LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: S10 powered locost
PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 9:31 am 

As far as a rear axle for the car goes, a posi is a must. Would an s10 rear end be able to handle the ecoboost, or do I need to step up to something stronger? If so what rear end would you suggest?

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 10:19 am 

WK, i was at this point not long ago lol... was looking at the (narrow) S10 axle to match a 46" kingpin to kingpin front axle, but due to the significant torque gain of the ecoboost with the Ford power pack ECM i went with the good old Mustang 8.8/lsd and bought a 48" kp front axle to (almost) match its wider track

Btw Ford used wider axles in the same axle housing (iirc .75" wider each side on the 96 ish model year and 1.5" wider on the 2000 ish and on 8.8 )
This makes it possible to narrow a newer axle by swapping in older axles ( or even Ranger axles) ....
I found my fairly low miles 8.8 with lsd for $300 on local CL

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 12:37 pm 

Could you explain further on the axles and the lsd. What front axle are you running on yours?

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 1:11 pm 

this is the axle I bought ;

iirc the 96-98 axle housing is identical to the pre 96 axle, ford just changed the drive axle shape to make room for the ABS toner ring,
what resulted in a 1.5" wider track overall.
I think in 99 or 2000 (sn-95 generation ?) the drive axles got wider by another 1.5" to fit the wider body and compensate for more backspaced wheels
but according to some mustang forums the basic axle housing was still the same.
was reading that pre 96 (4 lug) mustang guys like to switch to Ranger axles as a cheap 5lug conversion (same track) ... so in theory the narrower 5 lug Ranger axles should fit the 96 and on mustang 8.8 as well (but you may need to do some more research on that)

i run a solid forged axle beam (basic `30 ford hotrod axle) that is available in 46 or 48" kingpin distance ... the 48" axle ended up very close to the 98 8.8 track so I'm not going to bother with narrowing it down with Ranger axles
(I'm also going to run 16x6.5" rims with a modern -42mm offset so I'm not going to be overly wide for my only 88" wb)

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 9:47 am 

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the Haynes manual that they are willing to share?

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 10:06 am 

The Gibbs book? The "Tiger Avon" book is much better. Ostensibly it's a combination of advertisement and assembly manual for the Avon, but in practice it's way better than the Gibbs book from Haynes.

I only bought the Avon book for completeness, but I was pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 11:04 am 

I am looking for plans for the 221 chassis referred to in Gibbs book. What size are the avon plans?

PostPosted: May 11, 2018, 12:57 pm 

The main issue I am having at the moment is choosing a drive train. The engines I have chosen so far while promising in the beginning, have all been eliminated. The S10 pushrod was chosen because it was cheap. I then looked at the ford ecoboost however the cheapest I could find it was 2.5k. After I eliminated that I looked into the 1996 chevy camaro rs engine. Its a 3.8 l v6 that has 200hp and gets 30mpg. This engine would require me to modify the chassis to the point that the front would have an obvious bulge. I want to make sure I do this right. I dont want to put in all the work of building a car and it not meeting the goals I have set for it. I would like to have an engine that fits the 221 chassis without a major bulge. I dont mind a small bulge in the front area of the car however I dont want it to be ridiculous. Another goal for this car is i would like it to be around 200hp, with about 30mpg. I also like the idea of a 4 cylinder in the car as i like to idea of keeping true to an original locost (to an extent). I know that my prebuild is all over the place but I just want to make sure that my build is satisfying in the end. I dont mean to waste anyones time by asking questions about something and then not using it. I appreciate everyones comments, advice, and critiques. Now on to the current potential engine which I believe will be the one I choose if I can solve the transmission issue. The engine I am looking at is a 2006 audi a4 2.0T engine. The car is all wheel drive and needs a different transmission in order to run rwd. Does anyone have any advice on the best transmission to replace it. Thanks

PostPosted: May 11, 2018, 1:43 pm 

WisconsinKnight wrote:
The main issue I am having at the moment is choosing a drive train. ....... The engine I am looking at is a 2006 audi a4 2.0T engine. The car is all wheel drive and needs a different transmission in order to run rwd. Does anyone have any advice on the best transmission to replace it. Thanks

Try doing a search here for user Botbasher. I believe that he knows quite a bit about this sort of thing.

PostPosted: May 11, 2018, 4:01 pm 

My confusion lies in that I can find adapters for the 1.8 but not the 2 l. Am I missing something obvious?

PostPosted: May 11, 2018, 8:23 pm 

I haven't been able to find an adapter plate made for the 2 l only the 1.8l. Does anyone have any evperience with having a custom adapter made? If so around how much would it cost.

PostPosted: May 12, 2018, 11:06 am 

@WisconsinKnight

It's probably very frustrating for you, but you're really doing the right thing at the right time in terms of reasoning through your possible choices, and the consequences of selecting one over the other.

I went through much the same process. I started out wanting to do a true Haynes roadster using a Mercury Merkur as a donor. It was all the standard Haynes stuff + a turbo charger to satisfy my need for speed. Long story short, that wasn't likely to happen in real life, so I evaluated a whole bunch of possible donors before I elected to buy one. In my case, I wanted one that I could use for the engine, transmission, rear axle and front suspension, and that I could buy at an affordable price. It took me somewhere between 8-12 months to get to that point, as I remember.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 20, 2018, 12:12 pm 

I Ann looking at buying a welder to start my frame. Does anyone know if this welder is worth the 400 they are asking? It comes with a full tank of argon based gas and a box of new tips.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugq5eme1z79tk ... M.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: May 20, 2018, 11:41 pm 

I could only see one photo. It looks to be in poor condition to me and quite old.

Did you want a TIG welder for sure? MIG welders are less expensive and easier to learn and use if your main goal is to build a Locost.

There are a number of companies producing decent low-end MIG welders. Miller and Lincoln both have versions. So does Hobart. Everlast (https://www.everlastgenerators.com/) is another company putting out some nice products for a little less money.

Also, Harbor Freight has a new line of welders that go under the Vulcan brand. They've been getting some pretty good reviews on this new line of welders. Here's an example of a low-end MIG welder of theirs ==> https://www.harborfreight.com/migmax-14 ... 63616.html

Do a Google search for reviews of the Harbor Freight example. It's ~$200 less than most of their competitors. It has all you need except the gas bottle and gas fill up.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 21, 2018, 1:15 am 

WisconsinKnight

Listen to Lonnie, good advice.

I looked at the picture also, I was more interested in the BBQ beside it.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next