LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: S10 powered locost
PostPosted: April 5, 2018, 10:48 pm 

My D/D is a Focus with a 2L Duratec. Gutsy little motor, torquey too! If I'm feelin' lazy, I can loaf along in 4th or 5th gear. If I wanta play, I can wind it out through all the gears. The one time I was able to go out and run with the Locosts, I didn't have to make excuses for its performance!

PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 4:47 pm 

I was watching a video on the caterham kits and apparently they use a 2l duratec with a supercharger. Does anyone have any information on the exact setup they run?

PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 6:09 pm 

Before you start thinking about things like superchargers, you might want find someone that'll give you a ride in one. Even with smaller engines, these little cars will open your eyes with their performance! :shock:

PostPosted: April 11, 2018, 2:57 pm 

I have been reading more posts on chassis design before I build my own. Am I correct that the haynes manual chassis is essentially the book chassis widened by two inches, and the +4 chassis is the book chassis widened by 4 inches?

PostPosted: April 11, 2018, 3:31 pm 

Basically correct. The Haynes is what's called a 2-2-1. 2" wider, 2" longer, and 1" taller. A +4 would (probably) be 4" wider, although they could be a 4-4-2 (wider, longer, taller) as well as possibly some other variations on that theme.

PostPosted: April 12, 2018, 10:03 am 

WisconsinKnight wrote:
I have been reading more posts on chassis design before I build my own. Am I correct that the haynes manual chassis is essentially the book chassis widened by two inches, and the +4 chassis is the book chassis widened by 4 inches?

For a visual comparison of the "Book" chassis versus the Haynes (Gibbs) chassis go here ==> http://www.kineticvehicles.com/MAX.html and scroll half way down the page.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 13, 2018, 10:39 pm 

I recently got in touch with the owner of the S10 to inspect the full extent of damages to the vehicle. I was told the only damages were to the driver door and frame, however upon inspecting the vehicle I found that the engine block had fractured and was scrap. I still plan on continuing my build, however I will be using a different powertrain, one more suitable to what I would like to use mine for.

PostPosted: April 13, 2018, 10:59 pm 

For the engine I am looking at a turbo 13b RX-7 engine backed by 12A primary injectors and 1600cc secondary injectors. I will be using a reinforced toyota R154 five speed gearbox linked to the engine using a series five FC3S RX-7 bellhousing and an adapter plate. The clutch would be a Tilton twin plate clutch and the rear end would be out of a toyota tacoma. I would like to have an ECU capable of controlling the amount of boost that is being utilized in each gear(ex. 6psi in 1st gear, 10psi in 2nd, and so forth). I would also like to be able to program modes into the ecu to change the driving mode(ex track mode maxing out at 200-250hp, drag mode for maximum performance, and a highway mode) I have borrowed ideas on this build from several builds others have done and pieced them together to form this plan, as such if anyone notices a potential issue please feel free to tell me i'm doing something improperly. I am also curious on if it would comfortably fit in a haynes chassis or if the engine would stick out. I would like to avoid a hood bulge if possible and an wondering if I should move up to the 442 chassis.

PostPosted: April 14, 2018, 12:32 am 

Well, we've got a number of guy here that have done the Mazda rotary thing, so info should be forthcoming!

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 1:35 pm 

After further research into the 13b motor I don't believe I will be using it. Does anyone have the dimensions of the 2015 onward mustang ecoboost engine?

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 1:51 pm 

Welcome to the mad house. There are several 7's being built in Wisconsin. Where in the state are you? Tundra is in Green Bay. I'll have my 7 up at Door Co. in late June and early July. Russ

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 5:45 pm 

I'm in marinette right on the border with Michigan.

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 11:54 am 

WisconsinKnight wrote:
After further research into the 13b motor I don't believe I will be using it. Does anyone have the dimensions of the 2015 onward mustang ecoboost engine?

Cant help you with the 2.3 ecoboost, but i just got my 2.0 ecoboost, so i could give you any dimensions yiu need off of it ;)

Btw may check the Ford Performance web site ; i know there is a CAD pdf of the 2.0 ... never checked but maybe there is also a 2.3 pdf ?!?

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 2:10 pm 

I looked at the PDF attached to the ford performanve page it leads to a cad drawing with no measurements. For some reason the measurements for the 2.3l are proving difficult to find. I would prefer to use the 2.3l but may end up using the 2l and would appreciate the measurements.

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 2:50 pm 

Go to this page https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/M-6007-23T_dimensions.pdf and you may find what you are looking for.
Walt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next