LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 10:26 pm 

zetec7 wrote:

My buddy insisted my cooling system wasn't going to work, that I needed a remote pressurized expansion tank, a remote filler neck, see-through bleed-nipple adapter, dual chrome-lined reverse de-coupling framulators, cooling-inversion gespatcho-stimulator modules, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't understand. :shock:

Then, I pointed out that my radiator cap is already the highest point in my cooling system, so if it worked in the original Ford Focus with nothing more than an overflow bottle, it ought to work for me, too, right? See - I'm learning!

It's not so much the cap location, it's more about if there are any spots higher than the top hose inlet of the radiator (if the cap is on the radiator).

I believe that on many of the Locost builds the radiator inlet is not the highest point in the cooling system.

In these situations a surge tank or remote cap at the highest point. A few inches higher than the head.

I also feel it is important to eliminate all air from the cooling system if possible to stop foaming (aeration) and help limit corrosion.

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 12:40 am 

Absolutely! Any trapped air in the system can cause hot spots, boiling, and a bunch of other problems.

In my (our) case, though, the top of the rad & inlet hose is the highest point in the system, by several inches, so (in theory, at least) it should be relatively simple to purge all the air from the system. Of course, there's always another option - while filling & purging the system, jack up the front of the car 6"-8", to make the rad top the highest point by far!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 4:52 pm 

I burned two exhaust valves before finally adding a pressurized header tank to the firewall. Now any air in the system ends up in the tank instead of the cylinder head.

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 8:06 pm 

I do have a closed-system overflow tank plumbed in, so the system can add and subtract coolant as it requires. I'm hoping that's all it needs - 'course, that's all the Ford Focus (the engine's donor) had, and it worked, so...we'll see! If worst comes to worst, I can add a pressurized expansion tank later.

PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 4:59 pm 

It's been a long time ago, but I looked into galvanizing my frame before deciding to paint it. The shop I called said there could be no closed tubes and any that were closed would have to have a 1/2" hole drilled at each end. I decided to go with Por-15. The frame was getting a lot of surface rust after a couple of years in the making. I just went over it lightly by hand with about a 180 grit sand paper. What didn't get sanded off got painted over. That was over 10 years ago and the frame is basically still in good shape. By the way, this is the only car we have in the garage. If I were to do it over again, I would probably just spray the frame with Rustoleum. I've had great luck with the stuff on other projects.

PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 4:19 pm 

I'm a big fan of Rustoleum, either brushed on or thinned and sprayed with a gun. Rustoleum in spray cans, however, is junk IMO. Whatever they add to make it come out of those tiny nozzles keeps it from ever drying or sticking, regardless how much you prep.

PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 5:34 pm 

We get Rustoleum here in Canada, but Tremclad has always been the go-to rust paint. Funny - I searched Tremclad & Rustoleum, and discovered that they're the same company. Who knew?!

Going through various forums (fora?) on the 'net, I'm also seeing a lot of positive information on Krylon's Rust Protector paint. Supposedly, it results in a harder finish, dries faster, and has better rust-inhibitor performance than other similar paints.

Has anyone here tried it? If so, how is it holding up?

PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 11:19 pm 

I'm a big fan of Rustoleum. it goes on easily, whether brush, roller, spray( and sometimes bit mix of all 3. Touchup is easy and virtually invisible. And let's face it, we don't need much rust protection. Our cars do not have to withstand years of salted roads.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 10, 2017, 4:34 pm 

I've used Krylon for a couple of parts and was impressed. They seem to have rattle can technology down. I especially appreciated how quickly and completely the paint dried. The parts are not in high-wear areas but they still look good as new. That said, rattle cans are still rattle cans and you'll never get the best coverage with them.

PostPosted: September 19, 2017, 6:01 pm 

Near my previous house in Houston was a place that applied the galvanizing coating on lamp posts. I would see flatbed 18-wheelers arriving with un-galvanized parts and leaving with galvanized ones. Places like that ought to be able to accommodate the frame for a 7.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 1:55 pm 

Keep in mind, you will run into issues with welding after a frame or component is galvanized. If you weld on galvanized steel it gives off toxic fumes that will cause nausea. It’s not the end of the world and the effects are temporary. A remedy includes drinking buttermilk (gag me).
If welding on a new bracket or gusset, making a repair, etc, it’s best to grind off all the galvanizing at that spot and the area that will be heated. Use good ventilation and try to stay out of the fumes. After welding you could cold spray galvanize a coating back on but it prob won’t look the same as electro galvanized.
It’s your project and you know what appearance you can live with, just proceed with all of the facts. I don’t think these cars will need such extravagant protection from salted roads and corrosion and with the good paints available life will be much simpler.
Cheers,
Skidzzz

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 4:45 pm 

Galvanizers will not dip anything with closed tubes. The common solution to that is drilling holes to allow the zinc to enter and drain each tube that isn't open ended, but the drainage holes might prove embarrassingly large in 1 inch RHS.