LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 9, 2016, 1:56 pm 

I'm not disagreeing 8). I'm ultimately just talking academically here, we only have past crashes to look at and when we vary the design we can only guess at what it does to the results.

I personally like the idea and look of a spare mounted on the back. It distributes the forces from a minivan bumper to a much broader area of the backend.

PostPosted: January 9, 2016, 2:59 pm 

If I were concerned about this, and I'm not, I would build a heavy steel frame surrounding the fuel tank and leave the book chassis alone. I would either use an available racing fuel tank with a fuel bladder, or have a custom bladder made. Then fill it with the foam blocks as done on racers. In the case of a track-only vehicle I would place the fuel tank in the passenger seat location and enclose it according to the rules.

I am not concerned about this myself because I make no pretentions that the Locost is a safe vehicle in any aspect. I take my chances every time I drive mine and try to drive accordingly. I do think it is equal to, or slightly more safe than a motorcycle with no rear impact protection and the fuel tank between my legs. Strange that I should feel this way since I have been rear-ended soooo many times in my DD's. But that is how I feel. You don't need to share the same feelings.

Think carefully as to where the forces would be distributed in the event of a rear end collision, so that you would not get speared in the back with tubes. And consider you might not just get hit straight on Diagonal tubes to the outside rails would be my first thought. The addition of a spare tire is a good addition for a bit more protection IMO.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 9, 2016, 3:07 pm 

I really appreciate all the input, guys. Chuck, thanks for chiming in. I got this next idea from you and your car.

One addition that I do have planned is a 1 1/4" hitch receiver at the back of the car. It will serve multiple functions. I can tow a small trailer to supplement the 7's cavernous 'Boot', or it can hold a small luggage rack for the same purpose, or it can be fitted with a spare tire mount! I suppose if the small trailer or luggage rack were loaded with 'crash foam' luggage, that would give a pretty fair amount of "crumple zone"

Just thinkin' out loud. Again, thanks for the input!!! :thmbsup: