LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chassis Paint Prep
PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 9:14 am 

Is there a way to prep the chassis for paint without blasting it? Some of the metal has a really thick factory coating.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

Post subject: Re: Chassis Paint Prep
PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 3:32 pm 

I've been using these on mill scale as I go:

They work great, but it's won't be fun to do on a completed chassis.

PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 5:51 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo-
Perhaps there's some perfectly good reason why you don't want to sandblast it... But, lemme say that the local guy here charged me $180 bucks to sandblast and primer my frame. Not a bad deal, I thought. IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 9:16 pm 

there is an added benefit to sand blasting, it tends to stress relieve the chassis.

is it mill scale you are trying to remove, if so get some Ospho from true value or any home depot, and scrub the chassis with it on a scotch brite.

use some heavy duty rubber gloves like you would use for hazardouse chemicals though as the normal latex gloves will fall apart.

it is good practice to degrease the chassis before using Ospho with mineral spirits.

the Ospho will etch the surface of the metal but if you wash it off with water, it will go rusty quickly so start the process with a degrease then Ospho, then wash any residue off and prime before it can rust.

if there is a slight surface rust before priming, use an etch primer, if you can get it.

the primer used is important, because if you intend to use any automotive finish, then you must use a primer that will not react.

i would personally use a good 2K primer from a local bodyshop supply house then it will stick like glue and you can paint anything over it.

i primed my "A" arms with it, flatted them off and used an airosol for the finish, the finish is comming off from stones chipping but the primer is still holding strong.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 15, 2014, 11:18 am 

Oh yeah i am totally not against media blasting. The cheapest quote I have received is $240 without primer so i am looking into something less expensive.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: April 15, 2014, 11:59 am 
Toyotaphobe

You can buy the equipment and media for a lot less than that. It's downright cheap and so's your time.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 15, 2014, 12:15 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
You can buy the equipment and media for a lot less than that. It's downright cheap and so's your time.

yeah but where does all that blasting media go? My yard? Wife would hate that and so would i since it would kill my grass. Additionally, the neighbors, which are several feet away would be po'ed too. I also don't have a compressor but that i can get

PostPosted: April 15, 2014, 12:37 pm 
Toyotaphobe

The blasting media is no biggie. I do it all the time in my grass and it doesn't hurt a thing.

If you use walnut shells they biodegrade. If you use sand then it just helps keep your soil from packing down. if you use glass beads there's simply not enough in any one area to hurt a thing.

No matter the media you use it doesn't spread very far. It's not like you'd be soda blasting. I soda blasted my kitchen cabinets before repainting and even that wasn't a huge mess and a spritz with water takes care of that.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.