LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 5:12 pm 

Hey everyone,

So I am putting this out here to see what kind of interest I get from it. The deal is, I run CNC machines from 3-axis vertical mills to lathes and have access to a waterjet and a laser cutter and I make parts for my little locost (which is awesome!!), so I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in having precision machined parts made for their locosts? All I need are part drawings and I can then put them into Solidworks and the rest is easy.

To give you some background, I was looking for intake flanges so I can redo the Miata's intake and people want an insane amount of money for things like that, so I said fine I'll do it myself. That is the goal here, I want to make sweet parts that fit in our "locost" budget so we can all get our cars on the road faster!

Below are some pictures of my latest part which is an adapter bracket to adapt an Energy Suspension GM Trans mount to the first gen miata transmission.

Again there is no limit to what we can build together, I look forward to hearing from you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 5:38 pm 

What part of the country are you in? Also, have you given any thought to what a minimum order might be for you? When I've spoken with shops in the past, their "setup" fees makes it uneconomic have the work done for a small number of parts.

Regards,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 5:42 pm 

Why does this kind of stuff come up way too late for me? Really could have used this about 6 years ago.

I could start over but I'm too old for that too!

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 5:54 pm 

Lonnie-s: I am located in North-East Tennessee, and you know I Haven't figured out why other companies charge so much for set-up changes, but for most of the stuff that we do on the locosts it can be done with regular tooling and vices that I already have access to. And to be completely honest this is a new idea for me and initally things like setup and converting to Solidworks is all just experience for me so as far as costs go, they would be minimal. For that trans adapter plate I have 10 minutes of real machining time and not much more in setup time.

What I am trying to do is give the locost builder at home that doesn't have access to cool tools like I do to make these gorgeous CNC'd parts, the opportunity to have them and stay in budget on their build. I am a college student who knows all to well about keeping this build within budget, that's why I started making my own parts! haha :lol:

benny-toe: If there is anthing else for improvements or anything like that let me know, I know I am always tinkering on my other "completed" project cars.

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 9:17 am 

I still wonder if there might be a market for the "locost in a box". Basically, someone cuts the tubes with a CNC machine, and hopefully labels them, marks the midway point in a couple of the transverse tubes, etc?

Haynes modified for Miata donor, maybe the Haynes modified for a solid rear axle, and some sort of 442 frame ought to cover the biggest bit of it?

If this is akin to my operation of a 1930's screw machine (trust me, I had hours to think up jokes on my running a screw machine) where setup takes 4-5 weeks, the obviously this isn't a winner. But if as the OP says that it only takes a small bit of time (akin to what I saw when I was the IT guy in a small-run hydraulic cylinder shop) then maybe it would be worth his while?

***** PLEASE for the love of GOD, PLEASE price the thing so you stay in business, I'd rather fork over an extra $100 and have you around than save money and never get what I ordered! *****

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 9:42 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-Altra-/281966934319?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a689f92f:g:6PkAAOSwr7ZW5588&item=281966934319

There's an atom-ish car in a box on ebay for $13k

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 10:45 am 

So you're a college student and 'run' CNC machines. Presumably then these are not your machines. Are these school machines that you have access to, or is this pet projects you're doing on the side using your employer's equipment? Is this type of for-hire (not just personal) 'extracurricular' usage ok'd by whoever does own the machines?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 11:28 am 

I have thrown around the idea of a locost in a box where all of the tube sections are indexed with tabs and slots so the kit is just a big erector set. And I would die if our setup times were 4-5 weeks, thankfully ours are only about an hour once we have the tooling and fixtures. And I like the idea of adapting the chassis to accommodate different engines and suspension designs because I know at least for me I was going to use a 2.3 liter turbo from a Thunderbird until I got the whole drive-train from a 1990 Miata for $400!

To answer your question Driven5, yes they are not my machines I am paying the owner for machine time after hours. He and I are very close, he is actually the one who is pushing me to try and start my own business doing the things that I love doing, which is working on and tinkering with cars. I took his stock 2014 Corvette and put an Edelbrock supercharger, Comp cam and a full Kooks exhaust on it to take it up to 585 rwhp. I am also building a 750 fwhp Ford 427 small block for my prerunner F150. And I am working on developing a twin-charge system for my Miata engine for the Locost.

Again thanks for the input guys!!

Alec

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 11:35 am 

Good luck with your project, Alec! :thmbsup:

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 2:17 pm 

Alec,

I would certainly be encouraging with respect to doing the CNC parts for Locosts. But, like Larry said (benny_toe), make sure there's some money in it for yourself too.

Mine is kind of a of a one-off. I do all my own design work. There are things I would do if I had a reasonable source for them. I don't now, so I design around things until I come up with something I can make with basic garage-tech tools. So, I am a potential customer for you, but it would be a onesie, twosie kind of thing.

What kinds of machines to you have access to? What kind of 2D and 3D files can you accept as input?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 4:03 pm 

Thanks Mike!

Lonnie, again thank you for the input I really appreciate it. And I absolutely understand what you guys are saying about my pricing model and how I need to keep my little business going but still delivering awesome products and service to you guys is just as important to me. (There's my Marketing major coming out) :lol:

I have access to Haas vertical machining centers; Haas small and large lathes; Mazak machines; a waterjet table; Mitsubishi laser cutter, and a vertical bending press. And I can take any 2D drawing an input it into Solidworks to or if you have Solidworks models then I can create cutting toolpaths straight off that. I assume that for most of the stuff that is done on the locosts, because mine is this way, there are a lot of little flat tabs and brackets which mine are just laser cut and bent at the shop. But again if there is anything you need machined I am more than happy to help you out!

Lonnie if you want me to look at a couple of those drawings just PM me and I will give you and email address.

As always thank you for the input and suggestions guys!!!

Alec

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 4:44 pm 

TooBusy wrote:

I never understood why someone would try and sell something for $13,000 with such crappy pictures. and only two of them! and not even an assembled vehicle picture!

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 8:28 pm 

I think the water jet would be a perfect application for the bolt on suspension tabs that Marcus (horizonjob) designed his Car9 chassis to use. I think there's 24 tabs that need to be made for that chassis, in sets of 4 or 8. They're just flat 1/8" steel plates with 3 holes in them.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 8:03 am 

1055 wrote:
TooBusy wrote:

I never understood why someone would try and sell something for $13,000 with such crappy pictures. and only two of them! and not even an assembled vehicle picture!

I agree. It's a pretty sad attempt

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 19, 2016, 11:11 am 

Yeah Marcus showed me those tabs a while back and yeah if they are just made out of 1/8th plate than yeah either the waterjet or the laset would be perfect for things like that, there would be no reaseon to throw those into a mill. I like the adjustability you could get from those tabs for dialing in the suspension, my car is going to be a track car for the most part so I like seeing little ways to fine tune like that. I guess this would be a question for Marcus and the Car9 guys but everything Ive learned says dont bolt through a square tube unless there is a bushing in it to support it, correct me if I am wrong. So for those suspension mounting tabs are they using a bushing to support the tube? Mine are welded on using a jig so I am curious as to how others are doing their suspension.

Its funny that this little At-om kit was brought up because soon I will be building an Ar-i-el At-om inspired exo-car but with either a rear mounted twin turbo LS engine or the new Voodoo engine when Ford decides to start selling it as a crate motor. This is a pet project that the guy who owns the machines has been wanting to do for a while after he saw some of the Pikes-Peak Hill climb cars. When it comes time to start designing it I'll keep you guys up to date probably with a build log!!

Alec