LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 1:24 pm 

Has anyone made a format that calls out all the major componentry and gives the filler outer some room to jot notes about where found, how much $, phone numbers, what auto yard, hours of operation, etc.

I will make one in excel just for a place to keep thoughts about components, but thought if someone already had a format it would be a good start.

When I built my Factory 5 they had a inventory list, but it only covers the stuff that came in the kit and I filled in the rest via piece meal.

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 2:07 pm 

I don't think you are going to find an extensive end to end list since these things seem to have widely varying starting and finishing points. There are cut lists for frame parts but I think the joy for a lot of people is the deviation from the "plan" and they all end up sort of different based on goals and budget. I keep my own project sheet with all the need, bought, cost, source, actual cost, actual source and some other items.

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 2:20 pm 

Don't the "Book" builds give lists or suggested components?

This would also depend on what is available and reasonably priced in your region.

EG: European parts may be hard/expensive to find in the States or Aussie land

Miata may be the most geographically universal donor, but in my opinion don't tie yourself to a single donor.

Talk to those who have built more than one, like Jack. In fact he was doing some house cleaning of excess inventory recently.

http://www.kineticvehicles.com/parts.html

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 4:09 pm 

I had made something like that. I broke things down into categories like Engine, Suspension etc. it doesn't take much to spin your own in your favorite spreadsheet program. I highlighted the parts that were modified by me from their original form so not directly replacement worthy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 5:08 pm 

I started one too, thinking the State would need to know where everything came from. They didn't. Keeping the list up to date turned out to be not nearly as much fun as working on the car, so I dropped it. I generally knew what I needed when I needed it, and a lot of things I thought I might need early on, I didn't.

PostPosted: November 18, 2017, 9:46 am 

I used a spread sheet that is very simuliar to Chuck's. I along with the supplier, I added part number and contact info, plus a column if any modifications were required.
The last column was component cost in the X-cel sheet which gave a total project cost with each component up date.
I also made a spec sheet, by area such as power-train, body, suspension, brake system, etc. with P/N and supplier. [Every builder needs this to be able to get the correct replacement parts]
A 3rd document included all the improvements made to the Locost design and each component, plus
if the design improvement increased or decreased the Wt, again broken down by area.
The 4th document was just a list of every purchased part and it's cost, for taxes. Which was over kill because the secretary of state [ just looked at it for 10 sec] and then just took the last of the 6 pages, with the total cost of the items and the amount of Michigan sales taxes that I had proof of.
Dave W