LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tow Hook?
PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 11:57 am 

I took a page from rx7locost and have a hitch mount built into my frame that utilizes two mounting points. My plan for the rear of the car is to fabricate two tie down points that use the two hitch receivers for the rear. All they will be are short sections of 1 1/4"" square tube with small loops on the end for mybstraps to latch to. On the front I have two loops welded on that I scavenged from a jaguar xjs that my dad was parting out. I will have to cone up with some sort of tow point for track events but like above they would probably use the roll bar or cage.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 7:10 pm 

I like did something similar and welded in an 1-1/4 ID tube in the back. I did the same thing in the front and just triangulated my chassis around it. The tube in front and back where used together for my homemade rotisserie during my build. The rear one will be used for a hitch mount cargo rack to events, and for a tow hook on the track, that I hope never gets exercised.
Attachment:
Rotisserie2.jpg

Attachment:
rear hitch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 7:54 pm 

jaf wrote:
1-1/4 ID tube in the back. I did the same thing in the front

A front hitch is handy when moving a trailer around on a small lot...

PostPosted: October 3, 2018, 2:17 pm 

davew wrote:
When I built my frame, I added a couple internal nuts into the bottom of the frame tubes. This will allow me to screw in an eye bolt if needed. This assumes that I have access to the bottom frame rail and not in 7" of mud. You can carry the eye bolt in the tool bag so there isn't any change in ground clearance. Just keep a 1/2" button head screw in the eye bolt location to keep the threads clean.
Dave W

Something to consider...

We have a contemporary Ford Escape. There's nothing on the front end to hook to in the event of a tow. Has a little plastic tab you remove which exposes a threaded hole into which you can screw an (optional) tow hook.

Been meaning to get a tow hook, since they don't come with one from the factory, but I briefly thought about making one. How hard could it be, right?

Turns out it uses a reverse thread. I was told on the Escape forums that this is because cable is twisted clockwise. So if you're being towed and the cable tenses, it tends to unwind the twist counterclockwise, which would potentially unscrew a conventionally threaded tow hook, leading to making a bad day a lot worse.

I'm not sure if this is true, or if it's even a common occurrence that's being designed around, but I thought I'd throw it out there...