LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 5, 2020, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FFR copy cat
PostPosted: February 13, 2014, 7:14 am 

I admire the engineering of the factory five 33 frame so i decided to copy the features I liked into a locost car.

[imghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xzCsLZSNvoU/UmuoRGt4_8I/AAAAAAAAaH8/nIFjxfmuB1A/w1116-h564-no/Part1.jpg][/img]

Not sure yet If I plan on copying the front end or not. I would like to use sn95 spindles with ffr adapters which I have but the Steering axis inclination is 20 degrees with the adapters. Im open to any front suspension ideas anyone might have. Keep in mind I would like to keep it open wheeled and maybe inboard coilovers.

Post subject: Re: FFR copy cat
PostPosted: February 13, 2014, 9:02 am 

jydog wrote:
I admire the engineering of the factory five 33 frame so i decided to copy the features I liked into a Locost car.

You're too late, Locosts have had their front suspension arms collapsing years before the FF33's did :lol:

Internet Warning: Anything resembling serious posting you be ignored, if pain persists consult a Doctor.

PostPosted: February 13, 2014, 10:37 pm 

There's definitely some good ideas in there...It will be interesting to see this progress. :cheers:

Also follow my build on blogspot, tumblr, or instagram and twitter (GarageOdyssey)

PostPosted: February 14, 2014, 9:13 am 

Quote:
jydog wrote:

I admire the engineering of the factory five 33 frame so i decided to copy the features I liked into a Locost car.

Cheapracer wrote:

You're too late, Locosts have had their front suspension arms collapsing years before the FF33's did

So Cheap, are you saying Factory Five admired the engineering of Ron Champion's frame so they decided to copy Ron?

It is not a mistake, it is a feature. It protects the chassis! :oops:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: February 14, 2014, 2:53 pm 

I would say Factory five got a lot of their great ideas from locost development and put them in one nice package.

PostPosted: February 15, 2014, 1:33 pm 

jydog wrote:
. . . <SNIP> . . .

Not sure yet If I plan on copying the front end or not. I would like to use sn95 spindles with ffr adapters which I have but the Steering axis inclination is 20 degrees with the adapters. Im open to any front suspension ideas anyone might have. Keep in mind I would like to keep it open wheeled and maybe inboard coilovers.

There are two alternative ways of using the SN95 spindles that I know of besides making your own adapter: 1) SAI (Static Axis Inclination - e.g. kinkpin angle) kit for the FF Cobras; or 2) the new adapter FF has developed, which incorporates many of the SAI kit changes I am told.

I'm using the SAI kit on my '94 SN95 spindles. You can check out my build log (in signature) and find photos of the kit, the spindles with the kit mounted and the spindles inside 15" and 17" rims. The former are not recommended due to actual or potential interference under high cornering loads (depends on backspacing). The name and address of the supplier in NC, USA is given in my log. You don't need the whole kit as some parts are only necessary on FF Cobras. You need the adapters, bolts and washers only.

The SAI kit angle is about 9.5°, which is fairly decent. I have only read that FF now has it's own kit, but have no specific information on it. Try their website. It's pretty good as far as part info goes.

Cheers

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 15, 2014, 8:45 pm 

Lonnie-s, well I might have jumped the gun. The KPI was 20 degrees with FFR cobra adapters I bought after measuring them .
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/63-brake-suspension-tech/404402-sai-factory-adapters.html

I was told you want to keep it around 7-9 degrees. So I was browsing ebay and came across these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161217296310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I saw the success that Rod's Locost 5.0 had with them and thought I would give it a try. The good thing about the FFR adapters though was that it put the scrub radius
about 0 with a 25.5 diameter tire.

Im going right now to check out your build. Thanks

PostPosted: February 16, 2014, 2:31 am 

jydog wrote:
I would say Factory five got a lot of their great ideas from locost development and put them in one nice package.

You would be surprised who reads these forums and a number of top level race car designers get themselves to club race days often to see what new tricky stuff individuals have come up with.

PostPosted: February 18, 2014, 7:28 pm 

A little more progress on the rear

What I would like it to end up looking like. Don't know if I have the skills to take it there but Im going to give it a shot.

PostPosted: February 18, 2014, 7:43 pm 

Not to shatter dreams, but I think those headlights are too low to the ground for any state plus any sort of gravel or road debris and you'd be replacing them.

That is a pretty slick rendering though; do you have a view of the back?

PostPosted: February 18, 2014, 7:56 pm 

A worthy goal. I see the similar FF '33 coupe at the autocross events during the Del Mar Nationals. I's a very interesting concept and I like it myself. You can always buy the bodywork from them and fit it to your chassis.

Of course, if you have BIG-$$$, you can get a brand new '34, 3-window body in steel now days too. Ford just announced the "official" re-release of the '32 5-window body parts through a third party supplier. Can the '34 be far behind?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 19, 2014, 12:18 pm 

well Mr.Dog,

it just so happens that i have a 34 glass body in my shop at this time, it has doors, a trunk lid and a rear roll pan, there is no floor in it but most of the fire wall is there.

i intended to fab up a chassis for it similar to the factory five chassis and use an 89 crown vic as a donor when i can pry it out of the owners hands for the right money, like under $400.00.

i will be watching with interest.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 19, 2014, 2:28 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
A worthy goal. I see the similar FF '33 coupe at the autocross events during the Del Mar Nationals. I's a very interesting concept and I like it myself. You can always buy the bodywork from them and fit it to your chassis.

Of course, if you have BIG-$$$, you can get a brand new '34, 3-window body in steel now days too. Ford just announced the "official" re-release of the '32 5-window body parts through a third party supplier. Can the '34 be far behind?

Cheers,

A steel '33/'34 3W coupe had been available for a couple of years from Steves Auto Restoration. They no longer offer it, not enough takers I think. You can buy all the separate panels from them though, just not assembled. I'm glad I stepped up and bought my '33 5W when I did couldn't afford to now!
Cheers,
Stewart.

PostPosted: February 25, 2014, 7:20 am 

I'll tell you what got all of this started. I bought a 34 ford truck off of http://www.jalopyjournal.com and started building a ladder frame for it and realized that I don't like strictly traditional. I wanted a modern chassis. Space frame and modern running gear with the looks of a traditional hot rod. I've got a vin etc from my other build so this one is going to have to resemble a 34 and will have to include some real 34 parts to make it legit. Haven't figured how im going to do that yet. I did pick up some wilwood pro spindles and some cobra pbr brakes and rotors this past week. Maybe a real 34 firewall would be a good idea.

What do you guy's think of using this for a tank?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Gallon-RCI-Fuel-Cell-Gas-Tank-Alum-Heavy-Duty-Street-Racing-NEW-RCI-2172A-/291085178183?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c6075547&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: February 27, 2014, 10:02 pm 

or maybe this. B17 bomber oxygen tank.