).

PostPosted: February 23, 2012, 10:44 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Grumpy wrote:
Quote:
Every one laughed at him because he is different....but he laughed at them because they are all the same

I once had a builder get upset because I told him his suspension design was unsafe, and he said I was "thinking inside the box." Yes I was, but that box was pretty big and had a name, "physics." He later crashed his car due to poor camber control...

Your quote - while relevent to human nature - doesn't work when applied the physical properties of materials. Once the properties, cost, and ease of manufacturing are rolled in, being "all the same" makes perfect sense because material fundimentals are a constant. A builder "could" make a chassis from copper, lead, or sodium tubing and that quote would apply just the same. Just sayin'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next