LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie Intro.
PostPosted: November 30, 2018, 4:19 pm 

So I've been lurking here for quite some time and have finally decided to build a 7... I've got the the space and tools and have built older Bimmers and Beemers and Minis and Ducatis and Rovers so I'm a gluten for punishment.

My fist question: I'm building my frame and using a Miata donor. I keep hearing "book" frame - Does this term cover BOTH Haynes books by Gibbs AND Champion? I also really dig the Vodou (sp?) plans for the emphasis on using a Miata. Would either of the aforementioned authored-books lend itself to Vodou mods?

I'm REALLY looking forward to the build AND the wisdom this forum is full of!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro.
PostPosted: November 30, 2018, 6:43 pm 

Gibbs and Champion frames are different sizes. The Champion is the smaller of the two so if you are am "American" size driver you might want the Gibbs frame. Also if you are building a Cahamion frame be advised there are some errors in the books dimensions. Also please put your location in your avatar so people will know what area of the world you are. You might get someone to give you a ride in a Locost. Also put your location in your avatar. Maybe someone will give you a ride in one. Russ

PostPosted: November 30, 2018, 8:52 pm 

The Miata running gear has been fitted to several types of chassis including the Champion and Haynes (Gibbs) Roadster chassis.

As has been pointer out, the Haynes Roadster is larger than the Champion chassis. The Vodou chassis is a variant of the Haynes Roadster. There is another family of chassis based on the original Champion design. These are the McSorely variants, which vary the length, width and height of the Champion design.

You can find examples of all of the above (including the Vodou) with Miata running gear here on this website. It might be worth your while to poke around and look at examples of each design to see which one you like best.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 1, 2018, 12:42 am 

emmodg wrote:
My fist question: I'm building my frame and using a Miata donor. I keep hearing "book" frame - Does this term cover BOTH Haynes books by Gibbs AND Champion? I also really dig the Vodou (sp?) plans for the emphasis on using a Miata. Would either of the aforementioned authored-books lend itself to Vodou mods?

You got the answer on this one... I'm convinced that most of us abandon the plans at some point along the line, no matter what plan set we use.

Your choice of sizes might be determined by rear end measurements -- both you and the donor axle system.

I got into an original Seven once. I'm 230 or so pounds, 38" waist pants, and the experience was like getting into a kayak (or mummy bag w/o unzipping it). Had to remove shoes to get to pedals.

The Champion chassis is 42" wide, which is 3" wider (??) than the original Seven. However, some of this butt space was taken up by a needlessly wide center tunnel... might be 1-2" more butt space?

The Haynes / Gibbs chassis is 45" wide, and this is the one that the Vodou mods modify for the Miata bits. It also incorporates a bunch of the "Aussie mods" and other ideas that came along after Ron Champion wrote his book. While this Haynes book is out of print, there are *some* on here with a PDF file of the thing. There is a big Haynes ecosystem in the UK I think. The original Brunton Stalker is this size, if for no other reason than the S10 rear end that they use is perfect for this size. I think that with a simple modification you can see 4" more butt width than the Champion book.

There are plans out there for chassis that are 4" wider, 4" longer and 2" taller (aka "442"). This one is for American-sized butts.

emmodg wrote:
I'm REALLY looking forward to the build AND the wisdom this forum is full of!

Wisdom? Here? I never welded before, saw the Champion book, and decided to use this as my first welding project... I'm a liberal arts grad...

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: December 1, 2018, 10:59 am 

The "book" that everyone is referring to is the Ron Champion book that started this crazy thing titled "Build Your Own Sports Car for as Little as £250 and Race It!" The book frame does not include IRS plans. Although it can be modified without too much trouble. I did. And the suspension "will" have to be changed from a book frame as our donor uprights are different here in the USA. Most of us do that anyway as our goals are varied.

An American male body can fit in a book frame. I am/was 5'8" and 190lbs and easily fit with plenty of room to spare. A 6' 240lbs body also fits. A lot depends on what seats are used and the size of your shoes. Footwell width is limited. A removable steering wheel and/or tilt wheel helps the in and out issue a bunch. It is not so much about the size of the chassis, but how the rest is put together IMO.

I had 17.5" available seat width in my book chassis. Take a couple of pieces of plywood set at 17.5" and see how you might fit. BTW another reference point is that airline economy seats are typically between 17 and 17.5 inches wide.

A Miata engine needs a bit taller car then a book frame to fit under the bonnet. Maybe an inch or so. That may have an influence on what chassis you use as the aesthetics will change. Depending on your vision, it may drive you to a larger frame rather than having a taller bonnet and scuttle. It is your car, your vision.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 1, 2018, 11:41 am 

First of all, Welcome! Second, I would like to second what Russ (trialsmangasgas) said, "put your location in your avatar so people will know what area of the world you are. You might get someone to give you a ride in a Locost"! Also, we try to be a helpful bunch, so if someone is nearby, they might even come over and help with the construction.

Thirdly, in regards to the "who can fit in what" question, I'm a "Plus" size lad (6' 0", 260#s), and I have ridden in a book size car. It was snug to say the least, and I wouldn't want to do a cross-country run in one, but I DID fit. I'm planning on building a Haynes/Miata car which is what-they-call a "2-2-1" chassis, 2" longer, 2" wider, and 1" taller.

So once again, "Welcome"! :cheers:

PostPosted: December 1, 2018, 4:52 pm 

Thanks so much everyone!

So I'm just under 6' and 175 and Like the idea of the smaller frame. I'm leaning toward the Gibbs/Haynes-book frame. I'd like to build something as close to "old-school-7" looking as possible with some slight changes.

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 12:02 am 

emmodg wrote:
I'm leaning toward the Gibbs/Haynes-book frame. I'd like to build something as close to "old-school-7" looking as possible with some slight changes.

So you're looking at a 221 chassis -- 2" longer, 2" wider and 1" taller.

I'm posting a pic of the original Seven chassis. As you can see, it's a ton different than the Seven -- ie, no tubes down the center near the drive shaft.

The clones looks "mostly" the same though. Aside from the difference I've already mentioned, visual differences seem to be that the driver is more rearward (pretty much between the 2 rear tires?) in the original, and the dash on the original seems to be moved back a bit. The clones are taller to accommodate the modern overhead valve engines. Having said that, most people won't know the difference.

Attachment:
lotus s2 to Caterham frame.jpg

Attachment:
SEven frame 1969.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 12:54 am 

Thanks!

It always appeared to me as though the original 7 was a bit smaller... I like the original scuttle/dash framing and rear tubular and curved wheel arch as well.

PostPosted: December 3, 2018, 9:32 am 

I have a book sized car in the Columbia MD area. A little far away from you but if your ever in the area you can try it out for size.

Graham

PostPosted: December 7, 2018, 10:32 pm 

Ok - I got the Gibbs and Tanner books...I’ll be building my frame table shortly hopefully. And then it’s “steel” time!

PostPosted: December 7, 2018, 10:48 pm 

This is a great video on Petrolicious for motivation!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F0btJhizRXA#

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 1:28 am 

emmodg wrote:
This is a great video on Petrolicious for motivation!

Good one!!!

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 11:04 am 

I Don't speak French, but I enjoyed the video none the less. Simple is good.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 9, 2018, 9:39 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Emmodg-
First of all, welcome to the forum! Good luck with your design/build.

I designed my own frame. The passenger compartment (one-seater) was designed by me sitting on a life size cardboard drawing of the frame.

In other words, I'm no help at all... Sorry... :mrgreen:
But feel free to drop in over at the Team Slotus build log and continuous soiree any time!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom