LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 8:35 am 
We are Slotus!

zetec7 wrote:
Beware, though...any metal cut with one will reach a higher temperature than the surface of the sun, so don't grab any freshly cut bits, lest you leave parts of yourself stuck to the material like bacon to a stove element...
Attachment:
8 30 10 Duhhhh.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 10:59 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
iadr wrote:
Portable bands saws in stands. It's a thing. I made mine, and like it a lot.

Photo please...

Here's mine:

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 1:17 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
zetec7 wrote:
Beware, though...any metal cut with one will reach a higher temperature than the surface of the sun, so don't grab any freshly cut bits, lest you leave parts of yourself stuck to the material like bacon to a stove element...
Attachment:
8 30 10 Duhhhh.jpg

Yup - just like that! Did it myself, just yesterday! Again.

BTW, a can of spray-air (canned duster), inverted, shoots a stream of extreme cold. Use it to blast a piece of plate steel & then stick your fresh burn on it (gingerly). If you accomplish this quick enough, within a few seconds of burning yourself, it will alleviate the burn & prevent blistering, etc. Ask me how I know...and how many times I've done this! :roll:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 2:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

zetec7 wrote:

BTW, a can of spray-air (canned duster), inverted, shoots a stream of extreme cold. Use it to blast a piece of plate steel & then stick your fresh burn on it (gingerly). If you accomplish this quick enough, within a few seconds of burning yourself, it will alleviate the burn & prevent blistering, etc. Ask me how I know...and how many times I've done this! :roll:

At Earl's shop in GA, there was a jug of Gatorade that froze in the back of the fridge. Somehow, it got put in the freezer... Don't ask, because I have no idea why...

When I burnt myself doing something stupid like picking up the thang I had just welded, I would run for the fridge and hold that jug of Gatorade until I quit crying. More than once that action was accompanied by Earl saying, "G*dd*mitt, get back over here and clean that off so we can finish welding it!"

Tough crowd...
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 9:14 pm 

zetec7 wrote:

My rule of (burned) thumb that I would tell guys in the shop was to run the afflicted area under a strong stream of cold water from the sink until it hurt from the cold...that's usually several minutes. It works surprisingly well. Of course, I've always lived in places where the cold water out of the tap is damn cold.

I really think I would like to make one of those portable band saw stands. I have an abrasive chop saw but I think of so many things a band saw would be much better for!

PostPosted: January 5, 2018, 10:40 am 

Acerguy wrote:
I really think I would like to make one of those portable band saw stands. I have an abrasive chop saw but I think of so many things a band saw would be much better for!

It's hard to beat a chop saw for making square cuts in long stock, but for cutting plate to size and making brackets, it's hard to beat the bandsaw. It's honestly one of my most used tools in the garage - wood, pvc, metal, anything else.

PostPosted: January 18, 2018, 9:09 pm 

Thanks for the tips - I ended up making a band saw from my porta-band. It works well on the plate steel!

Attachment:
IMG_1801.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1802.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 19, 2018, 1:12 pm 

There you go! You've definitely taken on the Locost spirit. You'll be surprised at what other things you'll build before the end.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 7:15 am 

I use a bandsaw for any cutting job that is within its physical capacity. I do a lot of cutting that involves curves, so I use 1/4" blades. They are not very good on straight cuts, but overall the best blade for fabrication and the only kind I have. I do have three or four different tooth counts. They are hard to find, I use Lenox Neo Type from Bandsaw Blades Direct. They cut and weld to length.

I consider the bandsaw the unsung hero of my shop. It is incredllby useful. When I was building it, I thought I was putting more time into building it than I would ever spend using it. Was I ever wrong.

Bill

PostPosted: February 15, 2018, 7:17 pm 

Finally purchased a Metal cutting portable Band Saw a few months ago (Harbor Freight $99) I use Grinders, Cut-off wheels, Tiger Saw, hack saws and this Band Saw is by far the safest method to date. No Sparks and the stock I'm cutting does not catch suddenly and create chaos. For my chassis build I'm cutting different size square tubing and I made up a clamp-on cutting guide this weekend. So far the test cuts look promising. Cutting freehand would result in a bit of grinding to get the end cut straight.

PostPosted: February 17, 2018, 10:51 am 

Nice idea!

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886