LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 10, 2024, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 6:45 am 
We are Slotus!

nick47 wrote:
You can pretty much build the whole frame without a donor, except for the transmission tunnel, which includes the middle two H tubes, the G tubes, and possibly even the O1-O3 tubes, depending on your rear axle. It's best to have the drivetrain in hand, including the rear axle, before adding the tunnel.
I'd second that notion. In my build, we put together the "exterior" of the frame, then the front suspension points with spindles and A-arms in hand to use as templates. Then I acquired the transmission and we used that as a template while we built the tunnell area and footbox, etc.

Yeah, get the seats you want to use, see if you fit in the space provided. Several folks in here wound up cutting/splicing seats they had so they'd fit in the frame. I don't know of anybody having butt reduction surgery, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities...

One hidden benefit of having a tight space for seating is that only skinny women can ride with you... Well, maybe that's a benefit... [Cue Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls"] :mrgreen:

Leave yourself room for installing motor mounts late in the build, unless you have an engine block lying around you can use.

Any-hoo... Don't paint yourself into a corner and you'll be fine.
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 29, 2016, 2:49 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
nick47 wrote:
You can pretty much build the whole frame without a donor, except for the transmission tunnel, which includes the middle two H tubes, the G tubes, and possibly even the O1-O3 tubes, depending on your rear axle. It's best to have the drivetrain in hand, including the rear axle, before adding the tunnel.
I'd second that notion. In my build, we put together the "exterior" of the frame, then the front suspension points with spindles and A-arms in hand to use as templates. Then I acquired the transmission and we used that as a template while we built the tunnell area and footbox, etc.

Yeah, get the seats you want to use, see if you fit in the space provided. Several folks in here wound up cutting/splicing seats they had so they'd fit in the frame. I don't know of anybody having butt reduction surgery, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities...

One hidden benefit of having a tight space for seating is that only skinny women can ride with you... Well, maybe that's a benefit... [Cue Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls"] :mrgreen:

Leave yourself room for installing motor mounts late in the build, unless you have an engine block lying around you can use.

Any-hoo... Don't paint yourself into a corner and you'll be fine.
:cheers:
JDK

Hah, I should see if I can find the picture of my car with a 6'8" 350lb passenger and post it again. And my car is a book frame. I'm not exactly small either, 6'2" and close to 300lbs. It was definitely snug in a book frame.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 29, 2016, 3:40 pm 

I intend to do the same thing with my build, I have a donor (1985 Toyota pickup) but it is my daily driver and needs to stay that way as long as possible.

PostPosted: October 3, 2016, 10:07 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
nick47 wrote:
[Cue Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls"] :mrgreen:

or something from Spinal Tap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E9PiPv718c :mrgreen: