LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: December 9, 2012, 1:47 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
if it turns out to be an ideal way to go.

What would be ideal about going this way? I think it's good to ask the question from that direction too. I think it would be educational, perhaps you could talk your way into a better job after you show someone the possibly multi thousands of hours you would put into Solidworks models. What else will you get from this? Every project has risks, including that you will not come in on budget and on time.

This is not just 10 times the effort. On top of that it's hard to do fiberglass work singlehanded.

Then when you have this built, if you want to drive it on a track in anything but the most casual manor, you will be required to install a steel tube roll cage. Then where are you?

I'd like to see you do your project in a way that would provide more benefit to more of our members. I think I remember you have made good comments in some of our mid-engine discussions. Blazing a trail that other people follow is a big reward, Blazing a trail with a bunch of people standing around saying, "whoa, look at that fireball! :shock: " - not so much. :rotfl:

Making that chassis looks kind of similar to what you have to do to make molds for an engine block or cyllinder head... It's interesting stuff.

Ideal is obviously subjective depending on the person and I have admitted I am not the typical locost builder but I'm not trying to build the most expensive thing ever either haha. If I can make a CF tub with the same stiffness that weighs 100lbs vs 200lbs, that is significant weight savings. Additionally, if I do a tubular space frame I'd almost for sure do laser cutting (just my preference) so that would be an added cost to the space frame and could make the actual costs of doing each more equal. If material cost is nearly equal, I'd have to think the time spent laying/curing the CF would be comparable to the time spent welding the frame.

I somewhat like the idea of spending more time making a mold that can then be laid up and make multiples if needed, but I could also spend time making a jig and if I laser cut tubes just fit them together and have mostly finish welding to do. The other thing is it's not like I'll avoid having to do a lot of composite work if I don't do a semi or full monocoque because the body will require way more molds and fiberglassing that an actual chassis would IMO. The difference is obviously being that one is structural in nature and the others are not which is a large detail. :)

Again, I could consider aluminum as a compromise depending on cost.

I think anything I attempt will benefit the forum because they can either learn from my mistakes or maybe we discover an easier way to do composites that opens it up to people who had never considered it previously.

If I were a reasonable person I'd do a steel chassis first, verify performance then maybe try and improve on it later. The issue with that is if I ever built something that another person may want as well, I want all my initial time and effort to go into something used over the long term. To a certain extent I think the RCR SL-C somewhat set a new standard on the kit car market with the aluminum chassis over the Ultima GTR's steel frame, so part of me both wants a challenge to do something other than steel, in addition to somewhat staying "ahead of the curve" if that makes sense.

Either way it will be a long process and nothing is set in stone. I have my suspension components chosen to design the frame around now, just need to spend some time working on getting those dimensions down first.

Ben

PostPosted: December 9, 2012, 5:15 pm 

i will try and remember to ask my son how they would mold the tub shown, he used to build tubs for ALMS and F1 cars so he would know, alas, i don't speak to him regularly and he is several thousand miles away on another continent.

talking to him in the past, they may not make them as a single piece but in sections and glue them together.

but we in it shall be remembered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6