LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 19, 2016, 9:34 pm 

Just a thought, for the rear axle, you could always add wheel spacers. Also balance your decisions with your planned fender width. A mistake of 1/2 inch may require you to widen whatever fender you are thinking about. It all interacts. Always plan 10 steps ahead.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 12:56 pm 

While searching for a donor I came across a running, with 5 speed, engine I am seriously considering just to be different. It is a 4 cylinder diesel. I could add a turbo and boost the power. Would be something very different from the norm. And the price isn't half bad either at $1,000 asking. I bet I could get it for under $750. It is sitting on a run in stand and I can hear it run.

I think I need to get the frame built first then get some rear end measurements to see what will be as close to drop in as possible. I am really leaning towards a Tbird IRS again not that I have seen some others use it for similar builds.

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 2:22 pm 

There's no reason a diesel wouldn't work...it has been done, and it worked extremely well, by all accounts. Weight would be the main factor, as diesels are generally heavy, but the torque would be impressive, even from a 4 cylinder, in a car as small & light as a Locost.

I can't speak to the Tbird IRS, but there are other, lighter IRS units out there to consider as well. Personally, I find cruising around in a wrecking yard yields ideas - you may just find something that would be ideal. If you know how wide you want it (most Locost frames are around 42" wide), take a tape measure & browse around. That's how I did it...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 2:43 pm 

If you grab the diesel, you are probably going to want longer gears.. something that the tbird IRS may not be able to fully satisfy. Remember, diesels have short rev ranges, so unless you want a top speed of 65mph.. lol

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 3:26 pm 

What kind of car is the diesel in? Presumably, if it's in a road car, the trans probably is geared appropriately for highway use, so it would be important to match the rear end gearing with that of the original vehicle's diff. Knowing the original vehicle's specs, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what rear ends will work.

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 3:50 pm 

I cant think of a single RWD, 4 cyl diesel that ever made it to the US.. Going to have to assume its a VAG FWD motor. In which case, you could customize the trans/rear to your liking.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 5:03 pm 

Quote:
I cant think of a single RWD, 4 cyl diesel that ever made it to the US.

I'm sure some of the Japanese trucks did. I do know that the Chevette and the LUV were available with a RWD 4 cyl setup, probably some of the Isuzus wearing their own nameplate as well.

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 5:50 pm 

ok... I cant think of a single modern diesel... :lol:

oh god.. with the exception of the 2.8L CRD that mercedes built for the jeep liberty. just so happens to be one of the biggest turd sandwhich motors I've ever had the displeasure of deconstructing..

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 5:53 pm 

1055 wrote:
ok... I cant think of a single modern diesel... :lol:

oh god.. with the exception of the 2.8L CRD that mercedes built for the jeep liberty. just so happens to be one of the biggest turd sandwhich motors I've ever had the displeasure of deconstructing..

although.. they were available with a RWD trans, and made 160hp/295 ft lbs of torque.. it would definitely raise some eyebrows in a locost.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 6:07 pm 

What other IRS rear ends are easy to adapt? I would prefer as lightweight of a setup as possible but also easy to find.

I am not needing the IRS out of a Tbird but that seems like the easiest to get. I have friends who have posi units and gear sets we can swap out until I find the right setup too.

The seller said the diesel engine is out of an Izuzu pickup. Looks pretty small in the pictures. It does not have a turbo but adding one would be simple enough.

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 6:17 pm 

dolomite_supafly wrote:
What other IRS rear ends are easy to adapt? I would prefer as lightweight of a setup as possible but also easy to find.

I am not needing the IRS out of a Tbird but that seems like the easiest to get. I have friends who have posi units and gear sets we can swap out until I find the right setup too.

The seller said the diesel engine is out of an Izuzu pickup. Looks pretty small in the pictures. It does not have a turbo but adding one would be simple enough.

Isuzu non turbo engines are not very big HP producers. You may find it a tad on the tall side as well, I am pro diesel and there are much better choices out there for a power unit.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

http://westfield-world.com/pics_paulr.html

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 6:18 pm 

The rear axle out of that pickup would likely not be useful due to its bolt pattern (6 X 5.5"). While it's a common pattern (tons of domestic & imported vehicles use it), they're pretty much all full-size pickups or larger SUV's, so "heavy" will be likely.

To avoid hassles in buying wheels etc., I went with Ford 4-bolt front hubs (Mustang II, Pinto, etc.) and matching rear axle (7 1/2", IIRC). I didn't want the problems associated with differing bolt patterns front to rear.

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 6:36 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Besides the japanese trucks, the early 80s rangers also had 4 cylinder diesels but they are rare.
These days, there are several suppliers of adapters to fit refer unit carrier/kubota 2.2l 4 cylinders to ranger transmissions, but the low rev range of an engine designed to maintain a specific rpm can be annoying if the governor is not tweaked.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 6:56 pm 

Jack McCormack did a diesel Seven (if you haven't seen his build) that was, by all accounts, very successful. He used a 3-cylinder Kubota diesel engine, and ran it on biodiesel. Unfortunately, the car was crashed into at a stop sign (by a woman in an SUV, texting, IIRC), but it received rave reviews while it was intact!

I believe there's a build log on here, somewhere...

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 8:31 pm 

1055 isnt that 2.8 crd from vm motori which is fiat?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next