LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 7:03 am 

Track width = center of wheel to center of wheel? or wheel hub to wheel hub?

I have been going by hub to hub on my posts and of my design.

Then was using over all width to the widest point of either the body or outside of the tires which ever is greater.

I figured track width would be to the hubs as if you change to offset of the wheel, then your track width would change.

1927 Roadster - custom build
1932 Ford, full one off custom build
2008 Corvette Z06
2009 Mustang GT500
2010 Nissan GTR

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 7:52 am 
We are Slotus!

RebecaLynn wrote:

Then was using over all width to the widest point of either the body or outside of the tires which ever is greater.

I figured track width would be to the hubs as if you change to offset of the wheel, then your track width would change.

I believe the manufacturers and magazines measure it from center of wheel to center of wheel, but they're measuring a completed car. From a "drawing" or "designing" standpoint, any of the ways you suggest will work, as long as you're consistent. However, your last statement is true, in that effective track width changes with the wheel/tire package. I'd suggest picking a wheel/tire combo early on in your design and using that set-up to measure track width. Note that you can use different wheel offsets front/rear to achieve same effective track with different "hub widths".

Totally confused now? Good, my work here is finished...
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 8:37 am 

Yeah, What he said. (x2) Except I'll add that track width should (I think) be measured as the center of the contact patch on the ground, not at the tire or wheel's center, which is kind of difficult to measure. So (again, I think. I sure wish I didn't think too much!) adjustments in camber will affect the actual track width slightly. When measuring track width on a finished Locost, I find it easier to measure inside tire to ouside of the opposite tire at the top of the wheel; to negate toe-in's effect, and I ignore the camber just because. I know I'll get a slightly smaller measurement, but I'm not building a rocket to the moon.

When you communicate with others though, use the correct terminology for what you want to convey. Track width or hub face-to-hub face, just so we give you the right answers.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 9:16 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
RebecaLynn wrote:

I believe the manufacturers and magazines measure it from center of wheel to center of wheel, but they're measuring a completed car. From a "drawing" or "designing" standpoint, any of the ways you suggest will work, as long as you're consistent. However, your last statement is true, in that effective track width changes with the wheel/tire package. I'd suggest picking a wheel/tire combo early on in your design and using that set-up to measure track width. Note that you can use different wheel offsets front/rear to achieve same effective track with different "hub widths".

Totally confused now? Good, my work here is finished...
JD Kemp

I agree with you. It's not rocket science. I would think that measuring at ground level would be the best, but at the top would be just fine.