LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 30, 2024, 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 18, 2016, 1:54 pm 

For those wanting a S3 size frame for your Duratec 2.0 build.
The Caterham seven 165 uses the modern day version in that size.
Here is a good source for pictures of the frame.
http://www.0-100.it/speciale-salone-di-francoforte-2013-lo-stand-suzuki/
These show what can't be seen by looking at the Road Sport kit builds found online.

Ron

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 6:16 am 

You may also like this (a walk-around video of the same cutaway show car):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QhxGbsLURw

Interestingly (and without any fanfare or publicity), they've changed the traditional Lotus A-frame axle location to a Panhard rod with 4 trailing links, on this model.

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 8:02 am 

From an article published October 21, 2013,

Quote:
The Caterham Seven 160 and 165 are the next track weapons to come from Caterham Cars. And even though they won't come to the United States, we figured you'd like to know about what we're missing out on. Hey, you may travel to England one day and need a rental car, and not be able to find one, so you might pick up a cheapish new car to tour the countryside, leaving it behind when you come home. It could happen.

The entry-level Caterham uses a 660cc three-cylinder Suzuki engine for power -- we wondered where those guys went -- and will cost 14,995 British pounds, or $24,309 in American buckaroos.

Output of the Seven is rated at 80 hp, while top speed is pegged at 100 mph. That might not seem like much, but curb weight is only 1,080 pounds. The U.K. variant is named the Seven 160; the rest of Europe will get the Seven 165 (same car). The 0-60 sprint takes 6.5 seconds. Caterham says the new car “redefines the budget sports car segment while introducing new levels of efficiency and value for money to the Caterham range.”

The new Seven has a live rear axle, which the company says works well with the low curb weight and small engine. It also provides more intuitive handling and a “balanced yet playful chassis.”

Production of the Caterham Seven 160 and 165 begins in January; deliveries will start next spring.

The Caterham site http://int.caterhamcars.com/cars/seven-165

All the sites detailing the assembly of the kits show the De-Dion Suspension using the BMW differentials.
It is interesting to see how the inertial reel seat belts are mounted. Also one of the pictures shows what appears to be honeycombed aluminum used in the boot area. I'm wondering if the dropped floor option uses the honeycombed as well.

Ron

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 8:46 am 

Yes, it's now the last live axle Caterham, but previously all non-CSR Caterhams (whether live axle or de Dion) used two upper trailing arms and a lower a-frame for axle location (though the higher-powered variants also use a cobbled-on leading upper Watts link on either side to provide additional bracing of the outer ends of the axle against torque reaction).

The 160, as I said, is the first to use a more conventional 5-link location. I'm guessing it's because the Suzuki axle isn't strong enough to take the A-frame mounting in the centre of the diff., and they didn't want to get into the additional bracing that used to be necessary with the old Morris live axles.

Caterham have used honeycomb in the side panels for many years, now (allegedly for additional side impact protection), but as far as I am aware, the dropped floor remains single skin.

PostPosted: February 24, 2016, 10:52 am 

Sam,
I can see in this picture what you were saying about the seat pan being single thickness Aluminum.
Attachment:
FireShot Screen Capture #2606 - '[Build Thread] Caterham R400 Superlight' - www_s2kca_com_S2000_showthread_php_40258-Build-Thread-Caterham-R400-Superlight.jpg

Maybe .065?

Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.